Fiddle yard(s) Open or enclosed?

Dukedog

Some of you are aware of my new Layout project "Steam on the Cambrian" featured in the layouts section and my blogs.

This will be an end to end layout and requires a fiddle yard at each end. I am going to use a "turntable" each end with at least 3 tracks on each turntable.

Anyway, what I want your input on is this....

Should the fiddle yard(s) be totally screened off from public view, or is it "OK" to have the yards open to public gaze?

I have seen both types at exhibitions and to be fair don't mind either way, But, it's the public perception I am thinking about here.

Your opinions and comments for or against either type are welcome to help me make up my mind.

Thanks for reading and thanks again if your are kind enough to give your time and thoughts below.

Cheers

Frank

Open, but screened from the scenic area.

As a visitor, I'm always interested in the stock, and if the only time I can see it is out in the scenic area, that isn't too long. Also it's good to be able to say "I want to see that train running".

Another vote for open with a scenic block. I don't like the FY spoiling the view from within the layout but once my senses have returned to reality I want to go poking my nose around the static exhibits in the yards. Besides I am always interested as to how it is done on other layouts.

But then you are asking modellers here. The general public might have a different view. They may take exception to the coffee mug and have eaten club sandwich you hoped would be your lunch.

• RMweb Premium

Definitely incorporate some sort of screen if possible - I'm more than happy for people to look at what's in the fiddle yards but not so pleased when I encounter those who feel the need to adopt a more hands-on approach.

One layout at Railex this year had a high screen to keep poking fingers out, but then had a series of perspex windows with shelves. Stock was kept on trays with a single line (like a cassette), and then as each cassette was removed it was placed onto one of the shelves. This crude pic shows what I mean, with the grey bits being perspex.

post-7489-0-20473500-1347780177.jpg

So the viewers could peer through the perspex with the stock sitting directly behind it. Excellent solution - waist or chest height viewing, you can get within a couple of inches of what you want to see, and from the operator's perspective no chance of the stock being poked about.

Requires a bit of construction admittedly, and if single line cassettes aren't being used it's a bit of a non-starter. To answer the question more directly: hidden from the scenic section but visible to the viewer - I do like to have a good peer at the stock I may have otherwise had to wait 45 minutes to see.

• RMweb Gold

I would personally go for open plan fiddle yard viewing Frank. I find it quite interesting to see what else is going on with a layout. A few years ago at Scaleforum Mark Tatlow allowed Brian and myself to go behind the scenes so I could photograph his fiddle yard on Portchullin and it gave me a much clearer idea as to how I could operate my own layout of a similar size.

I also quite like seeing how a layout has been constructed and often a fiddle yard is built in a similar manner to the rest of the layout. I do understand that some unwanted guests might want to 'fiddle' and perhaps putting up a small 6-9 inch clear perspex screen would give the best of both, being able to see, but also some protection to the stock.

Regards,

Nick

Yes, 99% certain that's the one Mike, I just had a look through the Railex 2012 thread on here and while there's no pic of the fiddleyard it does indeed look like the layout concerned.

A general Google search found numerous references to the layout but no pic of the fiddleyard unfortunately.

• RMweb Gold

The public like to see our fiddle yard as they can then ask for a particular train

The modellers don't like our fiddle yard as it scares them to death - and when we invite guests to operate we have to tell them to "ignore what's going on around you and just drive when you get the signals"

Open but separate from the main scenic section for me.

Our fiddleyard will be open but im afraid for BNS to stand a hope of working everything will have to run in a specific sequence so we wont be able to do requests.

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Go back to basics and ask "What is the function of a fiddle yard?"

Is it a private area off-scene where the operator may marshall (and fiddle) with trains by what ever method they choose - often the Hand of God shunt - and which is not intended to be seen by the general public?

Or does it serve as a display area for rolling stock not currently running on the layout itself?

The answer to that question - and acknowledging that for many who exhibit their layouts the answer will fall somewhere on a sliding scale between the two - may determine the answer to the original question.

Personal preference open - and from the people I know they all think the same.

In over 30 years of exhibiting (with 6/7 road sector plates) we have found that most visitors appreciate open fiddle yards. We never had anything stolen or damaged (by the public) during that time.

I always remember a Major Northern Show some years ago we were next to a layout which had the fiddle yards (up to lighting level) surrounded (back and front)with black curtains. We put a sign on the end near to us saying 'Palms Read Here' the public liked it and the layout operators didn't see it for a day and a half.

• RMweb Gold

We get as much interest in the fiddle yard on Banbury / Santa Barbara as the scenic area. That's both modellers and others. Some people will only wait seconds to see another train once the one they were viewing has gone off scene but if they can see another starting to move in the fiddle yard they will wait a bit longer.

Also when the layout is situated at the end of an aisle we will often have quite a few people stand at the end to have a look at the fiddle yard plus have a chat with us.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

At the risk of adding nothing to the general consensus from the previous 20-odd posts, I'd go for a visible fiddle yard. I think it's fascinating to watch FY operation on different layouts since everyone has their own take on the way it should work. As said by many, it's also interesting to see the range of stock and train formations - and how it's changed in "real time" by the operators.

I'd also agree that, if security is a problem, the simple inclusion of a perspex screen should suffice.

Each module of your layout looks like it's going to be a cracker, so I'm sure people would want to see what you are upto in your FY!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Whilst our fiddle yard is visible, it does have a 10 inch back scene and towards each end a front ply panel which protects the stock etc. However it is fairly easy to see into the fiddle yard by adults and at the end of an aisle by younger viewers.

We also don't mind them having a look round the back if they ask politely or we invite them to do so.

• RMweb Gold

With an open fiddleyard you need to have an operator stood there to keep an eye on stock which is not easy if you only have one operator a time on a plank type layout. I like to operate from the front and be amongst the viewers but you cannot run the trains connect up three links and talk to people and keep an eye on everything especially if the scenic break hides your view of the fy. So you have to consider security. Mind you when letting kids operate the layout they will do their own policing. A small girl turned on a teenage lad about to poke at something with a withering stare and a sharp comment "Don't touch that while I'm operating!" priceless!

dON

Archived