Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

I only have one Crab and it seems to run ok - couldn't say if it had finer flanges, looks similar to my other locos.

I started doing it the practical way but now seem to have sorted out a method that works!! Just hit a snag with a curved turnout that throws perfectly one way but sticks part way across in the other direction. I've cleaned it, filed it, prodded it - it's driving me mad (and I've spent an hour on it so far). If I can't sort it out I'll replace the damn thing! Other than that, all seems ok.

What were you saying about 8Fs??!! Lol.

Jeff

Far be it from me to teach Grandma... but is it the turnout? Is the hole the actuating wire goes through big enough? Have you tried another turnout motor?

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Premium

Far be it from me to teach Grandma... but is it the turnout? Is the hole the actuating wire goes through big enough? Have you tried another turnout motor?

It's definitely the turnout, Jonathan. On a small number of them there is a "catch" between the tie bar and the bottom of the rail, as the tie bar slides through. A couple have an extra long blade which rubs up against the edge of the next sleeper beyond the tie bar. What's so annoying is that I sorted these problems out before fitting the points and motors in position. The problem earlier meant the switch blade was just less than a mm from the stock rail - open enough to cause derailments. I've sorted it - I hope.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've just come in from the bunker for a break. Four pairs of turnouts wired-in, up and running - well, at least the point blades switch together and the blades give a full throw. A bit of redundancy on the control panel now, as I'm only using 4 switches for 8 points, but at least it reduces the wiring. I designed in "space" (ha,ha,ha) under the boards for this kind of thing, but I think I'm training to be a contortionist!!

Anyway, some progress made...

Btw, I changed the subtitle of the thread a few days ago, in relation to the fiddle yard. Since then I haven't even thought about it!

Jeff

• Like 1

Thanks to both Bill and Gordon. Must admit, the loco looks excellent in its weathered state. Not bad slow running, either! It's this kind of thing that tempts me to end my embargo on buying locos!

Jeff

Just borrow money Jeff. That's what governments do. The banks do. Some individuals seem to have this curious idea that money has to be earned before it is spent. Outrageous old fashioned thinking...

As to my list of locos, it isn't easy to write down a list as my hands do not hold a pen very well, so a general idea will have to do... so from memory the contents would be;

Hornby

Southern

N15 10 various incl SR BR (3 weathered)

T9 2 SR 2 BR (1 weathered)

WC 2 unrebuilt BR 3 rebuilt (2 weathered)

BoB 2 rebuilt BR

MN 3 rebuilt

Western

Castle 1 GWR 3 BR

23/38xx 3 GWR 1 BR

Midland

Scot/Patriot 6 rebuilt (3 weathered)

Princess 1 BR green 1 BR maroon

Duchess 1 BR green

Black 5 1 LMS

Eastern

A4 1 LNER 4 BR

A3 1 LNER 4 BR

B1 1 LNER 2 BR

L1 3 BR (1 weathered)

Standards

Britannias 4

4MT 75000 2 weathered

Bachmann

Standard 5MT 2 (1 weathered)

Standard 75000 3 (2 weathered)

ROD 2 weathered

A1., A2., (2) S&D 7F weathered., G2a weathered., 3MT 2-6-2.,

carriages required to make authentic trains behind all of the above.

many wagons mostly weathered,.

probably several I've forgotten. I sold about 80 last year by online auction when running two houses in the aftermath of the ChCh earthquake, many were more-or-less irreplaceable, like weathered Black 5s and end-of-steam sets of 44871/44781 but NO DIESELS except a Dapol LMS 1001.

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice pics Andy. I'm guessing the "Andy Pandy weathering" was using your powder method as you probably had these before you got your airbrush?

I hope Trebudoc isn't going to take you away from your OO layouts. I may need to chat with you about my future shunting layout in a couple of years. Having said that, having seen what you've done in O gauge in 9', what's to say I won't buy an O gauge model or two? It would make a nice change!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much Rob. It's always interesting to see what other folk have in their collections.

