Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Personally I prefer the lighter colour as you can always darken it where needed. The lighter colour looks great for those areas of stonework that were sheltered from the elements and remained relatively clean.

Either way the whole thing looks superb...

• RMweb Premium

Gordon - have a look later...I'm watching the Vuelta a Espana cycling at the mo, but when I go back into the bunker I'll take a photo of the front fascia, including the bit above the piers - BEFORE it gets the "white treatment". It's a real old mess - but amazingly, so far, it cleans up very well!

I love acrylics!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Personally I prefer the lighter colour as you can always darken it where needed. The lighter colour looks great for those areas of stonework that were sheltered from the elements and remained relatively clean.

Either way the whole thing looks superb...

I agree with Gordon - the lighter colour looks better. What sort of weather have you in mind Jeff? The lighter colour will give a different impression of that from the 'dark & damp' image conjured up by the darker colouring - something perhaps to bear in mind, also the way shadows might work from the room lighting and other scenery?

• RMweb Premium

Hello Mike. I envisage a bright, sunny scene and when I went in to the bunker this morning I must admit the darker colour seemed too depressing! And it's a rural scene, so less likely to have loads of pollution.

I'll go and take a photo of the front, so if you look back shortly you will see the "mess"...then I'll lighten the top in a couple of hours. Great fun!

Btw, good to hear from you again. Have you any projects on the go? Even Larry (Coach) is "at it"...and doing a great job.

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

At risk of boring everyone senseless with the bl***y viaduct, this is where I am now. I've spent more than 6 hours painting the damn thing today... and I'm probably still 2-3 hours from finishing.

The arch rings have been painted in dark grey - this will be toned down with some kind of very very very thin white wash. Umm...plans...we'll see what happens. But that's quite enough for today.

I assume that if you are looking at this thread then you must have some interest in what's going on. Hopefully, some provisional track positioning can start soon...

Jeff

post-13778-0-24043300-1346006435_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-88114900-1346006456_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I prefer the lighter look Jeff - the 'dark satanic mills' colour doesn't look right to me.

(and all I've got on the go is an unfinished Dapol signal, a lot of garden work, and planning the holiday trip we are taking to we're not yet at all sure where but it's on a ship. However all this activity is causing me to take occasional glances at the wall in 'the room' with a view to arranging some gradient tests.)

Hi Jeff

I have been following this from the start and I must say the Viaduct is looking good, you must be relieved it is close to be finished. I have been waiting for the track to be laid and am looking forward to how it progresses from there, It's hard to believe it has taken over 500 posts to reach that point though isn't it?

I hope to get 'stuck in' on my layout next year when I should get a new garage, in the meantime I shall continue following yours, be inspired and dream.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

I have been following this from the start and I must say the Viaduct is looking good, you must be relieved it is close to be finished. I have been waiting for the track to be laid and am looking forward to how it progresses from there, It's hard to believe it has taken over 500 posts to reach that point though isn't it?

I hope to get 'stuck in' on my layout next year when I should get a new garage, in the meantime I shall continue following yours, be inspired and dream.

Jim

Evening Jim. I was in a similar position about a year ago. I'd spent 8 years building a layout in a spare bedroom. It was ok, but poorly designed and lacked operational interest. Since I only used the garage as a "rubbish" store, the decision was made. It took me from August 2011 to June this year before I could start thinking "railway". Having said that, I thoroughly enjoy all types of building work and it was good fun converting the garage.

The main subframe took a fraction of the time I expected. The trackplan was well-established then the guys on here - quite rightly - suggested that curved viaducts would be a better option. That was 8 weeks ago. I've really enjoyed building the 2 viaducts, but I'll be glad when I can play with a bit of track - even if it's only to judge the positions. If you've read through the thread you'll have noticed that my carefully laid plans using Peco code 75 went out of the window when I opted for SMP/Marcway stuff. So although the CAD plans are still ok in outline, precise positioning will have to be done on a "try it and see" basis.

Anyway, the great thing is that there's no point hurrying and messing things up. And it IS a lot of fun - as I'm sure you are aware. If it's taken 500+ posts to get here, how many more before I start doing my favourite bit - building the scenery!!? Lol.

Thanks for your interest, Jim.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

If I'd done that I'd be immensely proud. Brings Lowgill viaduct to mind.

As a former resident of Ravenstonedale and with a grandfather who used to work at Sedbergh station, I'm really enjoying following along.

Keep up the good work.

Hi Jeff,

Had a look at your viaduct, quite a bit different than the last time I saw it.

Love the paint job you've done on it, although not quite sure what the true colour is, will have to pop round again and see it in the garage, with the colour balance corrected.

