Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Will you be keeping the choc-blocks as part of the feed arrangement? They seem like a good idea to kep as it will allow extras to be added with little pain...

Andy

Andy,

Each of the bus wires (red/black) is a single piece of conductor. You can split it up and join sections using terminal blocks, but the less breaks in the main bus the less chance of signal corruption.

All droppers, from track and frog-polarity inputs (in the Cobalts) are wired to blocks then soldered onto the main bus (page 86, post #2149 for wiring diagram). Keeps it fairly neat and tidy!

James,

Yes, I've never had any inductive problems. however, there's always a first time!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

I think you got the wrong end of the stick there... I meant are you going to soldier a lead from the busbar, is the other end of it go into the choc-block shown in the piccy?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

It really doesn't matter if you change your mind. People just have to respect that. If you want a good example of this, look no further than Larry (Coachmann)'s "Greenfield". In the space of about a month, Larry must have changed his mind AND laid and ripped track up about half-a-dozen times.

However, not everyone wants a thread.... I wasn't sure before I committed to it. Now I just need to be committed!!

We all respect your work and judgement. So by all means keep discussing your potential S&C layout on here.

Jeff

Changing your mind.

Great West Road - that is, a GWR shed - began as an idea for a corner of a room on a roundy roundy.  We bought some Brilliant Baseboards but, sadly, the owner/seller passed away.  He was a nice guy.  We met him at exhibition and he delighted in telling and showing us the merits of his boards.   Not knowing that the boards would have a new owner, using them on a roundy roundy was abandoned as we didn't have enough to go round the room.  Instead, they became the foundation of GWR and Ray's Camel Quay (new thread on this will appear soon).

Great West Road was originally going to be based on Salisbury (GWR not the Southern one as one of my favourite layouts  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/2-layout-fisherton-sarum/).  Salisbury was half the size of Southall - said one of my books - so it didn't take long to rethink and change the layout plan.

All I seem to be doing, now, is changing things - on paper or on PC.  Hopefully, this will stop me having to make changes on the layout itself.  What keeps my interest is the prototype.  It's a case of 'I've started....so I'll carry on...'  The more I find out, the better it gets...can't have this but must have  that...Wonderful. 

Changing Era.  Yup done that, too.  From GWR only to GWR +BR late+Preservation and maybe BR early(?) - just need a good excuse - a loco or two with a good story behind it.  Open to offers...of a good story, that is.  :jester:

Hopefully, GWR will be my lifelong layout but since we have Avago and now Camel Quay there maybe some changes down the line - but hands off GWR....AHAHAH.   :nono:

Changes and posting on RMweb

Let's see what you're up to.  We can both learn from and enjoy your layouts however many you do - and you never know, someone may give you just the tip to keep your layout in existence without ripping it up and starting again... 

[edit - if you'd like to have a thread on here, that is.  Not wishing to pressurise.] 

Wishing -your-layouts-well Lune   :tender:

Edited by southern42
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning Polly.

Yes, some of the Lunesters are TRULY Loony - well, myself and Andy P. The rest can admit it for themselves!

Bunker heaters on - not as cold outside today and very pretty with all the snow. hopefully I can get something useful done today.

Please thank Ray for his input re. stone-walling. I didn't immediately recognise "tender" as your other half, but AVAGO rang a bell!

Jeff

Evening Jeff,

Ray duly thanked - he read it himself.

Dear old Avago...

Just watching 4.50 from Paddington on TV - the  reconstruction of the murder scene - a good one for modelling?  Will need the screeching of the two locos grinding to an emergency stop  :laugh:

Polly

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

I think you got the wrong end of the stick there... I meant are you going to soldier a lead from the busbar, is the other end of it go into the choc-block shown in the piccy?

Andy G

Sorry, I misunderstood. Indeed I am Andy. I may do one tomorrow - problem is, as soon as I've done that, all I then need to do is plug in the command station and I can run trains - well, over the bit of track connected to those droppers! Problem because I could then play get distracted avoid doing more important things!!

No, I will connect something tomorrow or Monday, even if I only power up one length of track.

I've just fitted 10 metres of the red bus. That's it for today.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I can't imagine it will take a man of your callibre long, to get the whole bus fitted and tested tomorrow!

BTW what is your proposed testing regime?

Andy G

(edited to make it make sense!)

Edited by uax6

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I can't imagine it will take a man of your callibre to get the whole bus fitted and tested long tomorrow!

BTW what is your proposed testing regime?

Andy G

I'm only going to connect the bus to the fiddle yard at the moment. I want that sorted so I can get on with building the hillside around and above it.

My procedure is very tedious and methodical - but essential.

Starting with the track (turnouts are a later issue): Connect one group of droppers - each is identified, so I know which section of track it belongs to. Thoroughly clean the relevant track. Put on my trusty class 09 shunter-test vehicle. Check it runs on every powered section. Move on through all the track droppers, section by section. I'll also do the 2p "coin trick" on each powered section to check that short circuits cut the power off.