With regard to buying locos, I acquired nearly 50 between 2008-2011, then decided to put the brakes on. It was becoming a bit of an addiction! What I've spent on Kirkby Luneside, so far, could have doubled the collection, but I thought I'd provide a place to run what I had, then get some more. So if you watch the thread as it develops you'll probably - into 2013 - see a few "new arrivals". I see you're not into diesels. I've a Dapol-Kernow Warship on order and I think I'll succumb and get a Western and some 22s in the end. Then KL can pretend to be somewhere in the Western hinterland!

Regarding your steamers, glad to see you have A1 and A2s. Along with 9Fs and Brits, the Peppercorns are my favourites. I think the large 8 wheel "chunky" tender has a lot to do with it!! Shocking as it may seem, I've no GWR or Southern locos at all. Northern bias I think!!

No doubt we'll have plenty more conversations along these lines!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Yes Jeff I just went and gazed at my collection and saw that I also have unrebuilt Bachmann Patriots 1 LMS Crimson 1 BR green (superb!) , a GW 30XX in weathered early BR, and in Hornby 3 sets... Irish Mail rebuilt Scot and three new-type Staniers, Flying Scotsman A4 in LNER blue and three new type Gresleys, and a Stanier BR Duchess + 3 Mk1s... also an SR Schools, a compound Derby 4-4-0 in BR black, and a Clan class Standard...!

I enjoy buying and sometimes selling, but mostly I can photograph almost any 1930-on steam era express of my choosing, within limits, and that is my great pleasure.

I look forward to progress on Kirkby Luneside no matter how fast or slow, so long as it is enjoyable.

edit p.s. I admired Peppercorn's A1 but the A2 not quite so much, it never seemed to find its place in railway operating needs, would have been good for very heavy freight at speed perhaps (V2s did that better) but like the Bulleids used a lot of coal and made a lot of steam, not always used very efficiently on lighter trains. In many ways I admired Thomspon, for different reasons, not least the appalling state of railways and workshops in the 1940s and the need to keep things going... it was a world too easily forgotten when rail was almost the only transport...

Rob

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

Morning everyone.

Today's schedule is very simple. Wire up the rest of the turnouts! I've connected 12 to the control panel now, so about the same number to do. A lot of redundant switches on the control panel, but they look pretty!

Just hope I don't have any more "sticky" tie bars!

If I can get this done, I can start the fiddle yard. Guess what the first job there is? Um, fit 6 turnouts, Cobalts - and wire them to the panel. Lol.

The job isn't conducive to photos. I doubt anyone wants to see a jungle of multicoloured wires under the boards!!

Jeff

The job isn't conducive to photos. I doubt anyone wants to see a jungle of multicoloured wires under the boards!!

Only if they form interesting or unusual patterns... Or look like an 8F. Sounds like you are making good progress under there, won't be long before you'll be 'testing' the electrics...

With all this discussion of kettles, why am I, a confirmed modern image man, looking at the 'Steam Loco' pages of Hattons? I must resist, I must!

Edited to add - Other model shops are available...

Edited by MichaelW

• RMweb Premium

Must say I'd very much like to see work in progress photos of the fiddle yard wiring etc. It's something seldom seen but to me of interest and something we all appear to attempt in different ways.

Bill

Morning Bill.

I'll take some under-board photos to try and show what I'm doing. The problem is that while the point motor wiring is neat and tidy, at present there are dozens of track bus and point blade/frog droppers hanging down, waiting their turn to be connected to something (not for a few weeks).

I'll see what I can do. If you enjoy photos of spaghetti, you'll like these!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Michael. I love steamers, but my collection is roughly 50:50 with diesels. Green diesels for me - I do love my 8s/20s/25s/37s and Peaks (one 40 in there somewhere). So don't worry - KL won't be dominated by an incessant stream of kettles!

Not sure there are many 8Fs available at the moment...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

OK Bill, here are a few spaghetti-like photos, as requested.

