Show us your scratchbuilt building

For a moment there I thought how did this picture get here........?

Thanks very much for the kind comments and one day the other half of the layout (the original part) will get posted - when it's updated to match the new half of the layout of course, whenever that is.

So here's me relaxing working out how I'm going to build that old barn I was on about

post-8925-0-51868000-1474717956_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Now for a cautionary note.

The attached picture is of the engine shed at Little Muddle which was the first card and brick paper building I had a go at which I would say was about 5 years ago.

At that time I was using an HP printer but with a compatable continuous ink system which said it was colour fast.

Well it isn't and if you look carefully the chimney stack has faded almost white and the main walls are definitely lighter when a current brick print is held up against it..

The same is happening to a row of shops and pub I built but I appear to have caught that early enough with the varnish to prevent further degradation.

The moral of this tale is only use manufacture ink designed for your printer plus some good quality print paper as well to help stop this happening.

One day I will have to bite the bullet and recover the walls, the rear of the building is fine it's just where it catches the light.

I have treated the walls with many coats of my favorite UV artists matt varnish from Windsor and Newton (see picture) and it seems to arrested the decline plus I keep the blinds closed as well.

Every building now gets numerous coats of this varnish as I don't want it happening again!!!

Hope this helps

Kevin

post-8925-0-11541100-1474718706.jpg

post-8925-0-98961300-1474719362_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Now for a cautionary note.

The attached picture is of the engine shed at Little Muddle which was the first card and brick paper building I had a go at which I would say was about 5 years ago.

At that time I was using an HP printer but with a compatable continuous ink system which said it was colour fast.

Well it isn't and if you look carefully the chimney stack has faded almost white and the main walls are definitely lighter when a current brick print is held up against it..

The same is happening to a row of shops and pub I built but I appear to have caught that early enough with the varnish to prevent further degradation.

The moral of this tale is only use manufacture ink designed for your printer plus some good quality print paper as well to help stop this happening.

One day I will have to bite the bullet and recover the walls, the rear of the building is fine it's just where it catches the light.

I have treated the walls with many coats of my favorite UV artists matt varnish from Windsor and Newton (see picture) and it seems to arrested the decline plus I keep the blinds closed as well.

Every building now gets numerous coats of this varnish as I don't want it happening again!!!

Hope this helps

Kevin

I would find a dark corner to have a tantrum in if I ruined a beautiful looking building like that Kevin and it's well known that sunlight can over time bleach a layout almost white.

Hope you get it sorted.

Allan.

Certainly nothing that should single it out for sniping, either, one might have thought.

Or perhaps bigging it up with reference to it being chosen by divine intervention? I would guess God doesn't make choices like that. But at the end of the day I'd have thought that both comments were intended as nothing more than a bit of fun/banter and not worth trying to pass judgement on.

G

Certainly nothing that should single it out for sniping, either, one might have thought.

Sniping?  Certainly not in my case. Perhaps a touch of jealousy, coming from a GER fan and LNER modeller such as myself.

Are we not permitted to poke a little harmless fun on here from time to time?

For the record, I might perhaps mention that as at the time of nationalisation, my grandfather was Chief Timber Inspector for the GWR and just about every sleeper laid on that line from 1930 to 1947 was almost certainly personally inspected by him, and stamped with his little GWR 'roundel'-embossed hammer.

Indeed, he was terrified every time there was even the slightest hint of a derailment during that period, lest he had inadvertently 'passed' a sleeper which was less than perfect.

Here is the engraved plate on his clock - now in my possession - presented to him upon his eventual retirement from what by then was British Railways in 1954.

- Don

post-14917-0-75119700-1474749565_thumb.jpg

Edited by orford
  • Like 7

Or perhaps bigging it up with reference to it being chosen by divine intervention? I would guess God doesn't make choices like that. But at the end of the day I'd have thought that both comments were intended as nothing more than a bit of fun/banter and not worth trying to pass judgement on.

G

And there you go, proving the point.

I fail to understand why people are still, more than half a century after its demise, so obviously chippy about the GW. Pass it off as banter if you will (you'll be telling me next you didn't mean what you wrote), but no other railway company gets that kind of stick.

All railways  'bigged themselves up'. It's called publicity.

I find all pre-Grouping and Grouping companies more or less fascinating, so perhaps I struggle to understand this tribal nonsense.  I accept that the GW is seemingly unique in its ability to attract derisive detractors, but it was not the only railway that blew it's own trumpet so brashly.  For instance, few companies can have been more 'up themselves' than the self-styled "Premier Line", and I suspect that the demise of those fine North Western traditions on the advent of the Midland-dominated LMS has prevented it from suffering similar opprobrium all these years later, whereas Western Region men were still hacking people off with their "Swindon knows best ..." attitudes well within living memory.

But really, it's faintly ridiculous to be taking hostile partisan stances against a commercial entity wiped out over 70 years ago.  Time to get over it, surely. 