When all the "normal" track is connected, move onto the turnouts. Similar procedure, but with the added complication of testing that the frog polarity is set properly. The turnouts are going to take a while as I haven't thoroughly sorted out the switch blades when simply connecting to the control panel.

So there you have it. Simple in principle....

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Jeff, please STOP THIS DAMED THREAD, three days away and it has taken me almost 2 hours to catch up on the last 7 pages. haahheeeee

Re post 3208, nowt wrong wiv playin trains boy, after all why else do we lay track, spend hours under baseboards wiring and even more time working to earn money to buy the DAMED trains to run on the D**** track that we have spent houus laying and wiring, PHEWWWWWW, glad I got that of my chest.

Stockport, well no cakes for THREE WHOLE DAYS, We had a BIG cooked breakfast each day in the local cafe apart from today when George cooked it. A nice Indian meal on Thursday night and Kentuck on Friday.

I also have OOLDS, having run O Gauge for 3 days.

Great read, good luck with the walling, I am looking forwad to seeing which method you finally come up with.

Old Lune.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, please STOP THIS DAMED THREAD, three days away and it has taken me almost 2 hours to catch up on the last 7 pages. haahheeeee

Re post 3208, nowt wrong wiv playin trains boy, after all why else do we lay track, spend hours under baseboards wiring and even more time working to earn money to buy the DAMED trains to run on the D**** track that we have spent houus laying and wiring, PHEWWWWWW, glad I got that of my chest.

Stockport, well no cakes for THREE WHOLE DAYS, We had a BIG cooked breakfast each day in the local cafe apart from today when George cooked it. A nice Indian meal on Thursday night and Kentuck on Friday.

I also have OOLDS, having run O Gauge for 3 days.

Great read, good luck with the walling, I am looking forwad to seeing which method you finally come up with.

Old Lune.  

Hello Old Lune.

Great post. Nice to have a bit of perspective. We sometimes get so bogged down in the detail that we forget why we're doing it.... yes, to run all those bl**dy locos and rolling stock that we spend a fortune on. Couldn't agree more!

Video on T was very good. Look forward to the next. Enjoy your cake....

Lord Lune.

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

So I take it that you are looking forward to getting the Jocko running then?! I have to say that just seeing something run, and making the right noises over all the joints makes it all worth it... Jeff did you notch your track at 60 scale feet intervals?

Andy G

(Jealous... Any ideas for a very small layout to put my coaches on? Maybe some sort of diarama (sp?)?)

• RMweb Premium

Interesting term for the shunter - I always call them Gronks, so "Jocko" is new to me.

Looking forward to seeing something move - just to show the layout is alive!! Didn't notch the track - it was too nice looking to take the cutting disc to!

How small is small for your layout? Have a look at AndyP's Glen Roy or his old layout (sold now), Loch Leven. Or you could always model a typical S&C/Midland station building with platform and one running line in the foreground to sit your stock on.....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I think a Jocko sounds a more friendly than gronk, mind you gronk is the noise they do make!

As for space for a layout, I might be able to get away with a shelf, say about 6 foot long. Or two 4 foots joined with a bridge (maybe that viaduct I mentioned decades ago!)

Would be nice to be able to have stuff moving, but I don't want anything less than peco long radius for bends. In my first box there was once a proposal for a railway along the block shelf! Sadly this place has too much stuff on it!

Killicrankie viaduct did cross my mind earlier mind. It's got a tunnel mouth at the northern end (I think!) and then immeadiately onto a curving stone viaduct, all hidden in trees. If the senic section was say two feet long, so you get the tunnel mouth and about three spans of viaduct.  All single track. Then I could have some very basic fiddle boards to allow full length trains to run across the scene.

Would it fit into two box files standing on their long spines? Would be useful if they were able to be packed up quickly and easily, so that I could work on them in the box.

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

It's uncommonly quiet on here!!

No work in the bunker so far due to other commitments and very shortly I'm off to help someone with some Physics.... However, the heaters are on in the bunker, so I'm hoping to get some more drilling and wire fitting done later.

Maybe when I look again someone might have posted something!

Jeff

Jeff

Hi Jeff

It's uncommonly quiet on RMweb as a whole, I've had no topic notifications for anything I follow since I got into work this morning for any of the ones I follow, so I'm getting on with the WTT for you and mike, about halfway through at the moment with another 5 hrs of my shift to finish, but traffic is starting to get busier now.

Ian

Starting with the track (turnouts are a later issue): Connect one group of droppers - each is identified, so I know which section of track it belongs to. Thoroughly clean the relevant track. Put on my trusty class 09 shunter-test vehicle. Check it runs on every powered section. Move on through all the track droppers, section by section. I'll also do the 2p "coin trick" on each powered section to check that short circuits cut the power off.

