Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

I'm another with real books- currently got 2 on the go, with a hard cover that I haven't started, along with a short story anthology in the car.  (Head ON! (collisions of egos,ethics and politics in BC's transport history), Destroyermen Firestorm (Si-Fi),  Further Adventures of Batman (Si-Fi anthology, in the car) and sitting waiting is king of mountains, SM Stirling (Si-Fi).  I have something like 7 bookshelves around here full of books & magazines, including MRJ from 67 onward, and the last 3 years of MRC (& loose copies from before that, including as many issues with "midland from nationalization to electrification" series), Model Engineer from 39-52 (the small issues) and a full bookshelf of Si-Fi books, including every SM Stirling book, and most David Drake books, as well as Elizabeth Moon & a bunch of other writers. 

(sorry, have to go, little boy wants to go downstairs with me !)

James 

• RMweb Premium

Can't do without books.  Can't do without the computer, either.

Stats are a big science in the library especially when they start doing national comparisons. AHAHAHAH.    :laugh:

Andy - the exhibition is in the Slate Museum, Llanberis, 14-17 February.  We're taking Avago (I've threatened to take 14xx 1466) and Camel Quay (work in progress)

Congratulations Aberdare on your new title...do we call you "Mister" now?  :good:

Polly

Apprentice Loony

:read:  Anyone understand Rule 13a Subsection iiiB?

• RMweb Premium

I'm delighted that the Lunesters not only have an appreciation of railways and modelling, but are also so discerning when it comes to books. So much to talk about whenever we meet.

I'm still ploughing-on with my current read. More coffee. will it be a 4am bedtime like last night?

Regarding Kirkby Luneside. I'm extremely excited at the prospect of some motive power being possible in the near future and a "little" bit of woodwork.....

Jeff

Stats are a big science in the library especially when they start doing national comparisons. AHAHAHAH.    :laugh:

Andy - the exhibition is in the Slate Museum, Llanberis, 14-17 February.  We're taking Avago (I've threatened to take 14xx 1466) and Camel Quay (work in progress)

Congratulations Aberdare on your new title...do we call you "Mister" now?  :good:

Polly

Apprentice Loony

Ha

Polly

Apprentice Loony

Have a good show Poly, and if you see Peter Midwinter, (Trains 12), say hello from me, have a goodun.

Old Lunester 

Morning Jeff, I am looking forward to watching your work on THE HILL it will be interesting to see how you approach each section, woodwork, plaster, grass, walls derilect barn etc. That is the bit I am looking forward to on Glenfinfick, as being N Gauge I will be able to lose the railway into the scenery which of corse I can't do in O or OO in 9ft x 2ft.

It will be good to see that tunnel mouth blend into the grass and I can enviage the 8F pounding out of the tunnel with an unfitted freight and along over that splendid viaduct.

As you say it will bring the thread back to life, BUT I don't think that the thread has lost its way OR appeal, it is just that we all have the Christmas Blues and like you with this BOOK THING once you ge a new toy you just want to play with it.

Now talking of books I am not a reader, except for the Railway Mags, occasional Art and Guitar Mags, I think that BRM has come on in leaps and bounds since Andy York has been involved, it was the one Mag I would not buy but now I think it has come on so strong it is a great competitor to the mainstream RM. Model Rail I feel has lost it's way a bit with too many projects that are beyound mere mortals. Take for example a few issues ago with the up grade on Hornbys Railroad 31. O.K. weather it, flush glaze, fit a crew and pipes at the ends, BUT as for changing roof fans and that sort of thing then I think you need to spend money on a better model to start with, (RANT OVER) hahah. I do like Hornby Mag I now feel that is equal to RM and is a joy to read, especially the Reality Check, and the amount of NEW LAYOUTS they build is always an insperation.

Coffee over, now time to take Sally for a walk in this glorious Derbyshire Sunshine.

Old Lune. :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning Andy,

Yes, the building of the hill will be great fun. There are much quicker and cheaper ways to do it than the method I use, but I can't be doing with insubstantial structures. I like what I build to be solid and permanent.

Couldn't agree more about BRM. I felt it was falling way behind the others and very rarely bought a copy. Since last summer I've got them all. The RMweb input has made a huge difference. As for Hornby - well, it's interesting that their latest Yearbook is based around a Midland Railway project - including a valley and viaduct. Now where've you seen that before!

It's a crisp, sunny morning but, alas, I've got some Physics work to do - it's exam time and my help is needed. Will chat to you later! Enjoy your walk....

Jeff

Arise Freeman Aberdare. I promote thee from the rank of serf!! 

Maybe the book etc thing is an age thing. The series of books I'm finishing at the moment are each around 2" thick and a bit on the heavy side. But they are a pleasure to possess. Must admit I'm impressed with the Kindle though. Being able to download some long-out-of-print sci-fi from the mid-70s was a treat!!

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I'm firmly in the "Kindle" camp, my wife bought it for me 12 months ago and it goes everywhere with me now.