But really, it's faintly ridiculous to be taking hostile partisan stances against a commercial entity wiped out over 70 years ago. Time to get over it, surely.

IMO it's more ridiculous and pointless to become a self appointed vigilante making calls on other people's posts. The forum has moderators for that sort of thing and if you feel someone has overstepped the mark you can report it. There's a button to do that.

No one has taken a 'hostile partisan stance' - that sort of comment is far beyond the level of the posts in question and sound like stirring to pot. Perhaps you need to accept that, as Orford says, people will poke a little harmless fun.

Time to move on.

G.

Edited by grahame

IMO it's more ridiculous and pointless to become a self appointed vigilante making calls on other people's posts. The forum has moderators for that sort of thing and if you feel someone has overstepped the mark you can report it. There's a button to do that.

No one has taken a 'hostile partisan stance' - that sort of comment is far beyond the level of the posts in question and sound like stirring to pot. Perhaps you need to accept that, as Orford says, people will poke a little harmless fun.

Time to move on.

G.

Now you're getting personal.  And typically, having done so, "it's time to move on".

Courtesy is this quite clever idea whereby, if you like something, you can say so, and if you don't, you don't have to say anything.  The happy result being that your prejudices are not aired and your fellow man not offended.

It is the easiest thing in the world to retreat behind the "only joking" excuse.  The fact that GW is a perennial target means that there is rather more to it than that. I frequently joke about the GW - it's engines all looking the same - but so many of the "jokes" carry a sense of actual or apparent animus.

As I say, it's easy to retreat behind the line:

"Only a bit of harmless fun"

"Where's your sense of humour?"

"Some of my best friends model the Great Western ..."

I suggest merely, that for those who cannot let a reference to the Great Western and its undoubted merits pass without an instinctive negative reaction, it is, indeed, time to move on.

Time to move on.

G.

Yawn.

This is what happens when people infect a really excellent thread with unnecessary and off-topic negative comments (it's about buildings not "what railway company I despise most"), which had not been a problem before, and now you round on the guy who points this out.

We had a nice thing going with everyone saying constructive, supportive and appreciative things about each other's architectural modelling.  We should get right back to that NOW!

F-- it, I'm a GE/LNER fan myself, like Orford, but that doesn't make me a GW-detractor.  Perfectly happy with my choices and content to leave others to enjoy theirs. Axes to grind should be left at the door of this topic so far as I am concerned. :nono:

:offtopic:

• Like 2

I would find a dark corner to have a tantrum in if I ruined a beautiful looking building like that Kevin and it's well known that sunlight can over time bleach a layout almost white.

Hope you get it sorted.

Allan.

A dark corner, with hindsight, would have been the best place for this model, though I must confess I rarely open the blinds to the room but then UV rays can still penetrate though most things and metal venetian blinds obviously offers little in the way of protection.

What to do, well I shall park it for now and then worry what to do with it later.

The only obvious main issue is that the single stack seems to have been effected the most (see picture) with the walls being only lighter when comparing front to back.

As I said earlier about 4 coats of the UV varnish was applied over Christmas and there seems to be little if any noticeable worsening of the colour fade.

I think I might just redo this stack in new brick paper and see what happens to the rest of the building over time.

Never gave it a thought when I built it, I know photographs can and do fade but it wasn't until I noticed some pictures taken of the canal at Lower Heyford fading in the conservatory that I looked further a field at items printed at the same time.

Since then, about 3 years ago, I have stuck faithfully to HP inks and quality paper regardless of the costs.

Kevin

post-8925-0-26242900-1474803270_thumb.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1

Now you're getting personal.  And typically, having done so, "it's time to move on".

And you haven't with jibes like the above, and about being hostile and ridiculous?  It would appear that you didn't read my original thread that you have been over sensitive about. I said I have heard that, I didn't say that I agreed or supported it.

But I'm prepared to move on if you're not. So here is the start of my next scratch-build structure:

153354.jpg

Can anyone tell what it is yet?

G.

Has anyone with a similar problem tried using artist's fixative spray?

I was wondering how to protect a 'printed slate roof'

Personally I would use the UV varnish shown in my earlier post.

Main reason is it's brush applied, the brushes can be cleaned with water, it dries very matt and is nigh on odourless.

The beauty of a brush is that it will go only where you put the brush, is primarily designed for artists/photographers to protect their works from UV and to date hasn't affected any of the models I have put it on.

That also includes my loco's and rolling stock if carefully applied..

It can also be used to give a paint effect as well and by that I mean I mixed a little Lifecolor track grime to it, applied to some roof windows on the creamery building and hey presto gave a dirty weathered effect with very little effort plus a protective coat to boot.

post-8925-0-01312500-1474806374_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

And you haven't with jibes like the above, and about being hostile and ridiculous?  It would appear that you didn't read my original thread that you have been over sensitive about. I said I have heard that, I didn't say that I agreed or supported it.

