Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Yesterdays photos at Swayfield:

1A08 was the 07:50 Bradford/08:25 Leeds-KX

J3115 from the formation was the 13:10 KX-Leeds/Bradford

J5444 from the formation was the 12:15SO KX-Newcastle

J6982 the nearest formation that I can find in the carriage workings is the 10:50SO Edinburgh-KX

• RMweb Gold

Yesterdays photos at Swayfield:

1A08 was the 07:50 Bradford/08:25 Leeds-KX

J3115 from the formation was the 13:10 KX-Leeds/Bradford

J5444 from the formation was the 12:15SO KX-Newcastle

J6982 the nearest formation that I can find in the carriage workings is the 10:50SO Edinburgh-KX

Thanks once again Mark,  the workings look right for the angle of the lighting in the photos.  They would probably have been taken on Saturdays.

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

Thanks yet again for sharing your photo archive with the rest of us. I particularly like C4950 and C4951 showing off the EP valve chests and point drives. Happy memories of working on such beasts whilst a trainee at York in mid 1970s, although they had a nasty bite if you weren't careful. Thankfully I still have all my fingers and toes!

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle photo’s which bring back many memories. The first photo’, actually shows a hybrid unit. The DMBS is a Cravens class 105, but the DTSL is a Metropolitan Cammell class 101 car. You can tell from the gutters which are only over the doors, the different saloon windows, and the three and a half windows between the two passenger doors.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Newcastle photo’s which bring back many memories. The first photo’, actually shows a hybrid unit. The DMBS is a Cravens class 105, but the DTSL is a Metropolitan Cammell class 101 car. You can tell from the gutters which are only over the doors, the different saloon windows, and the three and a half windows between the two passenger doors.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Thanks Rob,

I wonder if it is the same hybrid formation we have already had photos of in this thread, taken at the end of February (today's was very early in the month).

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Ffestiniog Railway photo’s, which are so atmospheric. The Welsh scenery is so lovely, and the Railway was still mostly a bullhead track railway, which always seems right, somehow, and very British.

The GE photo’s are delightful, and in J6934 at Ingatestone, with a class 37 on an up service, in May, 1980, you can clearly see a crude way of plating over the gangway doors. I don’t think it could have been much worse!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

A continuing issue for the SWML on the Gwent levels especially between Newport and Cardiff.  Brunel started tipping ballast on this section in 1850, and they've been putting more on top ever since, haven't found the bottom yet!  Capable of bottoming out the springs on most locos, and one developed a conditioned reflex of bending one's knees as you passed over them.

Standing in the vicinity of such a location when a train passed would usually result in your being sprayed with grey ballast mud.  The moisture ground the limestone ballast into a paste, making it useless as ballast.

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold

A 'wet bed' or 'wet bay' I think.

Once knew a Ganger who referred to it as 'Pumping track '

Wet spot was the term used by PW people I knew. No 1 Boat Train Route seemed to have its share and more. And slurry pumping was exactly what you would see as a train passed over the affected sleepers. Every axle caused the sleepers to move. The ballast was being rubbed from rough to smooth against itself, and the slurry was stone in water.

The section between New Cross and St Johns has always been bad and in the station at Blackheath ( which often flooded causing the 'pots ' to explode ) But that's all off topic.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

Some cracking photos yet again. Re J663, the 40 on the parcels is actually on the Up Normanton (at that time) so, unless it crosses over at Church Fenton, it is likely to be heading in the Sheffield direction rather than the Leeds direction.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the York and area photo's. I've been on the train to York today, and things have certainly changed, including the museum.

The first photo' is an excellent view of Ranskill's down starter signal in April, 1969. A good example of a signal with a stronger lower post from metal plating. Very NER.

That BG in J663, as postulated in the post above is a Collet example. You can tell from the bodyside windows, the roof details, and the tumblehome.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the L.T.&S.R. photo’s which are most interesting. The first one, at Tilbury Town with 302226 on a Tilbury to Fenchurch St, service, in May, 1980, J6910, has much of interest to see including part of a ship in a dock. The next three photo’s are clearly taken, by your Dad, from the same place that the BBC used for the end credits to Softly Softly: Task Force. I have the series on DVD.

With warmest regards,

Rob.