Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

• RMweb Gold

If an individual posted it to the USA would it get stopped? I would be willing to try to post something to Sasquatch (I owe him) and could see what I could fit in. Do they Xray? 

I don't want to end up in gaol tho.......;p

I'm afraid the answer is "that depends". If they do, then they throw your package away. A bit like "do you pay duty on your purchases abroad?". It all depends on who's on that day in customs, whether they are hungover, etc. I've been able to come over the border from the US and not be charged for $400 of purchases, and other times paid tax and duty on $50. Technically, there is no problem with sending acrylics - up to 4 well sealed in a plastic bag - but nobody wants to do it.

I think I'm going to take a loco down to the model shop in Victoria and see if I can match up. The owner seems to be going through some health battles at the moment, so I'll have to keep an eye on his opening days.

I enjoyed the station colours website :) Some good reference material! I'll wait until my GNR loco turns up and try to match that. That said, apparently they weren't that great at matching the greens on the prototype back in the day, and often you'd see distinctly different coloured green locos stood together.

Thanks for the warning Shaun, hopefully the Games Workshop staff will be accommodating.

Sorry, Jaz for this detour, back to you. :)

• Like 1

I'm afraid the answer is "that depends". If they do, then they throw your package away. A bit like "do you pay duty on your purchases abroad?". It all depends on who's on that day in customs, whether they are hungover, etc. I've been able to come over the border from the US and not be charged for $400 of purchases, and other times paid tax and duty on $50. Technically, there is no problem with sending acrylics - up to 4 well sealed in a plastic bag - but nobody wants to do it.

I think I'm going to take a loco down to the model shop in Victoria and see if I can match up. The owner seems to be going through some health battles at the moment, so I'll have to keep an eye on his opening days.

I enjoyed the station colours website :) Some good reference material! I'll wait until my GNR loco turns up and try to match that. That said, apparently they weren't that great at matching the greens on the prototype back in the day, and often you'd see distinctly different coloured green locos stood together.

Thanks for the warning Shaun, hopefully the Games Workshop staff will be accommodating.

Sorry, Jaz for this detour, back to you. :)

I have plenty of rolling stock that will need painting at some time, so looking at the problem now will help me in the future, what comes around goes a round.....so they say  :angel:

IF you have a specific colour in mind, it is possible one of our readers might know of a good match....although LNER green does seem to be the item we need most at the moment. PERHAPS showing some of the A4s next to each other might help?

IF you have a specific colour in mind, it is possible one of our readers might know of a good match....although LNER green does seem to be the item we need most at the moment. PERHAPS showing some of the A4s next to each other might help?

May  Help ?

Specific colour is so difficult, if you 

paint under electric light or natural light

take your reference from a book, a screen all depends on how they are set up

and everyone sees colour slightly different

and  human sees more shades of green than any other colour, it being a survival thing about knowing what is safe to eat!!!!!

I certainly have painted stuff at night and 'in the day light' have thought to myself....how did i think THAT looked good. The thing about colour is its relationship to what is around it. Sometimes photographing an object in a different coloured back ground can make it look better or worse!!!!

So sometimes following a particular path, i.e. a single brand of colours means their inter relationship is better IF the original person who made them had a 'good' eye for colour, and if you own EYES agrees!!!!!

I think if YOU do a good paint job, and the colour is in the right area, you should feel chuffed, and if someone states that they think the colour is off, it is a personal opinion, and opinion can be a moot point, and some people will say good and others disagree. The whole issues of a moot point is that it is not definitive but objective, and unfortunately colour is objective, AND in some cases we don't have enough historical evidence to be 100% .

I still have not found the really good site that compares the different brands of paint....should i stumble over it later I will add it and PM you, or better still pop it on your thread....if i remember by then....... :angel:

Even my recent work can show differences.....

early work on this area under electric light ......no attempt to get shadows in place...as it is still clearly a model

med_gallery_17883_3493_13309.jpg3665

once the pavement was done......I wanted to see how it was going to look so.......the same taken once the light offered some shadows....

IMO light can have a serious effect on believability

med_gallery_17883_3493_241953.jpg3696

Now here I got more shadows, and despite many of the buildings still just sat on, and the snow not yet hiding the fact, the more pronounced shadows help

with the believability aspect IMHO.

med_gallery_17883_3493_338733.jpg3760

some natural shadow...but not taken late on..so no deep shadows.....but more detailing is in place....and again IMO the detail looks better when shadowed,

because your mind fills in some detail...

med_gallery_17883_3493_330918.jpg3795

this view with no shadow by the building looks less believable to me....

med_gallery_17883_3493_303788.jpg3801

here there is not actually much more shadow, BUT the 'snow' hides all the sit on layout disasters, it also helps make the water that has not settled flat 

to look more like slush, each baby step helping to pull it together

med_gallery_17883_3493_177530.jpg3804

here the snow helps pull it together, but the lack of shadows are to my mind missing

med_gallery_17883_3493_140711.jpg3826

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Specific colour is so difficult, if you 

paint under electric light or natural light

take your reference from a book, a screen all depends on how they are set up

and everyone sees colour slightly different

and  human sees more shades of green than any other colour, it being a survival thing about knowing what is safe to eat!!!!!

I certainly have painted stuff at night and 'in the day light' have thought to myself....how did i think THAT looked good. The thing about colour is its relationship to what is around it. Sometimes photographing an object in a different coloured back ground can make it look better or worse!!!!

