Hornby's 2013 Announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Coming back to the Majestic train set the price of £399.99 is not too bad if you set aside £1 per day until Christmas 2014. I take your point about a four year old child not being too fussy about trains from different eras running together but it will be difficult for him or her to develop the set later on. My first train set was a Hornby-Dublo EDG 17 Tank goods train set that I had for my 5th birthday. I was able to identify it as an N2 from my Ian Allan abc book. The locomotive had full lining and separate hand rails. Most of the goods wagons were faithful reproductions of the prototype and the open wagon and brake van were BR ER models like the engine. I accept that the Royal Daylight tank wagon was a bit brighter than it should be. It cost about £5. 7s 6p which was a King's ransom then but it was good value for money because I have still got it and have been running it for 57 years. I wonder how many Majestic train sets will still be running in 57 years time.

Again reverting to the point about Southern Region coach liveries in my memory the livery was very consistent and this is confirmed by the numerous railway slide shows I have seen and the pictures in railway books. I live next to the Swanage Railway and the green does not seem to wear as well as it used to. Perhaps they put something in the paint in the past that is not compatable with modern health and safety regulations.

I agree that BS(S) coach green tended to be pretty uniform and Hornby's BR green Maunsells look about right to me.

Paint on stock that had spent many years near the sea went a bit odd. That might explain what's happening at Swanage.

I have a number of Bachmann Mk 1s and Bulleids in the earlier (lighter) shade that they used and which I fully accept is too light. However, I can live with it whereas I can't handle the dark green used recently which (to me) looks far too "intense" on a 4mm scale model. It may not be far out, because my weathered TMC horsebox looks OK despite the base coat (I presume) being the same shade.

In my experience, models of dark coloured vehicles often look more "right" if the paint it is a shade lighter than the real thing.

Anyone - just anyone - buying a trainset, this Xmas or at any other time, is doing us all a favour by putting money into the industry and maybe getting a youngster on the hook. We can't have enough of either.

I bought my now 4-years old nephew a Hornby Thomas Goods & Passenger Goods set last Xmas, with a couple of extra track packs. He absolutely loves it. Since then more track has been added, with the final track pack (D) to complete the layout to be given to him this coming Tuesday. He also got D7101 Hymek Diesel ("Bear) for his birthday this year and I've also got him a Percy locomotive for this Xmas. I'm also donating a second R8250 controller (was mine but now have a Gaugemaster Model D) so we can run two trains in different directions around the layout.

Every time I go to see him, getting the train set out and set up is a must. And that's him insisting on it, not me!

OK, so had an ulterior motive when I bought him the Thomas Hymek model - it's in my favourite livery of BR Blue! :sungum:

So I for one will be "playing trains" most of Xmas Day, albeit with Thomas & Friends on a Hornby Midimat. Sure it will be fun though!

Train sets are not just for young people in my view. I'd hedge a bet that there are many adults out there, although perhaps not huge numbers on this forum, that returned to the hobby in some shape or form via a Hornby trainset. My return to the hobby (aside from when I purchased a Bachmann 4-CEP, originally to go on a display shelf) was actually a Hornby VSOE DCC train set.

As it happens, my return to slot-car racing was prompted by receiving a relatively basic £50 set for Xmas a few years ago from a very generous boss. I now have a massive Scalextric Digital layout in the garage on a purpose built baseboard. Perhaps without receiving the set to re-ignite my interest I wouldn't have the Scalextric setup I now have.

I personally think train sets are very important, for a number of reasons not just to get the youngsters hooked. Hornby knows this and it's good to seem them continue to bring out a good selection of them (no matter what 'serious' modellers might think of them).

Sounds like just the right occasion for dealing with the bottle of 20 year old Speyside malt which crossed my threshold (in gift packaging) very recently.

I'm on flight EK420 to Birmingham as we speak. Can you pick me up later? I have my own glass!!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

In my experience, models of dark coloured vehicles often look more "right" if the paint it is a shade lighter than the real thing.

If only more people got this!!!

By your user name, an ex-signaller?

I think he means that there is quite a big gap under the door.

