Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

Thanks Ash, mid to late 80 Im thinking. I half fancy going mid 80s running Railfreight grey Buxton 37s on stone with maybe some passenger diagrams being class 45 hauled but I also feel maybe it would be nice to run those new fangled 60s. Im not sure yet.

Cav

Sorry Cav I messed up and asked what era when it clearly says in the title, I thought I'd got away with it when I edited the post but you got in first!!

Railfreight 37's and 47's sound good to me. I thought you'd be handbuilding the track, if it's anywhere near as good as Outon you'll be onto a winner. Imagine it's a bit fiddlier in n though!

Why not 2mm finescale Cav?

Im actually much more tempted to go 2mm finescale on this than P4 in OO. Its the cost of rewheeling everything that puts me off but it is still very much an option Jim.

No worries Ash. I was quick on the reply. Jon I love the big landscape feel you can get in N.

Cav

I've always thought about building a layout set on the old Derby-Manchester line, a wonderful route which I've cycled through the tunnels & across Monsal Dale Viaduct in the past, but set it in modern times just as you are doing Cav. Looking forward to seeing more of this layout.

Sam (A fellow Chesterfield based modeller!)

Guest jim s-w

Im actually much more tempted to go 2mm finescale on this than P4 in OO. Its the cost of rewheeling everything that puts me off but it is still very much an option Jim.

Cav

Dont the 2mm society offer a re-profiling service or something similar?

Cheers

Jim

Hi Cav,

Sorry to see you had to sell Outon Road it was a great layout, I am glad I got to see it in the flesh at Barrow Hill.

I am looking forwards to seeing this layout progress the plan looks good, nice sweeping curves and the time period is right up my street a nice Peak on a rake of MK1 s will look the part storming through the station.

There are some very nice N gauge and 2mm finescale layouts on RMweb so you will get plenty of feedback, plus the rolling stock these days is so good.

Good luck with this one, cheers Peter. 

Yes Jim they do do a reprofiling service. It is something I will have to weigh up regarding cost really as if I go 2mm I also have to then build all of my fiddle yard track as well. May end up cheaper that way though tbh.

Hi Peter as I said I will be sad to see Outon go but things have to move on. Im very much looking forward to this project and as you say a peak rumbling through none stop on some Mk1s would look good.

Cav

Wow really love the look of this one,

I cant fault modern n gauge and runs perfect on code 55 track,

You have picked one of the best era's too as you cant beat railfrieght grey 37's and peaks.

Look forward to seeing this develop.

nice plan cant wait to see this develop if its like your previous modelling it should be a very nice layout .

just one question how big is it going to be are the grids on the plan 1foot squared then thats some dinning room table your putting it on lol 

Thanks for the positive comments. You are right the squares are 1ft, the layout will be approx 12ft x 4ft. Im not putting it on my dining table but in my dining room. I will simply erect it for working on it and playing trains and then pack it away when Im done.

Cav

I do apologise for some reason I thought you were putting it on the table lol

My layouts up in loft and have been thinking of a smaller layout similar to your last one but set in 70s80s so I can put up in house and store when not in use I saw outon road a few times and it gave me the idea especially when you have the scope to extend later on

The layout sounds a good plan ill be watching with intrest for up dates

Edited by bri.s

On the agricultural traffic, would UKF fertiliser vans still be running in your period? Otherwise, I've seen fertiliser in 1 ton "big bags" in railfreight red OCA wagons.

And since you're talking a certain amount of artistic licence, a B... P...... would look great over the viaducts.

What's the caption opposite the station building top centre on the plan - the resolution's too low to read it, but is it the corrugated iron place?

Edit: what Mickey linked to above while I was typing!

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 1

Hi Cav, nice to see you back in the modelling fold again. Your new project sounds very interesting indeed, lovely location and period too. I am looking forward to seeing Peaks and tractors in action, it is a very nice part of the country that you are modelling.

I do think that you should consider running your chosen 80s period and another period up to 1990 to allow a brand new construction liveried class 60 to be run. You know a Brush Beast on RMC bogie stone hoppers makes sense!

Good luck and I look forward to seeing Millers Dale develop.

Well Alex I am still open a little to time period, a 60 may be doable. Maybe throughout the day have a year clock that ticks on from 1985 to 1990 showing how the traction changes. I would need a fair bit of stock then though. haha.

Ian do not tempt me with the OHLE. I cannot possibly justify electrification of the line from Manchester to Derby in the 80s!!

Cav

On the agricultural traffic, would UKF fertiliser vans still be running in your period? Otherwise, I've seen fertiliser in 1 ton "big bags" in railfreight red OCA wagons.

And since you're talking a certain amount of artistic licence, a B... P...... would look great over the viaducts.

What's the caption opposite the station building top centre on the plan - the resolution's too low to read it, but is it the corrugated iron place?

Edit: what Mickey linked to above while I was typing!

Yes its the Wiggley Tin. I will post a better pic when I boot the computer up. What is a B... P...... am I missing something?

Cav

Shame about the loss of urban squalor...

Struggle to see 4mill OHLE nowadays never mind 2 - just think of the challenge Cav.....

You know best and will be a good un.

Not too far from Buxton then? - pencilled in the Monsal for a MB ride - just a matter of geting round to it -  the viaducts and tunnels look interesting.

On the way back from Chatsworth House last summer we called into the Wye Bridge Inn at Buxton which is an intersection to Millers Dale? - Class 66 ran slowly LE over the viaduct (to Peak Forest?) viewable from the very nice beer garden - got the usual "roll eyes" from the missus.....

All good.

Ian