I'm working nights tonight so I'm taking a couple of LMS Brake vans to add transfers and lamps to in the wee small hours, I will also get on with the S&C loco list I promised you.

Ian

Signalling Lunester

• RMweb Premium

Ha

Have a good show Poly, and if you see Peter Midwinter, (Trains 12), say hello from me, have a goodun.

Old Lunester 

Thanks, Andy.  Will pass on the message.

I saw a pair of really warm boots just before Christmas thinking they'll do for standing around on the stone slab floor for four days and bought them.  I was supposed to have been buying Christmas christmas_gifts.gif  presents   :laugh:

It snowed last year... chill.gif  and the ride-upons miniature steam trains outside in the yard kept going.  Such dedication.

Maybe the book etc thing is an age thing. The series of books I'm finishing at the moment are each around 2" thick and a bit on the heavy side. But they are a pleasure to possess. Must admit I'm impressed with the Kindle though. Being able to download some long-out-of-print sci-fi from the mid-70s was a treat!!

Jeff

I must say that my wife downloads a few out of print books but most of the time we pick them up from 2nd hand Bookshops, we go down to Hay every couple of years and stock up as well as an annual visit to Barter books in Alnwick. We have managed to pick up a lot that way.

I used to read a lot of Sci-Fi in the 70s, Edgar Rice Burroughs and Ray Bradbury spring to mind as being some favourites, but tastes change and it is a lot different now though I did read a book called Anathem by Neal Stephenson a couple of years back, which involved Quantum Mechanics and planetary debate or something like that. One of my favourite series though were the Duncton Chronicles in the early 90s and still have the complete set.

Right I'll let you get back to your reading.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Shall we be calling it a Fell, rather than a Hill...?  It's just that I think Hill doesn't have a very Yorkshire ring to it.....

Scott

Yes Scott, but Kirkby Luneside is set in Cumbria, not quite Yorkshire! However, I have to agree.... the Fell does sound more impressive than "the Hill"!!

I hope 'Chard doesn't see this - he HATES "The Fell" locomotive!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

I'm firmly in the "Kindle" camp, my wife bought it for me 12 months ago and it goes everywhere with me now.

I'm working nights tonight so I'm taking a couple of LMS Brake vans to add transfers and lamps to in the wee small hours, I will also get on with the S&C loco list I promised you.

Ian

Signalling Lunester

Thanks Ian. You are clearly sending me the right signals concerning the S&C stuff. I thought receiving it was a Distant prospect, but now I know the info will soon be coming Home....

Really sorry about that, couldn't resist!

Btw, I love my Kindle. But I love my books too!

Many thanks.

Jeff

Thanks, Andy.  Will pass on the message.

I saw a pair of really warm boots just before Christmas thinking they'll do for standing around on the stone slab floor for four days and bought them.  I was supposed to have been buying Christmas christmas_gifts.gif  presents   :laugh:

It snowed last year... chill.gif  and the ride-upons miniature steam trains outside in the yard kept going.  Such dedication.

Dedication? I call it CRAZY!!!

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Jim.

I've not managed any reading for the last 3 hours as I've been teaching Physics - circuit electricity. I'm supposed to be retired - when will I learn to say "no" to requests for help?

Back to the reading now.

Popped into the bunker to refresh my mind about the wiring that needs doing. And to visualise my class 20 shunting up and down the fiddle yard!

Jeff

Hi Jeff and all the Lunesters,

Back from my travel's and decided it was nigh-on impossible to read and catch up on all that has gone before - you busy lot!

I will say I am delighted with the index that you have provided Jeff. It will make things much easier for us all, many thanks. I can refer to the Cobalt section with ease now.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 2

Hi Jeff

Just been checking out the index, excellent and highly useful idea. Perhaps yourself, Polly and Andy Y should get together and consider a main index for RMweb to help us poor mortals. :) Also surprised and honoured to find myself in there, for which, many thanks!

I am with you and the others on books (and CD's). I am planning to add a Kindle at some point (providing my microphones stop self-destructing and absorbing my funds!). There is nothing quite like the feel of a book in your hands or the sight of all that distilled knowledge sitting on your bookshelves just waiting for you to step in.

And modelling of course. I'm currently roofing a small factory using paper slates and am now complete with one of Jason's blisters!

Probably explains why I tend to stay up so late. It's the only time I actually get any work done!

To the hills (fells? big rocky things covered in grass?) Lunester's!

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Bill.

Glad you like the Index. I could hardly NOT put your archetypal Lunesters badge in there, as a reference point. I even considered putting Andy's (uax6) nude in the van, but had to draw a line somewhere!

One thing I love about books.... When you've had the study door closed for a day or so and you walk in - the smell of paper and print. Yep, I know I'm a bit odd, but you'd already sussed that!

