Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Well I've been called some things in my life, but I can say with some certainty that I've never been called Bob!

Mind you the (female) partner of a (male) friend of mine was introduced to me as 'Dave', and it has stuck. She's really a Bill, or as her Birth Cert say's Kimberly......

Andy Bob G

• RMweb Premium

Oh, just thought, I'm a deprived child (no middle name) so maybe I should sign off as ABG?

ABG

I'll join the deprived club - I've no middle name, either. I don't think it's been too much of a burden!!

Btw, I looked into my crystal ball a few minutes ago.... "I see tomorrow clearly....a packet of DAS and a silly man spending hours with some clay and a plastic jig....." Hee hee. The sooner I get some more strips made, the sooner I can start building some walls.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I predict that you will be sat in your armchair for another 10 years trying to get through your 200th das pack, just to finish off that last wall...........

Andy g

• RMweb Premium

Did you find it a swine to clean off Jeff? I don't know how many pan scourers I have knackered whilst trying to get DAS off my hands, butter knives, etc.

I have a middle name: Jason

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jason.

I've just done another batch of DAS strips: 5 of each thickness - so that's 32 strips in total now (an hours work) with thousands to come!

I've found it ok to remove. No problems for the plastikard jig - most of the DAS sits on top of the carrier bag plastic. As for my hands - well, they stink of DAS (quite a pleasant smell) but warm Fairy Liquid works a treat!

I guess you aren't Jason Jason.... in which case, what's your first name?  :O

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Jeff, I'm glad the technique is working for you. Eventually I will need some dry stone walls but the limestone ones of Derbyshire are very different from the nicely even layered stone of S&C country. Any ideas anybody?

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I'm glad the technique is working for you. Eventually I will need some dry stone walls but the limestone ones of Derbyshire are very different from the nicely even layered stone of S&C country. Any ideas anybody?

The "fun" will start tomorrow when I have to cut the strips up and start "building" the walls.

If the rocks used in Derbyshire walls are varied in shape and size, why not look at the bags of large size "talus" sold by Woodland Scenics. Available in grey and brown.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'm actually Lee Jason. I'm the first born of my siblings so Dad chose my first name. Mum didn't like Lee as a name so gave me my middle name of Jason and always called me by it. She won :D

It throws me when anyone calls me Lee; I really don't like it.  

• RMweb Premium

How about cat litter for Limestone walls? Dirt cheap and I'm guessing a 10 litre bag would do all your walls.... Could be tideous though!

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

How about cat litter for Limestone walls? Dirt cheap and I'm guessing a 10 litre bag would do all your walls.... Could be tideous though!

Andy G

Tell me about it!!

Another 10 strips made. When I have 15 of each thickness (total = 60) I'll start to break the strips up and start my attempt at walling....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just think, at least you are only building the field walls like this, there's one bloke on here casting his own bricks, so that everything on his garden layout is made from them, laid correctly. Now that must be really tideous!

Are the bridges just waiting for these walls then Jeff?

Andy g

Hi Jeff, re the walls (not ice cream) will you be doing both sides of the paralell ones or just the fronts? I am thinking that if you took photos from over the top you would then see the unfinished back sides, (without clothes on if you see what I mean).

Sorry if this will cause you more work than you first anticipated, hahahahaheeeee but it needs thinking about.

Bodgit the trouble maker, :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :sungum:

While you lot have been discussing dry stone walls the Kingmoorkid has been out today amongst the dry stone walls watching the trains.  In this case a BR Maroon Jubilee 45699 on it's loaded test run.  Now I know it's not an authentic livery but it looks OK to me, and for some reason better than the LMS equivalent. 

It's not the best picture I've ever taken but a Jubilee at speed is always worth a look at.

post-17870-0-41994700-1368546958.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, re the walls (not ice cream) will you be doing both sides of the paralell ones or just the fronts? I am thinking that if you took photos from over the top you would then see the unfinished back sides, (without clothes on if you see what I mean).

