Great British Locomotives

EddieB

If the Jinty is as good as the K3/6 then mine will be up for swapsies. As will the K3. And whatever turns up on Wednesday by way of overstocked N gauge unwanteds (by the company). I must admit to looking forward to the Castle. Might repaint it to be like the Denbigh Dublo I had as a kid.

Aren't subscribers due the binders about now?

One of Gostude's disciples has this one, but they are usually rather cheaper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-DUBLO-OO-2220-DENBIGH-CASTLE-BR-GREEN-LOCO-Ref-6162-/390879083645?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item5b02357c7d

EDIT Missed the earlier post - this must be the same item.

There are several Bristol Castles which is the same thing in 3 rail. (Obviously the name was chosen for their 'Bristolian' set -Unfortunately 7013 was really Windsor Castle (following a surreptitious name swop in 1952) and differs slightly in design (principally the cylinder block beneath the smoke box - Denbigh Castle was the only one they got right in four attempts).

I can remember seeing my first Dublo Castle in a shop window in late 1957 - in the middle of an admiring throng - I was jealous because my school mate got his before Xmas :beee: . Mine still survives and still works!)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

I'd seen that one, fallen over, got up again, made a cup of tea, had another look and fell over again.

There's a non-runner 3-rail for about £12 that might make a static model.

The Cellulose Acetate Plastic was, I believe, at least partly made from Timber (Wood or Tree) products. At least that is what an early Advert made in the USA prompting timber products, and fronted by Laurel and Hardy (yes, them).

That'll be this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGQASUFP7MQ

Apart from some snippets of home movie, this is the only true-colour film (as opposed to the films colourised in the 1980s) Laurel & Hardy ever made.

I'd seen that one, fallen over, got up again, made a cup of tea, had another look and fell over again.

There's a non-runner 3-rail for about £12 that might make a static model.

This one looks promising - might even have a punt myself.... (Tell me if you're interested and I'll back off - I've already got two of them - can't be greedy!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Dublo-Engine-And-Tender-Bristol-Castle-/321454201131?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4ad829d92b

The last line of the 'guff' reminds me of the old joke, "He who laughs last has thought of the dirty meaning!"

• Like 1

No, you're OK David. I'd repaint and rename it, and that seems wrong if someone else wants to keep it in unrestored condition. Nostalgic, though.

Actually, am I right? Was the Castle about 1962-62 Denbigh in GWR colours? I'm doubting my memory now, after all I gave it away in 1969...

No, you're OK David. I'd repaint and rename it, and that seems wrong if someone else wants to keep it in unrestored condition. Nostalgic, though.

Actually, am I right? Was the Castle about 1962-62 Denbigh in GWR colours? I'm doubting my memory now, after all I gave it away in 1969...

All Dublo Castles were in BR lined green livery with the 'ferret' emblem. The later Wrenn issues came in various liveries including blue(???) and (s)lime green (supposedly apple green experimental livery).

I guess Denbigh Castle must have been another one of my repaint (or at least re-decal) jobs.

My 'Atholl', 'Montrose', Sir Nigel', Bristol Castle' and 8F all suffered that (and conversion to 2 rail) and survived........

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

That'll be this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGQASUFP7MQ

Apart from some snippets of home movie, this is the only true-colour film (as opposed to the films colourised in the 1980s) Laurel & Hardy ever made.

Yes, that is the one!.

OT, there was also a USA "This IS Your Life" type show featuring the duo....

(We have a DVD of Laurel and Hardy in Colour...)

It's ok only two sleeps till we start frothing or nit picking again.

If anyone is looking for something different to do to the jinty there is an interesting photo in this month's railway magazine of one that was used in France during world war two 

• Like 2

I like the way the thread has gone from knock-off engines to dodgy plastics!

It's not completely irrelevant, considering they're made of plastic and mazak, but probably it's time to go back on topic, ready for the Bulleid Pacific on Wednesday.

(Let it not be a Tri-ang copy delusion! Let it not be a Tri-ang copy delusion! Let it not be a Tri-ang copy delusion!..................)

• Like 1

It's not completely irrelevant, considering they're made of plastic and mazak, but probably it's time to go back on topic, ready for the Bulleid Pacific on Wednesday.

(Let it not be a Tri-ang copy delusion! Let it not be a Tri-ang copy delusion! Let it not be a Tri-ang copy delusion!..................)

It is a shame it wasn't an Unre-built Merchant Navy! (But there are no Ready To Run models to copy. (Excluding the OO Gauge Graham Farish example...)...Hornby's one omission in the Bulleid Collection, except the Leader?)

Apart from the length of the body, what other differences are there between the Later batch MNs and the WC/ BoBs?

(A potential minefield here methinks?)

Edited by Sarahagain

It is a shame it wasn't an Unre-built Merchant Navy! (But there is not any models to copy....

There is if you clone the Golden Arrow resin body!

Apart from the length of the body, what other differences are there between the Later batch MNs and the WC/ BoBs?

Driving wheelbase three inches longer, and longer between trailing driving axle and trailing truck IIRC. Wider aspect to front footplate, and marginally taller smoke deflectors.

...and that's just for starters.

AFAIK the main differences are in the boiler size and wheelbase (and details like blinkers and cab.....).

There is the Graham Farish 'Merchant Navy' (ducks for cover :jester: ), though I gather it's a trifle short.

Guest spet0114

I have a Mallard model from the start of this series which I've dismantled to it's component parts before realising that I've got far too many projects for this one ever to get back into one piece again.

If anyone's in the Newbury, Berks area and wants a collection of parts that used to be an A4 (for free) - drop me a PM.

Collection only though.

Cheers

Adrian

This is still available, by the way....

Think we might be able to start trying some of the Brassmasters etches in place tonight. Should be fun.

The GBL body now has traces of Squadron Putty where gaps have been smoothed over, especially where the offside mudhole doors were moved forward. Lop the buffers off next, and add the front of the smokebox saddle.

...Here are some more Jinties...

This nice little review of what was both the reasonably affordable and generally available RTR OO 0-6-0T for most of twenty years, suggests to me that a great many bodies  - and possibly with working mechs too - must still be about s/h. (Not my old bodies from chassis that went under whitemetal kits however, they all got butchered for parts.)

• Like 1

This nice little review of what was both the reasonably affordable and generally available RTR OO 0-6-0T for most of twenty years, suggests to me that a great many bodies  - and possibly with working mechs too - must still be about s/h. (Not my old bodies from chassis that went under whitemetal kits however, they all got butchered for parts.)

How many do you want? :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xtriang+jinty&_nkw=triang+jinty&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I have seen them as cheap as £1 (no motor, but you can't have everything).

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

How many do you want? :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xtriang+jinty&_nkw=triang+jinty&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I have seen them as cheap as £1 (no motor, but you can't have everything).

None whatsoever thanks....

OT again, but I wonder if anyone ever went the whole hog with the Hornby "Jinty" body and actually turned it into something that looked as convincing as Bachmann's?