Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Seeing the fiddle yard like that, are you planning on adding any storage shelves for stock underneath? Remember that when Andy and I descend, we will be bringing a fair bit of stock and it all has to go somewhere :)

I envisage you sat out front in the operating well, wondering what will appear next :D

Seeing the fiddle yard like that, are you planning on adding any storage shelves for stock underneath? Remember that when Andy and I descend, we will be bringing a fair bit of stock and it all has to go somewhere :)

I envisage you sat out front in the operating well, wondering what will appear next :D

2 X 40 Wagon minerals come to mind Jason, then there could be my 15 Milk tanks, or how about 50 or so Vans? :senile: :senile: :senile:

Confuse him! :no:  we will destroy him :nono: , he will have to look in both directions at once :stinker: :stinker: .

Now that is therapy, I need some of that.

Bodge :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

We would have to shout out the loco address, 'Forward' or 'Reverse' and 'Fast' or 'Slow', leave the rest as a surprise for an unsuspecting operator :D

He wouldn't even know which end they were coming from !

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, some good looking shots of the whole layout you have there. On one of the photos you seem to have at least a loco's worth of Peco turnouts.

Anymore thoughts on train detection? After all you won't always have Bodgit and SS shouting out, "Slow a bit, a bit more, Stopppp!!

• RMweb Premium

2 X 40 Wagon minerals come to mind Jason, then there could be my 15 Milk tanks, or how about 50 or so Vans? :senile:

Confuse him! :no:  we will destroy him :nono: , he will have to look in both directions at once :stinker: :stinker: .

Now that is therapy, I need some of that.

Bodge :sungum:

We would have to shout out the loco address, 'Forward' or 'Reverse' and 'Fast' or 'Slow', leave the rest as a surprise for an unsuspecting operator :D

He wouldn't even know which end they were coming from !

That reminds me of an episode from the 1960s series The Man from UNCLE. In order to prevent doom and destruction, Napoleon Solo (Robert Vaughn) had to control several trains on a small layout, each doing a scale speed of over 100mph. It was ridiculous - but in keeping with the trend of the programmes!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, some good looking shots of the whole layout you have there. On one of the photos you seem to have at least a loco's worth of Peco turnouts.

Anymore thoughts on train detection? After all you won't always have Bodgit and SS shouting out, "Slow a bit, a bit more, Stopppp!!

Jonathan, you are quite correct. I think there are 8 Peco turnouts and an un-opened box of 25 lengths of Peco code 75. I bought this stuff in June last year when I was planning on using it for KL - before SMP/Marcway took over!

I've kept it in case Bodgit needed it for a future layout. If he decides he doesn't want it, I'll flog it at a heavy discount to any Lunester that wants it.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Jonathan, you are quite correct. I think there are 8 Peco turnouts and an un-opened box of 25 lengths of Peco code 75. I bought this stuff in June last year when I was planning on using it for KL - before SMP/Marcway took over!

I've kept it in case Bodgit needed it for a future layout. If he decides he doesn't want it, I'll flog it at a heavy discount to any Lunester that wants it.

Jeff

May be he will swap one of his weathered engines for them, he can't possibly have room to run them all even if his new home was Chatsworth. There again, there may be just enough room in Chatsworth.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very well planned Jeff. I was late coming to KL so I missed the planning bit (and it goes too fast to have time to look back). So I have been thinking I hope he has tested the track properly it is a bit late now. While all the time you had it covered - no actually you had the important bits uncovered and accessible. For my planned loft layout it will be less easy no room to get behind (well you could but due to the roof slope no access to the layout). Access from above will be restricted by the sloping roof above. Hmmm carefull planning and some removeable scenery in front I think.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very well planned Jeff. I was late coming to KL so I missed the planning bit (and it goes too fast to have time to look back). So I have been thinking I hope he has tested the track properly it is a bit late now. While all the time you had it covered - no actually you had the important bits uncovered and accessible. For my planned loft layout it will be less easy no room to get behind (well you could but due to the roof slope no access to the layout). Access from above will be restricted by the sloping roof above. Hmmm carefull planning and some removeable scenery in front I think.

