East Midlands Miscellany

Hi guys,

I've only marked the last two pics as "funny" because that is how I find what our then future turned out to be!

What a sows ear those things and their kin turned out to be! Oh for the day, they are consigned to history and everyone gets a decent proper multiple unit, one that can be added to as required.

Cheers,

John E.

Picking up on post 233 with the single 25 on freightliners, here's one (in the Kettering area I think), about 1982-3, with bricks on freightliner wagons. Sorry about the lack of detail, indexing not up to date on this one.

attachicon.gifN44_0034.jpg

I've another photo of a 25 on the Greater Manchester "binliners", but that's outside the scope of this thread.

I think this'll be the 'Fletliner', which loaded at Forder's Sidings, Stewartby; bricks went to London (King's Cross), Liverpool (Garston) and also Manchester (Longsight), I believe. This would be one of the northbound trains. Whilst bricks had previously been labouriously stacked by hand in wagons, and then on to lorries in most cases, these flat containers were delivered direct to site. The service lasted for less than a decade, I believe. The terminal was later to become the Forder's Sidings 'Binliner' terminal.

Here are my first contributions to this thread:

Class 37 97304 at Derby 4 April 2009

post-7238-0-19701700-1398444527.jpg

The Signal box and Gantry at Derby Junction 8 March 1964

post-7238-0-52323300-1398444599.jpg

Trent Station 5 Oct 1963

post-7238-0-12609800-1398444619.jpg

42982 at Trent also 5 Oct 1963

post-7238-0-81052600-1398444637.jpg

p.s. Somewhere in my slides is one of a 25 on a five-wagon Freightliner set on the Down line at Stenson Jct

Edited by Poor Old Bruce
  • Like 14

Richard, love the one taken from Five Arches Bridge.

On the other side of Derby is the suburb of Peartree. A 3-car Swindon Cross-Country Cl.120 is shown on a Crewe - Lincoln working on a bitterly cold day in 1981. The "Clough for Derby" slogan on the fence behind the signal is a remarkable survivor; not defaced in the seven years that Brian Clough had left Derby in October 1973.

post-6880-0-78837600-1398459448.jpg

• Like 4

Whilst sorting a few files on the computer I found the second picture I took of the Princess Elizabeth special shown earlier. This was taken on the return journey as it passed through Barrow on Trent.

post-13478-0-20943100-1398460193_thumb.jpg

Edited by andyram
  • Like 5

Chaddesden Sidings always fascinated me. A large marshalling yard, yet almost unrecorded either in word or picture. Even after closure, the Wagon Shops remained for a while. Here we find an assortment of largely BR standard wagons awaiting the cutters torch outside the workshops.

post-6880-0-63481600-1398463768.jpg

• Like 10

Chaddesden Sidings always fascinated me. A large marshalling yard, yet almost unrecorded either in word or picture. Even after closure, the Wagon Shops remained for a while. Here we find an assortment of largely BR standard wagons awaiting the cutters torch outside the workshops.

I will passing near to that location tomorrow, just over by the gas towers is the Pride Park Stadium (or IPro to give it its current name).

23rd April - but 32 years ago.

I'm standing on the site of Chaddesden South Junction, once the nerve centre of Chaddesden Sidings. Looking towards Derby we can see the Cathedral on the skyline and to the right, St Mary's Church. For a short while in the early 1960s this was the main route linking London and Manchester on the route of the Midland Pullman.

If you watch the British Transport Film on the Blue Pullman, at 3m45s you can see what this view would've looked like when it was still an important railway centre.

post-6880-0-70269100-1398466486.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

i think your right, i used to be based in chaddesden sidings with fastline freight and there still looked to be room to reinstate a line if they wanted to alongside wyvern way, there is even a bridge on derwent way that could get a line under it

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

23rd April - but 32 years ago.

I'm standing on the site of Chaddesden South Junction, once the nerve centre of Chaddesden Sidings. Looking towards Derby we can see the Cathedral on the skyline and to the right, St Mary's Church. For a short while in the early 1960s this was the main route linking London and Manchester on the route of the Midland Pullman.

If you watch the British Transport Film on the Blue Pullman, at 3m45s you can see what this view would've looked like when it was still an important railway centre.

I seem to remember that this was the original route into Derby before the line past what became the RTC was built?

it amazes me that the chaddesden line wasn't left in, or even reinstated to avoid trains having to change ends/run round in derby station

I believe this is exactly what did happen, before the 'new' route was built!

It certainly was always a fascinating place!

I believe part of these buildings survived for a good long time as "Chaddesden Fireplaces", they may even still be going?

Speaking of breaking stock up, my neighbour in Spondon was one of the sons of the owner of "Albert Looms" scrapyard, he told me that one day his dad set fire to a rake of wooden vans, as was the practice in those days (burn off the wood, recover the steel), only one or more of these vans were explosive carrying wagons!

Fully emptied of course but enough explosive had leaking into the van floor & other places that it still blew up, knocking my mates dad off his feet!

Cheers,

John E.

• Like 1

I think the civil engineers had a major presence at Chaddeston Sidings in the 1970s and early 1980s, was there a spoil tip there?

cheers 

I think the civil engineers had a major presence at Chaddeston Sidings in the 1970s and early 1980s, was there a spoil tip there?

cheers 

The 2005 Quail shows a used ballast stockpile (aka 'spoil tip') and a 'New Ballast Stockpile'. Two groups of loops (seven roads in total) plus a dead-end road.

The sole connection shown these days is from Derby station; from the talk of the Midland Pullman going this way, I presume there must have been a triangle at the Derby end?

Hopefully this sketch puts things in perspective.

The marshalling sidings at Chaddesden extended from Derby South Junction to Chaddesden South Junction. There were departure roads and a large carriage shed between Chadd South Jn and Turntable Sidings.

the Midland Pullman (and a few other expresses took the direct Derby North Jn - Spondon Jn route. Local trains from Nottm also travelled via Chadd and entered Derby from the north.

As John rightly says, this was the original line into Derby from Nottingham.

post-6880-0-97010800-1398502516.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The 2005 Quail shows a used ballast stockpile (aka 'spoil tip') and a 'New Ballast Stockpile'. Two groups of loops (seven roads in total) plus a dead-end road.

and here they are...

Image277.jpg

the dead end road on the left is long enough for 2 full 21 wagon rakes complete with locos, you can see how far it curves round by the wagons in the distance

its a really tight curve into the yard from the mainline, even before you get to the actual yard you can only do 5mph round it

i find it hard to believe that all of chad would go under development plans for pride park, it became a pretty major place again just recently for network rail during the redevelopment of nottingham etc and is a handy 'extra' stabling area for verious bits and bobs, certainly when ive asked to run round in there with a train due to problems/congestion i've not been allowed to due to traffic levels in there

Edited by big jim
  • Like 5

Richard, love the one taken from Five Arches Bridge.

On the other side of Derby is the suburb of Peartree. A 3-car Swindon Cross-Country Cl.120 is shown on a Crewe - Lincoln working on a bitterly cold day in 1981. The "Clough for Derby" slogan on the fence behind the signal is a remarkable survivor; not defaced in the seven years that Brian Clough had left Derby in October 1973.

Of course, Sir Brian went on to bigger and better things at the more illustrious neighbours the other side of Trent Junction!

Rob