Temeraire

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Last evening 73132 was spotted making its debut into traffic when it took over the evening mails for Tidworth at Leaford Yard and I managed a couple of pics with the iPhone. (I did charge up the camera and took it along for this purpose but left the memory card at home!)

post-6922-0-10839200-1452666565.jpg

73132 departs after taking over from the resident Large Logo 73105.

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

Here we go again! I made a start tonight on the repaint of the dutch 73, a few minutes to strip down and removal of all the logos etc and then careful masking ready to paint.

post-6922-0-44625900-1452894532.jpg

Initially I thought it was just the roof to sort but the more I looked at it I decided it needed more. The bodyside grey looked a little green to me and would not match the roof once painted with Railmatch R/F grey so both need doing and as for the yellow!

post-6922-0-69768900-1452894553.jpg

So after masking the whole was primed ready for fresh paint, which hopefully will get done over this week. 

• Like 9

Hi Ian,

The ED's are looking good though it's a shame you have to pretty much repaint them. Your 73132 looks heaps better now looking forwards to the finished Dutch one now.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

Still on the class 73 theme I'm afraid but whilst yet another coat of yellow dries on the Dutch 73, this afternoon I made the modifications to the pickups as mentioned previously and I promised some pics.

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Nice neat work Ian :good: - But I don't think we should have to do mods like this on new expensive Loco's, things like this and the Livery should have been correct in the first place.

Cheers Bob, and you're right but it is what it is, as they say, so its either make the best of it or send it back and do without. As Dapol have buried their heads in the sand and said nothing let alone what they are planning to do about all the issues, I decided to improve where possible with a bit of good old modelling. ;)

• Like 5

Nice work Ian, and you're right... it had to be done or you'd have nothing. I get the distinct impression that Dapol aren't planning to do anything. Reading between the lines of their Facebook responses (in  the absence of email replies), there isn't anything wrong at all (bar the PCB issue). For some not inconsiderable effort, you've certainly ended up with a fine looking couple of locos.

• RMweb Premium

Fabulous photos and explanation - many thanks. What gauge wire did you use please? Has the additional friction caused any noticeable effects?

Thanks Mike

post-6922-0-36931600-1453476803.jpg

This is the wire I used, I haven't had a chance to run this loco for any distance but I have used the same wire arrangement on other locos previously without it causing any problems.

Edited by Temeraire

• RMweb Gold

Slaters also do phosphor bronze strips and work well too. You just need to cut two thin slots with a razor saw, they put a little less pressure on if the loco is small. The wire will be just as good on a big centre motor loco like the 73 though. Very neat job Ian.

Evening all

Still on the class 73 theme I'm afraid but whilst yet another coat of yellow dries on the Dutch 73, this afternoon I made the modifications to the pickups as mentioned previously and I promised some pics.

attachicon.gif73pu1.jpg

Bogie frame removed the current pickups are visible.  Continuity relies on the wipers staying in contact with the brass bearings but this has been found to be intermittent particularly on corners and I doubt the presence of the lubrication helps.You can see that the bottom right hand contact has moved inwards.

Thats a good modification Ian, I wish I had thought of that?

Best regards

Kevin.

attachicon.gif73pu2.jpg

Firstly two grooves were cut into the bogie sides to take the new brass wire contacts.

attachicon.gif73pu3.jpg

A wire 'U' was fashioned from brass wire as shown.

attachicon.gif73pu4.jpg

The wire U was positioned as shown in contact with the existing wipers.

attachicon.gif73pu5.jpg

After adding a touch of flux, the two contacts were soldered very carefully together, taking care not to touch any of the gears etc.

attachicon.gif73pu6.jpg

New contacts bent into place and cut to length after the driving wheels were removed.

attachicon.gif73pu7.jpg

Close up of new contacts in position and one set of wheels replaced.

attachicon.gif73pu8.jpg

All in place.

attachicon.gif73pu9.jpg

Bogie sideframes refitted. The brass wires will now be painted black and become almost invisible.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bob, I hope these are okay for you.

tamper1_100216.jpg.db9428e3cd82f627ae47b8d855dc228f.jpg

tamper2_100216.jpg.31b7eab9813284a38a2fe0af28b25ede.jpg

tamper3_100216.jpg.54bbc1d09eb4a3805895788e612161b0.jpg

While I was taking photos of the tamper this turned up!

Ajax_100216.jpg.d34a0733b0ce3baf1ac3d5c30f305afe.jpg

And a quick one on the way back to the car after Ajax had run round.

50046_100216.jpg.44688c2550a26fb2065318b7fc5bf5cb.jpg

Edited by Temeraire
  • Like 17