Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Andy - I'm not the right person to ask.... To me, any half-decent weathering looks good as I'm a scaredy-baby and have never done any on rolling stock.

What you've done looks good to me. The "hardened weatherers" (Bill, Jason, Andy) would give it a lot more stick. Some of Andy's locos - almost new - look like they've been on the rails for 50 years!!

Well done Andy.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'm not a hardened weatherer Jeff, I'm only beginning to dip my toe in but with wagons, I always make an effort as soon as humanly possible after buying / building them as they just look so very, very wrong when they are clean and shiny.

They look good to me Andy, possibly pick out the ironwork a bit more as it would weather completely different to the wood, although I suppose it depends on how old the wagons you are depicting are, as to how rusty, etc., the iron would be.

I need to do the same on a few of mine.

Yes Andy, I would agree with Jason, a bit more on the ironwork and poss some moss down in the inner corners depending if has been used lately and what it was carrying, but otherwise I would say it is excellent mate.

Bodgit.

Rob, from what I've seen and from the reports of old train drivers, driving diesels and electrics was a relative pleasure in terms of comfort and facilities. But for all their design drawbacks, the romance of steam lives on.

Maybe it lives on for the people that didn't have to work on them, maintain them, clean them out, breath in their fumes and avoid their asbestos etc.... Very romantic!!!

As for your photos... you have to look at the post number and choose your moment. Which reminds me - you've posted 4-5 pictures since I last updated "your" index!

Jeff

Here below a post I greated in Hornby today...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71062-Hornby-schools-class/

I hope this works...   not really sure about how to link posts.

in any event it's all about the days of steam, and the grubby demise of the Schools class  and the regular unofficial driving by firemen.

Cheers,

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Eugh!  Bury the thing in rocks, please...

(First day off for ages, got some catching-up to do!!!)

Good to hear from you! Rest assured, "The Fell" will never play any part near my fells!

Having said that, a F**l locomototive buried under a rock slide might make an amusing cameo!!

Jeff

Good to hear from you! Rest assured, "The Fell" will never play any part near my fells!

Having said that, a F**l locomototive buried under a rock slide might make an amusing cameo!!

Jeff

Ladies and gentlemen! A Fell buried under a rockslide:

railroad_slide_t640.jpg?a6ea3ebd4438a44b

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice one, Scott! Especially pretty as there's no sign of the hideous mechanical construction! (I know it's only make-believe).

Working on the branch bridge today, so hopefully some progress will be made. More rocks tomorrow - maybe...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I thought I'd post an update on here, almost in order to get the thread moving.... 

Work on the branch bridge is well underway. The usual Jeff technique, building the structure in layers. May get round to sticking the first bits of plastikard onto the fascias by midnight!

You've seen it all before, so no photos are warranted, methinks.

Cutting 3mm ply with a craft knife is significantly harder than for 2mm. So I think I'll be re-stocking with 2mm before any station buildings are designed!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

We still want photos :sungum:  :sungum: :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  

Duncan

Hi Duncan.

I won't post any photos of the construction of the branch bridge as it's a scaled-down version of the main line one.

I will post some pics when it's assembled and starts to look like a bridge. At that point I can take it into the bunker and put it into position - then we can see what the whole thing will look like!

Good to hear from somebody - I thought all the Lunesters had emigrated!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, Looking forward to the bridge pics BUT only when you are ready and happy with it,

Bodgit

I don't mind posting photos on here, but I wouldn't want to bore everyone with, effectively, the same thing as before. I haven't even bothered to take any photos of the branch bridge yet - which is unusual for me! Thank goodness for digital cameras - can you imagine the bill for film and processing!!?

I'm looking forward to first glimpses of your plans for FY....

Jeff

Maybe it lives on for the people that didn't have to work on them, maintain them, clean them out, breath in their fumes and avoid their asbestos etc.... Very romantic!!!

But of course Jeff, it does still attract some of us to work on them.  I think of what Brian Hollingsworth wrote, about the last of the lads going to South Africa to get some time firing on 25NC's and 15F's.  I'm following their footsteps- mind, I think we only have ~5 years left or so with our ship then it will be all done for steam in the RCN except the crane.  (& that'll be a bit over 105 years of it...)

I have been working on getting the 4" Fowler ready for steam, I did a hydro and now only need to roll it out of the container, and clean tubes & firebox, then light the fire and go for a drive...

Dad drove on the road up until we left the UK in 76 for Lloyd Jones Brothers...

(hardbitten steam to the end)

James

• RMweb Gold

Rob, from what I've seen and from the reports of old train drivers, driving diesels and electrics was a relative pleasure in terms of comfort and facilities. But for all their design drawbacks, the romance of steam lives on.

Jeff

I spoke to an old engine driver who used to drive steam engines into Liverpool Street.  He said that there was a lot of nostalgia for steam but all he could say is when he started driving the electric trains he could go to work in his suit.  Have to admit I was just a tad disappointed.

Jeff,

Your bridges and aqueduct.  Looking at previous pictures would the aqueduct wall be a candidate for early building of the dry stone wall variety.  They certainly look similar, although they must have had some sort of lining.

• RMweb Premium

I spoke to an old engine driver who used to drive steam engines into Liverpool Street.  He said that there was a lot of nostalgia for steam but all he could say is when he started driving the electric trains he could go to work in his suit.  Have to admit I was just a tad disappointed.

Jeff,

Your bridges and aqueduct.  Looking at previous pictures would the aqueduct wall be a candidate for early building of the dry stone wall variety.  They certainly look similar, although they must have had some sort of lining.

Chris, the aqueduct walling will be my first venture into the wonderful (ha ha) world of building stone walling. I have to start somewhere and that's as good a place as any!

Jeff

Main Index updated to post 6075.

RobMcG picture Index (see page 226, post 5640) updated to post 6075.

Jeff

I had better add this one then.  A rather nice portrait of men at work on a steam locomotive,  the sun always shone of course in those days.

c1961 62 Reading to Redhill   ...or Waterloo-Basingstoke, 3-cylinder 'Schools' class 30932 'Blundell's' getting into stride on the ex-LSWR main line with 10-on...  into afteroon sun.

post-7929-0-67799900-1367199016.jpg

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That's a good "action shot" Rob - the application of a bit of steam certainly gives the impression of motion.

And just when I'd got your Index up-to-date!! Lol. More, please - even if they are Southern "invaders"!!

Jeff

That's a good "action shot" Rob - the application of a bit of steam certainly gives the impression of motion.

And just when I'd got your Index up-to-date!! Lol. More, please - even if they are Southern "invaders"!!

Jeff

More Southern please Rob

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff.

Yes. More photos, please.  Some of us have rather short memories - that's my excuse, anyway.  :jester:

More Southern please Rob

Duncan

Definitely.  

Positively-speaking Lune

Yes, the  Southern in me is still going strong.   :pardon:  :secret:  :yes: