Great British Locomotives

EddieB

I know for the purposes of our modelling that these aren't the best...but if they produce some creativity, such as the repaint (nice finish by the way) on the previous page and the other conversions here and elsewhere, is it all bad?

The T9s release must be approaching I think - there's some nice conversions of the Hornby versions of these locomotives to Scottish region 4-4-0s on RMweb floating around. I'm sure these could be used for similar conversion to other region locomotives. I wonder how close to one of the Ivatt 4-4-0s these are?

Oh dear....I really need a memory upgrade! It HAS been a while since I have read the Railway Series Books,,, :blush:

I WILL risk another comment though...

Wasn't the Large Scale Airfix kit the Trevethic (? Spelling, Sorry!) 1804 "Pen-y-Darren" Locomotive? (In the same series as a stationary steam engine. Museum Series?)

I have to confess to not having read all the Railway Series.... :O  (They'd got to about number 11 or 12 IIRC)

I did have one of the Trevithick locomotives though. She sat on a plinth with a short section of plateway which hid motor and batteries to make the thing work. I remember the wheels didn't run very squarely. (Whatever happened to it?....)

• Like 1

Bachmann did a 0 gauge model of locomotion. While it would be nice to have its not the most useful thing. A M7 would be useful as it could be converted to a Caledonian railway tank engine. As SACMartin has said the T9 can be converted to a number of Scottish locos.as well.

An M7 would almost certainly be copied from the old  Tri-ang Hornby model from the sixties - not one of their best unfortunately.

'Oh Mr. Porter!' is available on eBay - a cameo from 2509 and a tendency to run on the wrong line! It's set in Northern Ireland, but is clearly shot in England.

There are quite a few older models to copy, but most of these are still available quite cheaply second hand.

(Dare I suggest Triang's Deeley 3F, Maunsell L1 - though these would need sourcing second hand - a B12, D49 etc. - a Pannier tank - preferably not Hornby's 8750 or Gaiety's 2721!)

EDIT

I meant to put YouTube (senior moment!), but I'm sure it's for sale somewhere.

Edited by Il Grifone

......Another locomotive that I had hoped to 'influence' being added to the list was the Great Northern 'Stirling' Single. This I think can be classed as a Great British Locomotive and of course its in the National Collection - something that has a large bearing on the GBL series. I even offered to lend the publishers one of my made up Kitmaster kits to copy. No responce was forthcoming so perhaps no 'Stirling' Single will appear.

There's nothing quite like a bit of traditional string-pulling :jester:

My subscription K3 and LP arrived today.

Oh dear. Oh dearie, dearie me.

The K3 has clearly been in some sort of accident because the footplate is bent and the cab has fallen off. I don't think I could even swap it unless the swappee was going to do surgery on it. Goes to the back of the queue for a rebuild and repaint.

The LP - the tender had come loose in the packaging. Doesn't look damaged, so one up on last time. It's got the angled stickers on the cabsides, so this will definitely be the one that is repainted as Watersmeet. Annoyingly one of the lining tampos has smudged, so that is a job I had hoped to avoid which may need doing. (I was going to mask between the lines and just paint that section and the roof, if I could get away with it.) Some detail painting needed, and I'm still not sure about whacking a Goodall front end on the thing.

Now second in the queue behind an E2 which is getting (I hope) extended tanks...

Oh - and there was another N gauge loco in the bag, an Amtrak 375. Again. Presumably these are just the overstock (ie charisma-free) remnants from that series.

I'd love to see some historic locos, but as WM says, I don't think it's going to happen.

Hi,

Lets hopefully not turn this thread into a boring list of what people would like to see as it will be a totally pointless excercise as i've explained in a previous post.

Whilst I agree that a GWR 57xx type pannier could be classed as a GREAT British Locomotive due to the large number built and their wide sphere of operation I think its got to be said that the Deeley 3F, Maunsell L1, B12 and D49 (plus many other former rtr models) unfortunatly will not have that much appeal to the intended market for the series.