The first shows 3 of the Cobalts. I've used blue and yellow wire to supply power to inputs 1 and 8 at their base. This contrasts with red, black and green used for track bus/blade and frog polarity wires...

post-13778-0-94052700-1352982775_thumb.jpg

I've used "curtain eye" metal hooks to provide a conduit for the point-power wiring...

post-13778-0-09038900-1352982851_thumb.jpg

This wire is then connected to a large section of terminal block that is fixed under the board...

post-13778-0-72024400-1352982923_thumb.jpg

The blue and yellow wires to the right of the picture are wired into the control panel, again using terminal block. The panel will be fixed below the board: the wires you see here are to allow testing of each installed point.

All groups of wires are labelled, but it doesn't stop the jungle of wires being a bit messy. It will get tidied when the track bus goes in!! Honest...

post-13778-0-97742900-1352983108_thumb.jpg

I hope you found this of interest. Not the kind of thing I'd normally photograph. Though I guess it could be construed as "modern art" ... maybe I'll win a Turner prize!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 4

Nice pics Andy. I'm guessing the "Andy Pandy weathering" was using your powder method as you probably had these before you got your airbrush?

I hope Trebudoc isn't going to take you away from your OO layouts. I may need to chat with you about my future shunting layout in a couple of years. Having said that, having seen what you've done in O gauge in 9', what's to say I won't buy an O gauge model or two? It would make a nice change!

Cheers,

Jeff

Re Weathering well actually it is a mixture of ALL, both of these are air brushed and then finnished off with powder and water color pencils. I find that just using one medium leaves a loco very flat and not natural.

As for Trebudoc taking over my life, well, the situation is that I have no room to start my next OO layout. I want to get Trebudoc back to Exhibition Standards and then I can store it up the club, and then if we are close to selling the house I will wait for the house move to complete to see what room I have for the OO project, be it a garage or shed or whatever, as I want a continious run and a BIG fiddle yard (as in Peterborough layout). If I have not sold soon I will start my next Exhibition Project Fiddlers Yard which again will be about 8ft x 2ft.

As for shunting well I do enjoy shunting wagons about, but my OO stock has grown so much, I now have about 100 plus wagons now so long fixed rakes on a roundy roundy would be better. And as for locos, DON'T GET ME STARTED :no: I have been collecting 1 Duchess, 2 Patriots, 2 Std 4, 2 Std 5, 2 9F, 8F,4F,3F, Black 5, Jubilee, K3, B1, A1, A2, A3, A4, V2, Crab, Fairburn, 3MT,plus my green diesels with sound, but I still want more, so you see OO is not dead.

HOWEVER, :scratchhead: I have just reserved a couple of the new Dapol O Gauge wagons, they really are fantastic, and at about £35 great value, I am waiting for the Milk Tankers to come out soon as no Cornish / North Devon layout is complete without them.

All the best Andy, Must go someone is coming to view the house in a couple of hours so we have to have a final tidy up. :boast:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update: Presently, 17 turnouts working "like a dream" off the control panel. I've had the needle files and sandpaper on the tie-bars of 2 of them and they now offer no resistance - hopefully they have permanently surrendered!

I'll do a couple more turnouts later. Interestingly, of the 17 done so far, 14 of them have been wired-up as pairs. It may be trivial, but it's lovely to see 2 sets of synchronised switch blades at a crossover at the flick of a switch.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Jeff, Thanks for pics of the wiring. I guess that most of us have had a similar experience with our own layouts with lots of wiring dangling down all over the place. Where did you get that massive terminal block from? Interesting that we use similar colours for the same jobs except I use white for my crossings. I find cable ties very useful. With DC there're lots more wires going to various sections and I would need lots of curtain hooks. I just staple gun a tie to the underside of the board, collect the wires together and fasten the tie.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, Thanks for pics of the wiring. I guess that most of us have had a similar experience with our own layouts with lots of wiring dangling down all over the place. Where did you get that massive terminal block from? Interesting that we use similar colours for the same jobs except I use white for my crossings. I find cable ties very useful. With DC there're lots more wires going to various sections and I would need lots of curtain hooks. I just staple gun a tie to the underside of the board, collect the wires together and fasten the tie.

Evening Jonathan.