Don

Ok, Don. My last layout was utterly brilliant (ha, ha :no:  :no:  :jester:  :jester:  :no:  :no: ), except for the following "minor" problems (in no particular order)...

Double level with gradients too steep for most steamers

Track in corners that were inaccessible, despite my best efforts to provide access

Lack of operational interest

Mostly setrack code 100 with awful toy-style crossovers - I thought they looked good until I saw what "real" modellers were using

No fiddle yard

Too many pre-bought structures (eg. Skaledale buildings by the hatful)

Solenoid, bang-bang operated points

Very tight radius curves (MAXIMUM around 24", KL has MINIMUM 27" with most around 40" and some over 70")

The rocks and scenery were nice!

So I spent a bit more time planning KL. Well, around 2 years by the time I started the layout build proper.

When I started the last layout in 2003 I didn't appreciate the virtues of storage, scratchbuilding, weathering, flexitrack, SMP code 75 etc etc etc..... Boy, what a learning curve. Great fun!

I've just spent over an hour scanning through hundreds of images of delapidated bothies and equivalent. Such a range of clapped-out buildings, I can justify ANYTHING I build!!!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Now I'm back in the swing of things I've been catching up a bit on here and other threads. Nice photos of the behind the scenes bits, I'm really very jealous of your space, as always. More than anything, the one thing I had to compromise to fit my layout in was fiddle yard space.  :scratchhead:  I feel I may regret this. :O

Looks great, and the Fells are looking Awesome!

Cheers,

Al.

Edit: As requested :D more photos on my thread now...

Edited by acg_mr

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Now I'm back in the swing of things I've been catching up a bit on here and other threads. Nice photos of the behind the scenes bits, I'm really very jealous of your space, as always. More than anything, the one thing I had to compromise to fit my layout in was fiddle yard space.  :scratchhead:  I feel I may regret this. :O

Looks great, and the Fells are looking Awesome!

Cheers,

Al.

Edit: As requested :D more photos on my thread now...

There are always compromises to be made and there's only so much you can do.

I'd like to have built a bigger fiddle yard for storage and because of the increase in operating potential.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The links below give an idea of the kind of structure that'll sit on the hillside. In the absence of a definitive building to work on, I'll hybridise some of the features...

http://www.leaney.org/photos/2008/20080816zf.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4050/4497994588_05d340e71a_b.jpg

I'm still scanning through thousands of photos so if anyone has other suitable links, please post them on here.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

As you may have seen on my thread (just now), I've been popping 3 links in more of my stock and locos. I say 'popping' but in reality there has been some swearing, sawing, epoxy resining (not sure that's a word but hey ;) ) and general hacking. Anyhow, as a result, I took the following pic and thought that I would show you it (Jeff) - a 3F on a mixed freight of 31 wagons; something you'll be able to do for real soon (I can't run anywhere near this long a train on Bacup)

Freight006_zps27518fa5.jpg

And just in case you are terrified that my stock will no longer be compatible with your KL stock, I made a barrier wagon with a tension lock and 3 link hook (Kadee will fit in the tension lock side for hooking up with Andy's wagons). So may I present............ the most (overly) heavily weathered 16 tonner in existence. Ready for the scrap yard? I should think so!!!!

Freight014_zps3db2b7d2.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Rob, I really like the green livery on that early-crest A3...."Ladas" again, I presume?

Is the green different from your other A3s? Is the tone a consequence of the weathering process?

No A3s for me at the moment, mind. Too much rolling stock to sort out - of the more basic kind....wagons!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Yes, keep those 3Fs coming - Ray is playing with one now - no, no, not running it, improving it - so anything you can throw this way that will help me keep him positive will be most appreciated...  :D

Happy builder, happy builder's mate...  :friends: 

Nice work everyone...

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Wagons......

you are going to need a lot of these; 16 tonners in their various guises. Clean ones look daft although I may have gone over the top with the weathering of a couple of these.