Sorry if this will cause you more work than you first anticipated, hahahahaheeeee but it needs thinking about.

Bodgit the trouble maker, :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :sungum:

Andy, I'll be building the aqueduct walls using this as a reference...

post-13778-0-68058500-1368547806.jpg

(apologies if this infringes a copyright)

I will paint poth sides of each wall section, if that's what you mean.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just think, at least you are only building the field walls like this, there's one bloke on here casting his own bricks, so that everything on his garden layout is made from them, laid correctly. Now that must be really tideous!

Are the bridges just waiting for these walls then Jeff?

Andy g

The bridges are complete, but I need to make wing walls for the main line version. I also need to paint them.

However, since I know where they'll be positioned, I'm going to start my attempts at the walls of the aqueduct. I'll build these on a separate bit of plastikard sheet, with the correct positions marked on.... so the whole lot can then just sit onto the bridge road-deck. Details will become clear as the project develops.

Jeff

Hi Simon, good shot and as Jeff says, always good to see a JUBE in action.

Bodgit

Bodgit

It even looks OK standing still - after being a rusty basket case not that long ago it is a great credit to the restoration team, I'm sure there will be gnashing of teeth from few purists but I guess it will be in green at some point in the future.  Lets hope they add one of those yellow diagonal stripes..... 

post-17870-0-81597000-1368548265_thumb.jpg

KK

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Simon, I'm a big fan of steamers and diesels in the green era. However, some maroon engines just look the part - Duchess of Montrose, some of the Westerns, for example. That Jubilee you photographed today looks magic in maroon and it'd be a shame to change it.

Jeff

Bodgit

It even looks OK standing still - after being a rusty basket case not that long ago it is a great credit to the restoration team, I'm sure there will be gnashing of teeth from few purists but I guess it will be in green at some point in the future.  Lets hope they add one of those yellow diagonal stripes..... 

attachicon.gif058.JPG

KK

I have bought two new weathered Jubilees now....    but no LMS version, so far.   This is a serious attack on my mostly failed attempt to lead a balanced life.... and budget.     Have yesterday done a nice pic of a Patriot,   and have a double chimney Peppercorn A2 which should arrive here soon... it was posted 8 days ago,  perhaps I should concentrate on observing rocks as Jeff does?

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

I have bought two new weathered Jubilees now....    but no LMS version, so far.   This is a serious attack on my mostly failed attempt to lead a balanced life.... and budget.     Have yesterday done a nice pic of a Patriot,   and have a double chimney Peppercorn A2 which should arrive here soon... it was posted 8 days ago,  perhaps I should concentrate on observing rocks as Jeff does?

Rob, I can honestly tell you that observing rocks isn't out of choice! I shall certainly be needing some therapy after a few weeks of "rocking".... So I've added a DCC sound Black 5 to my list of "on order". That should take away that "granite feeling"!!

Jeff

Simon, I'm a big fan of steamers and diesels in the green era. However, some maroon engines just look the part - Duchess of Montrose, some of the Westerns, for example. That Jubilee you photographed today looks magic in maroon and it'd be a shame to change it.

Jeff

Hi Jeff and Simon, I agree and the 8F on the Great Central looked really good, I posted some pics of it some time ago so I wont bore you all again.

Bodgit

Andy, I'll be building the aqueduct walls using this as a reference...

attachicon.gifbug48.jpg

(apologies if this infringes a copyright)

I will paint poth sides of each wall section, if that's what you mean.

Jeff

Jeff, I was thinking of rocks/stones showing both sides.

Bolder the Bogpit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I was thinking of rocks/stones showing both sides.

Bolder the Bogpit :sungum:

The stones are 8mm wide, so 2' to scale. Various lengths and 4 thicknesses. Stacked and glued on top of each other you'll get a view of the arrangement from both sides as there is nothing in the way of the rock pieces to impede the view. Sorry if that sounds confusing!!

Jeff