But I can't see one down the middle of the doors where the opening will need to occur...? As a 'sample' I am assuming there are a few things to fettle yet.

Could it be just a separately-fitted door moulding rather than an opening one (would that make sense from a tooling point of view given that the door is recessed?), and it's just a bit out of line on that pre-production model? As you say, there doesn't seem to be an opening down the middle to allow for a pair of working sliding doors

If you are paying £399.99 for a train set you want a bit of realism. Even a four year old child would be aware that a 1950s passenger train is not compatable with a modern goods train.

Really? My 4-year old nephew, who is nuts about trains, most certainly wouldn't.

Really? My 4-year old nephew, who is nuts about trains, most certainly wouldn't.

Hear, Hear!

For a 4 year old, the 1950s version would probably be preferable, less fine detail to break off and be lost forever when they grasp the model to pick it up.

I do feel very sorry for Hornby. If they add more details and try to make those details more realistic that puts up the price. So they get criticised for the price of their models, just wait for the usual chorus of complaints about the prices in the full 2013 catalogue. If they then try to make very minor compromises on the realism of the details in an affort to contain the prices, then then get criticised for not making the models detailed enough.

No wonder they're looking to segment the market into the lower price and lower detail Railroad range, and the higher price and higher detail Hornby proper range.

How long has Graham_muz been the official voice of Hornby ?? Should this not come from SK ?? about the Bulleid.

If Muz says something's the case I'm confident he actually knows for whatever reason. Official info may follow later.

• RMweb Gold

While of course I am not, nor ever claimed to be, the official voice of Hornby, I do not make a habit of posting unsubstantiated information. 

The change of R3160XS Rebuilt West Country Class No.34046 “Braunton” to 34108 "Wincanton" is confirmed following a conversation with SK at Hornby due to the fact that for the intended BR Brunswick Late Crest livery 34046 should have been paired to a rebodied 5250 gallon tender not currently tooled by Hornby.

• RMweb Premium

While of course I am not, nor ever claimed to be, the official voice of Hornby, I do not make a habit of posting unstubstantiated information. 

The change of R3160XS Rebuilt West Country Class No.34046 “Braunton” to 34108 "Wincanton" is confirmed following a conversation with SK at Hornby due to the fact that for the intended BR Brunswick Late Crest livery 34046 should have been paired to a rebodied 5250 gallon tender not currently tooled by Hornby.

Not CURRENTLY tooled, hey....

The VDA...? Too narrow, funny underframe, and an even funnier Xpelair on the roof. Bachmann do a better one, consigning this to trainset fodder.

Didn't Hornby have a much shorter sort of modern van in train sets years ago, with an LNER style of brake rigging? It looks more like that than their VDA?

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Gold

Didn't Hornby have a much shorter sort of modern van in train sets years ago, with an LNER style of brake rigging? It looks more like that than their VDA?

Paul Bartlett

It's this thing: http://www.ehattons.com/25869/Hornby_R6474_Long_Wheel_Base_Box_Van_Sheaf_Materials_Handling_Ltd_/StockDetail.aspx

Am I the only one to notice that those pictures that Andy posted of the 2 new vans in post no.797 look so like Parkside models, or are we not allowed to say that. Even down to the braket for the vac cylinder on the left of the near side sole bar on the fish van has been left on by mistake, I should know as I have just built 4 Parkside models. Such a shame they have gone for the same type as Parkside, but I guess that was the easiest option. 

• RMweb Gold

Coming back to the Majestic train set the price of £399.99 is not too bad if you set aside £1 per day until Christmas 2014. I take your point about a four year old child not being too fussy about trains from different eras running together but it will be difficult for him or her to develop the set later on. My first train set was a Hornby-Dublo EDG 17 Tank goods train set that I had for my 5th birthday. I was able to identify it as an N2 from my Ian Allan abc book. The locomotive had full lining and separate hand rails. Most of the goods wagons were faithful reproductions of the prototype and the open wagon and brake van were BR ER models like the engine. I accept that the Royal Daylight tank wagon was a bit brighter than it should be. It cost about £5. 7s 6p which was a King's ransom then but it was good value for money because I have still got it and have been running it for 57 years. I wonder how many Majestic train sets will still be running in 57 years time.