So sometimes following a particular path, i.e. a single brand of colours means their inter relationship is better IF the original person who made them had a 'good' eye for colour, and if you own EYES agrees!!!!!

I think if YOU do a good paint job, and the colour is in the right area, you should feel chuffed, and if someone states that they think the colour is off, it is a personal opinion, and opinion can be a moot point, and some people will say good and others disagree. The whole issues of a moot point is that it is not definitive but objective, and unfortunately colour is objective, AND in some cases we don't have enough historical evidence to be 100% .

I still have not found the really good site that compares the different brands of paint....should i stumble over it later I will add it and PM you, or better still pop it on your thread....if i remember by then....... :angel:

For a family wedding, I matched up suit jacket with blouse in the same (upmarket-ish) shop.  Brilliant! Easy peasy! I thought.

Got home and it was the biggest UGH! mixture you could imagine.

I went down to our local mass market mainly clothes store and came out with a cheaper and smarter alternative. {Edit.  But the colours of the items of clothing at least went well together.]

Now if you're modelling at home, that's one thing, because you can do paint to suit your own lighting.  Take it away on exhibition venues....?????!!!!....though up til now no-one has complained on the colour score, although, until I built up the gorse a bit more and darkened the yellow flowers, the heather was mistaken for those gigantic rhododendrons!  I was going to lighten the heather but a very kind gentleman walker at one event had just been out in the heather and assured me Camel Quay's was just right.  Nice man!

Of course, when it comes to locomotives, once you start weathering you'll be more worried about the colour of the overlying muck and grime and how much the livery would have faded in the sun or darkened by the oily cloth; and what bits have that newly outshopped repaint look or were noticeably done up in a dark shed in the dead of night.  Don't you just love the prototype.  :laugh:

Having said that I'm right fussy when it comes to getting the colour right.  It's not unknown for a 5-minute job to take several hours.

I'll read your post now, Jaz, as it's just popped up.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree on the lighting Jaz.

What I like is the way the use of shadows can bring out the finest detail or the use of back-lighting can make a scene look more spectacular or dramatic.

Again, this control can get lost at exhibitions simply by the way the venue is lit or from the sun streaming in through the windows and roof lights.  So, as we've not got it completely enclosed with its own integral lighting, it's do the best we can with paint and powders.  For example, as it's a hot summer's day greenery and grasses are deliberately light in colour (as it would be if the sun was out) to counterbalance any low lit venues which would otherwise make it look like a very grey day.

And back to snow.

Yesterday Danemouth #80377 put a link to some newspaper photos for some snow shots with trains up on the North York Moors Railway.  I carried on scrolling down and came across several snowy road scenes looking just like yours.  They must have been working very hard to get it to look like that, don't you think?  :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2888954/Get-gritters-Britain-braces-coldest-night-year-temperatures-set-plummet-10C-sheet-ice-blanket-country.html

And in looking for the link, I noticed you've posted on GWRd so must go and have a look.

:bye:

• RMweb Premium

although LNER green does seem to be the item we need most at the moment.

But which LNER green? Doncaster or Darlington? Darlington green is supposedly lighter than the Doncaster shade.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Oh!!!! I've been to that model shop! Or was that in Nanaimo?

I'm afraid not in Nanaimo, at least not now. It would have been great if it was because I'm just down the road.

May  Help ?

Thanks David, it took three goes before I saw the link... erm. Three types of Brunswick green no less! http://www.e-paint.co.uk/BS381%20Colourchart.asp

Here's E.F. Carter's take on it: the GNR locomotive colour was "green of one shade or another"; "bright, almost grass green"; "green"; "light grass-green"; "slightly yellower green than [a colour previously described as green]" or "bright green".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:GNR_colour

I do love your snow photos Jaz. Reminds me of only a couple of weeks ago over in Fernie. If you're interested, the way they clear the streets of snow is as follows:

1. No vehicle allowed to park on the street between 5am and 8am - they are towed away if they are left there.
  2. A snow plough drives down the street and pushes all of the snow into the middle.
  3. It then comes back again on the other side of the road and pushes that snow into the middle of the street.
  4. A wall sometimes up to 4ft high is created by steps 2 and 3.
  5. The wall is breached on the bigger cross-roads so vehicles can turn left. I saw an 8' high mound at the crossroads near the health centre where it had been pushed to one side.
  6. At some point the council comes in (not necessarily the same day) with a massive snow blower and blows the snow into the backs of trucks which then drive off to the edge of town.

This might happen a couple of times after the same storm. The first pass scrapes up of most of the snow, and then a second pass will get rid of the rest, but the second pass is only done after the rest of town has been cleared. By rest of town, I mean designated roads. Some roads are never cleared - which makes for interesting driving!

If you're brave, there is space for street parking and other vehicles to get past them, but to be honest you pick your spot carefully as it can get narrow in places, and if there's been a melt and freeze, the ground will be treacherous.

Not a lot of snow in this one, but you get the idea :)

post-14192-0-55991000-1419878137.jpg

You now know a lot more about snow removal than you ever wanted to!

Edited by JCL
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

.......................................       :cry:

I think Jaz is about to start building Kings Cross as per now, after the shops were bulldozes. Although, they were at the front, weren't they? On the upside, I read you wouldn't need much rolling stock to be authentic...

• Like 1