But I'm prepared to move on if you're not. So here is the start of my next scratch-build structure:

153354.jpg

Can anyone tell what it is yet?

G.

A walkway roof, if I have read the writing correctly, to a building or underpass!

Kevin

Edited by KNP

From what I can see Kevin the brickwork doesn't look all that faded but such a beautifully constructed building needs to be saved regardless of how much saving it takes. Certain varnishes however seem to be stained and will lightly darken whatever they're applied to especially those used on yachts and though normally glossy, a final coat of clear matt should result in a flat surface. You could check for stained yacht varnishes on Ebay

So, would this be worth trying on a very small section of the building, say around the base where it can be hidden behind weeds if at all it's not successful ?

Cheers.

Allan. 

A walkway roof, if I have read the writing correctly, to a building or underpass!

Kevin

Yes, sort of.

The building is over the walkway (on the roof of it). There's a ramp at one end of the walkway and a bridge at the other (although neither have yet been started and will be made separately). It's based on a real 60/70s structure:

141003.jpg

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 2

From what I can see Kevin the brickwork doesn't look all that faded but such a beautifully constructed building needs to be saved regardless of how much saving it takes. Certain varnishes however seem to be stained and will lightly darken whatever they're applied to especially those used on yachts and though normally glossy, a final coat of clear matt should result in a flat surface. You could check for stained yacht varnishes on Ebay

So, would this be worth trying on a very small section of the building, say around the base where it can be hidden behind weeds if at all it's not successful ?

Cheers.

Allan. 

I'll certainly look into these varnishes, in fact I have an old tin of International clear yacht varnish in the garage so I dig this out and have a ago.

The other option your comments has sparked is to put a selected paint colour (which one I'll experiment with) into the UV varnish and see if that will have the same result of darkening and bringing back some colour.

In fact the chimney stack seems the best place to work on as it's a lost cause anyway so I might have a play later to see if I can do anything.

If works, or even if it doesn't, I'll pass on the results to help others.

Anyway thanks for the thought and comments.

Luckily the building isn't fixed down so it'll be easy to work on.

Kevin

Sorry for not posting to this thread for a very long time, but I was distracted by detailing rolling stock, or doing kits and conversion kits. Back at last to building a building my main station building. I was waiting until it was finished, but at the rate I build things (work commitments mostly!). I thought that maybe I should post as is now, and post more later when it is finished.

It is loosely based on Finchley Road and Hendon stations from the Midland St. Pancras extension in the 1860's, but is for my fictional station Ellerby (not either of the Yorkshire villages of the same name, but named after my daughter's first names Ella B). The design is also skewed to match some available parts like the Wills arches which I am very fond of. Living near York I was fortunate to be able to request to see the original plans of the stations from the NRM archive and photograph them, which was a huge help given to lack of photos  available of the stations. I can't post the photos as they are copyright the NRM. The archive staff there are so helpful and friendly to talk to, a huge 'thank you' to them in realising this build.

I build a thin plywood body which I glue plastic brick sheets on to, which makes a very strong laminate. Probably overkill, but they are really strong if somewhat slow to make.

StnMain51.jpg

Scratch built windows from strips of Evergreen, pieces of plasticard and the lovely shaped sprue from Wills window parts, which makes great carved stone angles (seen at the bottom of the windows).

StnMain48.jpg

StnMain54.jpg

Long winded details of the making of this in my layout thread from post 329/330

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53110-ellerby-layout-and-loco-detailing-back-to-making-buildings-for-a-while/page-14&do=findComment&comment=2397791

The plans I made, which were slightly amended as the build went on, are in post  265

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53110-ellerby-layout-and-loco-detailing-back-to-making-buildings-for-a-while/page-11&do=findComment&comment=2148779

Here is the side view (which had to have a bigger drop to the platform level added and the stairs lengthened):EllerbyPlatSide01.jpg

Hopefully at some point I can post finished images of the building, but don't hold your breath, the real thing was probably built quicker than the rate I go about things.

After this I will be a defector as I have some kit bashing planned, based on a Kibri corner house kit after discovering that was the source for some of the buildings on some of my favourite layouts, Wibdenshaw, Shenstone Road, and a few others.

Thanks to everyone for posting such inspiring work to this thread, from beginners through to those who post absolute masterpieces. Most of all, be inspired by everything here, and then just have a go, post your results, and let people give advice and accolades (or any other words that alliterate starting with 'a').

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 6

I did spray the brickpaper after it was printed with a cheap hair lacquer but it didn't stop this happening.

Not sure of the cause, it was in a dry shed with no windows.

attachicon.gifShed Front.jpg

attachicon.gifShed Rear.

Looks like some kind of mould from damp to me Pete and the sort of thing I've seen in some loft layouts as well as garden sheds.

Cheers.

Allan

Edited for spelling my name wrong !

Edited by allan downes