I resisted showing pics under the board as the droppers hanging down - with nowhere to go at the mo! - make it look so messy! The "massive" terminal block is actually several fixed end to end onto plywood. I use block from Rapid Electronics - it's not the cheapest, but a lot better than the standard translucent polythene block I've used previously.

Just about to go out and do a bit more wiring. Quite a pleasant task aside from all the head-banging as I move around under the boards!

Btw, the turnouts certainly benefit from a bit of tie-bar attention. They are well made, but a small number of them do have a tendency to stick when part way across. I found sandpaper was a very effective solution, so fingers crossed!

I'm going to start on the fiddle yard tomorrow as it's now been almost a week since any new track went down - and I need my fix! Once the yard is in place I can gauge the position of the (rather large!) hillside I'm going to create. So many things to do - what an amazing hobby!

Best wishes,

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Weird isn't it - going back many years I used yellow for the common return on all my H&M point motors. Not so cleverly I used red for section feeds (some people will remember them, some of us still have such things of course) but also used it for all the signal wiring, most of the relay interlocking, and the NX panel used to work some of the points and signals.

• RMweb Premium

It's relatively quiet on here at the moment. If anyone has a relevant topic to stir people up, post it!

Regarding wiring. I suppose it doesn't matter what you use as long as you have a consistent system. Mike - at least yellow is less likely to cause problems due to colour blindness. I've used red and green for "positive" (it's really AC DCC of course) and frog. Fortunately I'm not colour blind, but I imagine it can cause problems. Interestingly, Jonathan, I've never used white wiring at any stage of my professional or modelling career!

I've had a few thoughts about tidying up some of the droppers, prior to fitting the bus wires. However, that would get in the way of starting the fiddle yard section, so I think a bit of tracklaying will get first priority. Tbh, I'm sick of the sight of wires!!

Right, and I know you like these kind of stupid questions. Your answer is your opinion only, it's a bit of fun and it won't be held against you. But... which loco and which landscape (man-made or natural) feature do you think most typifies the S&C? Answers on a postcard....Lol.

Ok, I'm busy socializing this morning, so it'll be lunchtime before anything gets started...

Jeff

Yes, it has gone a bit quiet, was wondering if you'd managed to wire yourself to the layout...

Typical S&C? Wild moorland, double track line, stone structures, and a(ny) steam loco working hard! Thinking the Ribblehead - Dent - Garsdale (Head) - Mallerstang section mostly.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it has gone a bit quiet, was wondering if you'd managed to wire yourself to the layout...

Typical S&C? Wild moorland, double track line, stone structures, and a(ny) steam loco working hard! Thinking the Ribblehead - Dent - Garsdale (Head) - Mallerstang section mostly.

I'm with you there Michael, though it needn't be one of the big viaducts one of the smaller bridges would do, with a Midland box in the distance. Loco? It would have to be a black 5.

"at least yellow is less likely to cause problems due to colour blindness."

Definitely with you on that one Jeff, I always choose colours that show a distinct difference as when they are in the gloom of the baseboard underside I can see them, red & green is a no no for me. I have managed to make a few things go up in smoke due to colour identification!

Not an expert on S&C but for me it has to be hills, moorland and viaducts with a steam engine going over it.

• RMweb Gold

S&C - the area around Hawes Junction (now Garsdale), superbly wild scenery, a strong sense of railway history, was once operationally interesting (a long time ago), great vistas. Now the loco is a difficult one - in later years it is almost certainly a Black 5 or an 8F but I'm going to play the curve ball and talk about a superb Argo Transacord offering called 'Trains I The Hills' link here and scan down the page, ZTR 109

http://folkcatalogue.wordpress.com/2010/04/27/tr-mono-ztr-stereo-argo-transacord-lp-series/

On it there is an absolutely superb piece of enginemanship on a Crab, I think near Blea Moor, having a roughish trip with an obviously heavy train and it starts to go towards a slip but is caught just in time by the Driver and kept going - brilliant suff. And thus leaving for me a Crab as a loco to associate with the S&C, although I don't think I ever saw one there.