The Parkside kits is a doddle to knock together although as you may spot, the buffer shanks are a bit flimsy so I am in the process of replacing them with Lanarkshire Models whitemetal ones (the ones with shiny silver buffers - not yet painted them)

Freight015_zpsb6663e98.jpg

Some of these; 21 ton hoppers. These are the Parkside BR built ones although Hornby, Dapol (and in the past, Replica and Mainline) have made RTR ones. I have a load of the RTR ones as well but when placed next to these, the lack of handrails (other than moulded on ones) and other missing details show up. And yes, I know that one of the levers has fallen off; I spotted it when looking at the photo. Not much use for these in Bacup (no coal drops) but I like them so they are staying.

Freight035_zps7a3ad781.jpg

I would also go for a load of 5 and 6 plank opens for your earlier running period as vans weren't as commonly used back then. Speaking of vans and opens.......

Parkside low sided open and BR built ply sided van

Freight021_zps58794705.jpg

Parkside Palvan (Pallet van, built for loading with forklift trucks, I believe)

Freight020_zps9bda4da8.jpg

And just because I like it, a Dapol Grain wagon, weathered by yours truly :)

I also have 3 of the Parkside LNER built wooden grain hoppers, all built and bought before I embarked on Bacup. But, there was a mill in Bacup, served by a private siding, that used grain so that is my justification :)

Freight019_zps468ded47.jpg

And at the back, guards vans.This is the Parkside MR built van, same as Bachmann are releasing later this year. Hornby also make an ex-LMS van that both you and I (and anyone modelling ex-LMS) need by the truckload but it needs a fair bit of fettling. If only they would upgrade and re-release it, I'm sure they would sell thousands. In fact, I've included a photo of mine; handrails replaced with wire ones, ballast box added underneath, crying out to be weathered.

Freight023_zpsed820bb7.jpg

Freight036_zps8a4a419e.jpg

Tony the Tiger says "Wagons are GRRRRRREAT"  :D

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

And for Ray & Polly, a few shots of my 3F. Not sure how to improve on the Bachy model myself as I don't know enough about them, although I do know that the tender brake shoes aren't in line with the wheels.

All I have done is renumber, weather, add real coal, glue the fall plate in place to stop it falling (:D) and add screw link couplings, which necessitated the use of a piercing saw on the front buffer beam as it is solid metal.

Freight033_zps29099bfe.jpg

Freight031_zps638acb39.jpg

Freight028_zpse8ef83ca.jpg

I hope these posts aren't considered off topic, but I consider wagons and MR locos very much ON topic for an S&C layout, so there :P

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Jason, you've clearly been a busy lad! Lovely pics, much appreciated.

The wagon side of things is something I'll be sorting out over the next year or so. I've got a lot of 5 and 7 plank wagons, along with 16t minerals from previous purchases for the old layout. I'll get these sorted for starters.

My priorities for the rest of the year are to build the cottage, complete the aqueduct, tie in the aqueduct-cutting bit of the hillside and then start making the platforms for KL station. I just need to get my head round things and then my obsessive nature will do the rest!

In Cumbria now. Back sometime next week. So no bunker action, but I'll be posting on here....

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Jeff, Jason, you're a bad influence. :nono:

I have now been forced, FORCED I tell you, to go and buy a 3F, and it's all your fault :D

Of course, the fact that my local emporium is currently knocking them out at £66.50 a pop has NOTHING whatsoever to do with it... :sungum:

I just need to start saving for the 4Fs now...

:D

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, Jason, you're a bad influence. :nono:

I have now been forced, FORCED I tell you, to go and buy a 3F, and it's all your fault :D

Of course, the fact that my local emporium is currently knocking them out at £66.50 a pop has NOTHING whatsoever to do with it... :sungum:

I just need to start saving for the 4Fs now...

:D

Al, you got a bargain there. I guess that was the LMS or Early Crest version?

Beautiful little model - looks as good as the 4Fs.

If you blame Jason and myself, I blame Jason and Bodgit! Nevermind, we're all happy!!

Jeff