See you tomorrow

Howard

• RMweb Premium

If I'd done that I'd be immensely proud. Brings Lowgill viaduct to mind.

As a former resident of Ravenstonedale and with a grandfather who used to work at Sedbergh station, I'm really enjoying following along.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks very much! Glad you are enjoying things. Ravenstonedale - I pass by there (lovely hill!) a dozen times a year...but then you probably know that, since it's Kirkby Stephen that's inspired this project.

I am very proud of the viaduct. didn't think I'd manage it - and enjoyed myself. Now to finish the Branch - easier, as it's smaller - ten hours of painting on the Main!

Hope you continue to follow progress!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Had a look at your viaduct, quite a bit different than the last time I saw it.

Love the paint job you've done on it, although not quite sure what the true colour is, will have to pop round again and see it in the garage, with the colour balance corrected.

See you tomorrow

Howard

Now then "Aitch" - you've signed up I see. Aitch - can't be from Howard... that's too obvious! I reckon you are a secret fan of Planck's constant ("h"). Could it be Andy's influence? :jester:

Glad you like the structure. Hope Shildon's half-decent tomorrow!

Jeff

Hey, how come I've missed this thread until now, I've been building a very similar viaduct for my railway, in a very similar way. Do we have the same book? Midland style stone viaduct., plywood base and top, Slaters stone for the cladding. With your permission Jeff I'll post a picture when I get around to taking some. This viaduct is for an exhibition layout and the 'well' type baseboard was built a few weeks ago and the frame for the viaduct since, this is removable for the moment so the detailing can be done comfortably on the workbench, just like you... Great minds think alike.

All the best,

Dave Franks.

• RMweb Premium

It's a small world Dave! There are nearly 17000 members of RMweb of whom 10000+ have never written a post. Makes you wonder how many people on here are doing exactly the same thing, in their own way, without anyone else knowing!

Have to say (apologies if you've read the whole thread and already know this) that the "book" I used was a collection of photos, obtained via Google, of Ribblehead Viaduct. Measured up and scaled. Of course, some wise guys on here (I thank them really!!) suggested that curved viaducts would be better (and, of course, they were right)...

It would be interesting to see your project Dave. If anything in this thread is useful, then I'm pleased.

Best wishes,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, Just got back from Kendal and Garsdalehead viaduct definately looked dark and satanic in all this rain! A smashing job.

Beautiful area, whatever the weather! I guess you went the scenic route via Hawes and Sedbergh? Brings back memories of a journey in July 2001 when the A66 was closed and I went along that road for the first time...seemed to take forever to get to the M6!! (And it was the middle of the night, so no scenery to alleviate the twists and turns).

Just the Branch viaduct to finish now. Not too bad in comparison.

Jeff

Very nice work, Jeff! Congratulations on getting this done so quickly, and so such a high standard.

(I do like the hours you work/post on this, BTW - it seems that quite often you post a few hours before my day starts (here in Perth) and again as my day ends, so I get to see plenty of progress!)

Keep the story coming - it's a great read.

Regards

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Scott. I'm actually a bit late this morning as I was working in the bunker until 1am, making a few "tweeks" to the Main viaduct. Very sad - best to leave well alone and get on with the next task. Hope I'm not becoming too much of an obsessive!

Off to visit a Railway museum this morning, so keystones, copings etc for the Branch will be done this evening.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Beautiful area, whatever the weather! I guess you went the scenic route via Hawes and Sedbergh? Brings back memories of a journey in July 2001 when the A66 was closed and I went along that road for the first time...seemed to take forever to get to the M6!! (And it was the middle of the night, so no scenery to alleviate the twists and turns).

Just the Branch viaduct to finish now. Not too bad in comparison.

Jeff

Jeff, I was more referring to the colour of the wet stonework. There seemed to be some scaffolding around the signal box, looks like there're doing some renovation work, or just painting it? Which museum are you going to? Shildon? They do fantastic large baked potatoes.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I was more referring to the colour of the wet stonework. There seemed to be some scaffolding around the signal box, looks like there're doing some renovation work, or just painting it? Which museum are you going to? Shildon? They do fantastic large baked potatoes.

Yes, popping up to Shildon. Enjoyed the York NRM last week, so I thought I'd see what's in this one.

Baked potatoes, eh? Tempting...

Jeff

Looks excellent Jeff, the colours look spot on.

Never doubt your own abilities, just because you haven't tried it before doesn't mean you can't do it (except walking on water or flying by flapping your arms!)...

looking forward to seeing it later in the week when we talk trackwork!

Al