As II Grifone rightly points out there is a real risk that an M7 could be a copy of the old TriangHornby model but even then it should at least offer a starting point for some conversions both to a better (if not perfect) M7 that would satisfy many modellers and of course several Scottish locomotives. The same would apply to a GBL T9 and here the GBL version will be copied from the much more recent Hornby model without doubt - we should'nt have to wait too long all being well to see that this has happened

Another locomotive that I had hoped to 'influence' being added to the list was the Great Northern 'Stirling' Single. This I think can be classed as a Great British Locomotive and of course its in the National Collection - something that has a large bearing on the GBL series. I even offered to lend the publishers one of my made up Kitmaster kits to copy. No responce was forthcoming so perhaps no 'Stirling' Single will appear.

Regards

It wasn't my intention to start a list - just a few examples of what we could possibly expect, since the series is obviously only going to be rehashes of what has gone before, with a bias towards components of the National Collection. CR 123 is another possibility.

Our local Asda still has two examples of the Bulleid Pacific - one is down to me not buying any....

• Like 1

I would of thought that a Pannier tank would be a good seller. I reckon that the vast majority of the general public aged under the age of about forty would be familiar with Duck from the Thomas The Tank Engine And Friends TV series. Much more so than most real locomotives.

My package has also just arrived. No build issues apart from the K3 cab is a bit loose and a slight slope to one of the numbers on the Bulleid's cabside. They both have potential, with the K3 being definitely in line for eventual chassis replacement. And for much cheaper than Bachmann bodies sell on Ebay. But I recently purchased a South Eastern Finecast version so it will be on the back burner for now. Maybe one of them will get a different style of tender.

I also got the same Amtrak diesel. Pity I no longer model N gauge as I'm sure I've got a spare Lifelike chassis somewhere that would fit. Purchased to motorise a Langley Class 24 which eventually got a much better Farish chassis.

Edited to change J39 to K3. I wouldn't dream of suggesting that all LNER locomotives look the same. :jester:

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 4

Edited to change J39 to K3. I wouldn't dream of suggesting that all LNER locomotives look the same. :jester:

This suggestion is usually levelled at the GWR.

I can't imagine why, the locomotives differ even amongst the same class, despite the GWR standardisation policy.

Edited by Il Grifone

The T9s release must be approaching I think - there's some nice conversions of the Hornby versions of these locomotives to Scottish region 4-4-0s on RMweb floating around. I'm sure these could be used for similar conversion to other region locomotives. I wonder how close to one of the Ivatt 4-4-0s these are?

according to the original schedule the T9 is due in November.

July 23rd Fowler 3F

August 6th Castle

August 20th LMS 1000

September 3rd 4MT Tank

September 17th Locomotion (right...)

October 1st Peak

October 15th Butler Henderson

October 29th 45xx

November 12th T9

Edited by Smiffy2

according to the original schedule the T9 is due in November.

July 23rd Fowler 3F

August 6th Castle

August 20th LMS 1000

September 3rd 4MT Tank

September 17th Locomotion (right...)

October 1st Peak

October 15th Butler Henderson

October 29th 45xx

November 12th T9

These coming engines feels more exciting than the previous loco's (I liked them too though)

Regards,

Stefan

Hi,

Most of the sales are not to modellers though - feedback suggests that the original target audience makes up the greater number of sales although there have been definite signs of a fall.

Modellers are more selective and tend to only buy what suits their modelling period or area.

This one isn't. I model French railways so these are purely room ornaments.  I've got City of Truro and picked up a Bulleid Pacific yesterday, will get the Castle and possibly the King and that'll probably be my lot. There was a similar series for world locos a few years ago so I've already got three or four French favourites as well as a rather attractive diamond smokestack Atlantic but again these are purely ornamental. If they did ships about the same total size I'd probably pick up one or two of those.

• Like 1

One of the partworks is doing a series of ships I think - I'll post a link if I can find it - else there are kits by Revell and Airfix (and others) and the resurrected Minic series.

EDIT

http://www.amercom-hobby.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=77

http://www.atlaseditions.co.uk/collection/msc/Warships1.html

The scale is around 1:1200 (like Minic) so a bit smaller than a 00 tender loco.

I have 'Yamato' and 'Titanic' (to become 'Olympic') under construction (and 'Aida' awaiting her turn) from Revell kits, when I need a change from railways.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1