RCD vans

The antenna is out of loading gauge ;)   It is retractable (a bit like rm posts)

How well does it do its job? ;) Very well . Its calibrated from the wagon below (at one) and then it counts upwards................

Adrian

post-15321-0-45815900-1383768925_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

You're not taking this hobby seriously are you?

Mike.

Unfortunately on the day my very good friend and I took the photographs someone did take it seriously. An obstruction was placed on the track! Although the RCD van was unaffected the bogie on the second vehicle derailed. The obstruction was later found to be a Mk4 five eights be one rivet.

post-15321-0-47795800-1383809507_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant, cheered me up sitting in the cold after a radiator valve broke last night leaving me with no heating nor hot water.

I've seen a detector van on a layout before, but not the train with it. The rivet is great. Is it possible to have close ups of the other vehicles in the train?

• Like 1

Brilliant, cheered me up sitting in the cold after a radiator valve broke last night leaving me with no heating nor hot water.

I've seen a detector van on a layout before, but not the train with it. The rivet is great. Is it possible to have close ups of the other vehicles in the train?

A Dorodo is preserved at Bridgenorth, Colin. Here is a late 80s shot

post-15321-0-70153300-1383815225_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

There is a road vehicle RDV on Idleford (BNNRS) 7mm layout. I think they have copied the idea from the RCDS (Rivet Counter Detection Society) fanzine. I am sure they (the RCDS) would appreciate an article on this RDV submitted for publication. I'd buy a copy; I might even join the Society.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

There is a road vehicle RDV on Idleford (BNNRS) 7mm layout. I think they have copied the idea from the RCDS (Rivet Counter Detection Society) fanzine. I am sure they (the RCDS) would appreciate an article on this RDV submitted for publication. I'd buy a copy; I might even join the Society.

P

If you could write the contact information on a ten pound note and post it to me with a SAE. I will send you a thank you letter.

Does anyone have any information on the RCD vans converted from ex GWR dia N12 horseboxes by BR? Photographed at Moretonhampstead 1- 4- 59 this example seems to have had the under frame rebuilt with new brakes and roller bearings.

attachicon.gif1-4-1959.jpg

Did they operate on other regions beside the GWR/WR? I would imagine this would be the major area of use. It's a N13, by the way, one extra rivet on the door straps.

• Like 1

Shouldn't the ex Horse Box be numbered in the DW15xxxx series? :)

It probably should but then again I would have thought that ADB975560 should have been numbered in the DM395xxx series. The BR departmental numbering system had a mind of its own.

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/975560

(Please see the example on Aberdeen Kirkhill :) ,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/1271-aberdeen-kirkhill-trsd/?p=1015218, 2nd photo)

Edited by Flood

You're not taking this hobby seriously are you?

Mike.

Mike, I can see by your posts you have a sense of humour.

In 00 I don't think any of us can take the hobby too seriously

We strive to get the first 2 dimensions spot on (height and length).

·         3rd dimension is corrupted by 16.5 (should be 18.83). Of course that does not matter because perspective eliminates this.

Yes Pinocchio, I believe you!

·         4th dimension is time; just a few evenings work! Yes Pinocchio, I believe you!

·         5th dimension is a sense of humour. If this isn’t in your toolbox join a club.

I love the "tall tales" - At the Wolverhampton show there was  a BR Standard Crosti boilered 73xxx WOW

Edited by Alan Higgi
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I copped that Standard Crosti 5 in 1966 at Weymouth. It was about 01.30 one Sunday morning after visiting several hoslltl, hostelll, holstels, pubs. It was on a Cucumber Special (from the Channel islands - the cucumber not the 73xxx).

I copped that Standard Crosti 5 in 1966 at Weymouth. It was about 01.30 one Sunday morning after visiting several hoslltl, hostelll, holstels, pubs. It was on a Cucumber Special (from the Channel islands - the cucumber not the 73xxx).

On here somewhere is a Standard 2-8-0 (Redgate Models) Also a gallery of neverbuilts photoshopped by someone quite adept.

Did they operate on other regions beside the GWR/WR? I would imagine this would be the major area of use. It's a N13, by the way, one extra rivet on the door straps.

I believe they worked all over. (Except the SR.) The main sphere of operations was the Eastern Region.  Here is a variant at Coatfield (just below Hatfield) fitted with a device to detect the differences between Bachmann and kit built LMR 4mt 43xxx 2-6-0s. It is coupled to an Anorak Van. The Anorak Van is very interesting as it is an ex LNER diagram 172. Built unfitted, they received vac brakes, tie rods, low vac pipes, strengthened buffers and BR pattern axleboxes as part of the 1956 modernisation scheme. However the axle box tie rods are absent on this one. ( a feature of some fitted ex SR diagram 1458 vans too) The conversion to Anorak Van mainly involved the interior. This was padded and had the bars and hooks from redundant ex LMS diagram D1672A meat van M114995. This allowed one the facility to hang up all ones cameras and plastic carrier bags.

post-15321-0-93851700-1383902792_thumb.jpg
  • Like 6

Brilliant! That's a great idea.

I've got an old pair of Binoculars for fitting on a camera tripod, to sit in front of a layout. They're fitted with a laser sighting pointer and have a pair of stickers with the title "Rivet counter 5000!"  to be printed on the side.

Now, the question is, Do I ink the eye glass rims or not?

Brilliant! That's a great idea.

I've got an old pair of Binoculars for fitting on a camera tripod, to sit in front of a layout. They're fitted with a laser sighting pointer and have a pair of stickers with the title "Rivet counter 5000!"  to be printed on the side.

Now, the question is, Do I ink the eye glass rims or not?

If you model Blue/Grey yes                             pre 64 no.

What vehicles were cucumbers carried in?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

What vehicles were cucumbers carried in?

Oh I do apologise for forgetting to mention that. I seem to remember they were redundant/ modified Maunsel Open 3rds, however I might have been mistaken. I seem to remember that the windows were all sheeted over with some sort of aluminium.

P

• Like 1