Indeed, to the hills/fells. Hopefully soon!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've just been sent a collection of marvellous S&C photos taken by Dave (unravelled). In amongst them I found this ABSOLUTE GEM!! Blea Moor North portal - as I modelled before Christmas. But in a very pristine state!

Compare Dave's photo with the one I've shown previously:

post-13778-0-54215500-1358109804_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-33203500-1358109903_thumb.jpg

Thanks Dave!

Jeff

• Like 4

Hi Jeff & Mike

Well I've finished the S&C loco list, the plan was to do it over a couple of nights this week, but, when I got in to work this evening I discovered that we have engineering work and single line working on tomorrow and all this coming week which means I'm going to be rather busy with present day trains rather than steam ones so I decided to crack on with the list and get it done. It runs to nearly 800 entries although where the locos were regulars over the S&C then they appear in the list several times in different books, However, there are still 449 different locos of which 13 are diesels and what started this whole thing off 10 WD 2-8-0's

If you PM me your email addresses then I will send you a copy when i arise from my slumbers tomorrow(sorry can't send them from work)

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff & Mike

Well I've finished the S&C loco list, the plan was to do it over a couple of nights this week, but, when I got in to work this evening I discovered that we have engineering work and single line working on tomorrow and all this coming week which means I'm going to be rather busy with present day trains rather than steam ones so I decided to crack on with the list and get it done. It runs to nearly 800 entries although where the locos were regulars over the S&C then they appear in the list several times in different books, However, there are still 449 different locos of which 13 are diesels and what started this whole thing off 10 WD 2-8-0's

If you PM me your email addresses then I will send you a copy when i arise from my slumbers tomorrow(sorry can't send them from work)

Ian

Wow! That sounds like another excellent resource! Thanks again Ian.

Will PM you my addy right away!

Jeff

I've just been sent a collection of marvellous S&C photos taken by Dave (unravelled). In amongst them I found this ABSOLUTE GEM!! Blea Moor North portal - as I modelled before Christmas. But in a very pristine state!

Compare Dave's photo with the one I've shown previously:

attachicon.gifsca005-001.jpg

attachicon.gif7646615246_9f0ffe7d92_h.jpg

Thanks Dave!

Jeff

That is a brilliant photo Jeff! 

It makes very clear a point Richard Johnson discussed with me before Xmas - that the vegetation circa 1930-50 is very different to what we see in 2013. 

I'd never imagined that vista of Blea Moor without the pine forest above the portal - it's how I've always seen it. But there it is in black and white: sparse, and treeless.

Also note the FB rail.... 

Do you have any date for that image?

Plenty of food for though there, I'd say!

Scott

• RMweb Premium

That is a brilliant photo Jeff! 

It makes very clear a point Richard Johnson discussed with me before Xmas - that the vegetation circa 1930-50 is very different to what we see in 2013. 

I'd never imagined that vista of Blea Moor without the pine forest above the portal - it's how I've always seen it. But there it is in black and white: sparse, and treeless.

Also note the FB rail.... 

Do you have any date for that image?

Plenty of food for though there, I'd say!

Scott

I'll ask Dave (unravelled) when he took it and get back to you. Btw, the Stockton engine thread photo posted on your thread was marvellous.

Funny how black and white photos often have a clarity and impact better than the colour version!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff,

A light dusting of snow in the dales this morning and a misty Teesside. I off to Northallerton this morning and Swansea tomorrow. The cheapest way I could get by train was to buy 6 single tickets, crazy or what? But at least the business is paying. You were up late last night. It seems a while since we had any pics, so how about getting the camera out and letting us have a few views, even if it is just to refesh our memories.

Jonathan (country yokel Lunester)

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jonathan.

Yes, I was up very late. I think I got to bed around 3.30, and back up at 7. It's reading that book that's doing it - only a hundred-ish pages to go.

I stay signed-in on the off chance someone makes a post in the middle of the night, which sometimes happens.

I ordered the track bus wire at 2am, so that should be here by Thursday. Then I'll get something done.

In the meantime it's a day to finish the book off and watch the snow showers melt away. Have a good journey!

Jeff

ps. I'll go into the bunker later and take a couple of "general views".... especially for you!

Hi Jeff, just caught up on the last 24 hours, I had loads planned for yesterday on T but a call from my 88 year old Mother after lunch put paid to any more modelling  and I ended up spending the night there to keep an eye on her. Shes fine now, a quick magic potion from the Doctor seemed to work wonders.

Just had a read of yesterdays pages and a really good catch up, great pics of that Tunnel Mouth and I am sure you cant wait to see that 20 shuning about, mine is Sound fitted (SWD) and a chap at one show said that it was spot on as he had been driving them almost all his life and now drives them for DRS.

Fairly heavy snow down here in Sunless Derbyshire, so now the shopping is done, coffee and Belgium Bun devoured, it will be into the Den to finish the layout legs in readiness for the trip to Stockport on Thursday for a few days with George T to fit the Buildings, providing we don't have to much more SNOW, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgh

All the best mate,

Old Lune.