Thinking back to my childhood, the RTR ranges of Triang and Hornby Dublo were not anywhere near as extensive as they are today, and as a child, unless one was exceptionally gifted, I guess, you would have to make do with an unlikely combination of stable mates if you wanted much variety on your layout.

I was running a Dublo A4 with an R1 to begin with, joined in fairly short order each birthday and Christmas by another loco, usually from the Triang range - I wasn't fussy until the GWR exerted an un-due influence when in my teens... In the meantime, I had lots of fun!

I often think how much fun it would be now to have an 'anything goes' kind of layout again...

If you are paying £399.99 for a train set you want a bit of realism. Even a four year old child would be aware that a 1950s passenger train is not compatable with a modern goods train.

Nor would my nine year old nephews.

If it couples together they will run it. They would soon get bored running a train in the correct combination. Variety is the spice of life.

Guest Belgian

I would suggest it's more of a case of a 1980s freight not being compatable with a modern steam passenger train: 'Tornado' is a 21st century machine and has only recently acquired the blue livery sported in the set!

JE

Ooops! EDIT: I see that Hornby are renumbering/renamimg 'Tornado' to an LNER/BR A! as 'Bon Accord', so my comment is erroneous. Sorry.

For a 4 year old, the 1950s version would probably be preferable, less fine detail to break off and be lost forever when they grasp the model to pick it up.

You're probably right there! Although the original comment was referencing the fact that the Hornby 'Majestic' DCC set mixes a modern day freight train with a 1950s style passenger train.

Here endeth the lesson in sucking of eggs  ;)

I would suggest it's more of a case of a 1980s freight not being compatable with a modern steam passenger train: 'Tornado' is a 21st century machine and has only recently acquired the blue livery sported in the set!

JE

Would a young child or an 'anything goes' adult really care that much? I don't think they would...

It was indeed - but it was pre Blue and Grey actually - my main chariot to work was for a while the venerable steel blue 4 SUB on the Effingham/Dorking to Waterloo. When I moved to Croydon it was mainly Blue/Grey 4 EPB and 2EPB units. By the time I was showing an interest again in railways, the first generation EMUs (BIL/HAL/NOL/COR/PAN/PUL and Sheba SUB) were on their last legs and the only ones I actually saw were in Micheldever yard, and several other storage for scrapping locations.

Wasn't blue and grey becoming pretty commonplace on the SR around 1969-1970? I'm sure a lot of stock was still all-over-blue, but I've seen films and footage from around 1970 with a fair amount of blue/grey stock.

The 4-COR and 4-SUB in BR Blue were in with the suggestions I emailed to Simon Kohler the other day. I'd really like to see someone produce a high-detailed RTR 4-SUB in BR Blue. I never travelled on a 4-SUB, but I used to see them at Clapham Junction and Waterloo on trips into London when I was a kid and thought they were well cool. Think they were withdrawn around 1982-83, was in my early teens then so just about remember them.

• RMweb Gold

The 4-COR and 4-SUB in BR Blue were in with the suggestions I emailed to Simon Kohler the other day. I'd really like to see someone produce a high-detailed RTR 4-SUB in BR Blue.

I will go along with that, but I'd like them in green, with no trace of yellow on the front, and no rolling headcodes. If anyone does a 4COR, they are going to have fun arranging for the front gangway connection to sway from side to side as it speeds down the track.

I never travelled on a 4-SUB, but I used to see them at Clapham Junction and Waterloo on trips into London when I was a kid and thought they were well cool. Think they were withdrawn around 1982-83, was in my early teens then so just about remember them. 

I travelled on them, and I clearly remember the particular smell they had, although where that came from I know not.

..... Although the original comment was referencing the fact that the Hornby 'Majestic' DCC set mixes a modern day freight train with a 1950s style passenger train.

"Modern day freight train" ?????? pardon?

A vintage loco with a 20 year old livery, some old wagons from 30 to 50 years ago and a pre-ww2 PO wagon.

It's quite likely the hypothetical 4 year old's Dad isn't old enough to remember that sort of freight train.

:O  :O

Archived