Jeff

Jeff

Is it normal to use something small i.e. a class 08 or 09 shunter to test your track with? I was told by someone (in a model shop) to use an engine with as many wheels as possible. What is the reasoning behind your choice?

Well I don't know about anyone else but I have been in the 'modelling doldrums' as things just seemed to not go right at all, I've been sticking bits on and then tearing them off as they are either not straight, I missed a bit or even the wrong size. Taking a break now for research and daydreaming about what I will do when it all comes right again.

Have fun in the bunker later.

Billyb -  I always use a smaller loco so that I know anything larger than that with more wheels to pick up on will work.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Surely it's better to test with a short wheelbase loco as if you use one with a lot of pickups, then it is less likely to pick up dead spots, especially around point frogs, etc. For instance, a Hornby Black Five has pickups on all driving wheels and the tender wheels so even on a long turnout, it's pretty likely that at least one set of wheels are going to be on a live section even if the frog is dead and as such, the test has proved nothing. Not sure why your shop told you that Billy, possibly to get you to buy a larger and more expensive loco :D 

Surely it's better to test with a short wheelbase loco as if you use one with a lot of pickups, then it is less likely to pick up dead spots, especially around point frogs, etc. For instance, a Hornby Black Five has pickups on all driving wheels and the tender wheels so even on a long turnout, it's pretty likely that at least one set of wheels are going to be on a live section even if the frog is dead and as such, the test has proved nothing. Not sure why your shop told you that Billy, possibly to get you to buy a larger and more expensive loco :D

Strangely enough, he was running a Hornby Black Five on his showroom layout, I didn't buy anything at all never mind the black 5, just went home, joined this forum, started working my way through a few topics such as this one run by an advanced loon & started asking questions and this is what I get considered answers, thanks

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

Is it normal to use something small i.e. a class 08 or 09 shunter to test your track with? I was told by someone (in a model shop) to use an engine with as many wheels as possible. What is the reasoning behind your choice?

Hi Billy,

Sorry for the delay in replying - I've been tied-up with some pre-exam Physics help. Jason has answered your question better than I would have. Always nice to run a class 5, but the small-wheelbase shunter is more likely to "die" if there are problem spots anywhere.

Just getting changed then it's out to drill through some more wood - to hold the bus wires in place. I'll probably get out there and find the drill needed recharging!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I don't know about anyone else but I have been in the 'modelling doldrums' as things just seemed to not go right at all, I've been sticking bits on and then tearing them off as they are either not straight, I missed a bit or even the wrong size. Taking a break now for research and daydreaming about what I will do when it all comes right again.

Have fun in the bunker later.

Billyb -  I always use a smaller loco so that I know anything larger than that with more wheels to pick up on will work.

Jim

Cheer up Jim. It'll come right in the end!

Must admit I'm a lot more cheerful about getting on with the job than I was a week ago. There were a couple of days when I opened the bunker door, went in, felt the low temperature and thought "to hell with it". The last 2 days have restored my sanity and desire to move forward.

Just think - if you make ANY progress in the depths of winter, you're sure to make a lot more when the weather improves, it gets warmer and the days lighten out. Well, that's my philosophy anyway!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Two hours into a trainless shift and I have almost completed cutting out droplights for a comet LMS sleeper. Having a brew to rest the eyes for a bit. Not what I intended doing today, but with these superglued to the etched sides, it will allow the car to be made at home quite quickly. I'm not sure what I'm going to do next, as I'm not really in the mood for it.

I may make up a batch of gangway ends for the existing stock, but I'm not sure!

Andy G

I used to be indecisive, but now I just don't know!

• RMweb Premium

Well have now got the windows all glued in, having avoided supergluing myself to the sides!

Snow coming down nicely now!

How's it going now Jeff?

Andy g

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Andy.

I've come in from the bunker - got my 2 hours done for the day. The track bus wire is fitted all the way round the layout - I'll try and get a pic or two when I go out there tomorrow morning. I knew something would run out of juice - and it was the camera, which is now on charge.

You lot will just have to bear with me over the next 3-4 days. It's a busy week, exam-wise, and my "expertise" is in demand. Unfortunately, it takes up bunker time, so I'll fit in what I can. 

Jeff

• Like 1

Ah, but Jeff, you are warping  educating young minds that want to learn...which, possibly, may be more important to the world than how much gets done on KL this week :)

I've been doing a bit with Long Marton- I had the revised signalbox program running last night, it still has some curiosities, but the DMU seems to work.  (next, to add goods trains...)

James

• RMweb Premium

Cheers James. Nice to know my efforts at corrupting the nation's Physics knowledge are so well-appreciated!

I did have a glance at Long Marton yesterday - at your various track experiments. What does your wife think of it all? Clearly the kids are keen!

Jeff