Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Swayfield photo's. It is great to see all those Deltics running at speed on those ECML expresses. Regarding the names and numbers, I think the last is probably as captioned as 9015, Tulyar.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Come on you lot. No-one has given a blow by blow account of the NCB hoppers in C5918.

Seriously, I am sure if you painted your hoppers that colour you would be told it was wrong.

Jonathan

Why - in bright, low sunlight - that's how they appeared.

More to the point - what's that BR hopper with the 'boxed' data panel doing in the middle of that NCB rake?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Excellent pictures David, what were the tunnels at seaham harbour?

The beach railway ran to Bessie's Hole and was used for taking sand to Candlishes Bottle Works. Bits of the raised railway can still be seen around the Featherbed area. Most of it would be submerged at high water. Latterly it was used for maintainence of of the north pier around Red Acre point.

It can be seen on this map.

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/442991/549871/12/101064

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

A quintet of Deltics at Swayfield today.

You can enjoy deciding whether I have the numbers right and also trying to identify the two for which I don't have a number.

I pretty certain that C1164 is 9021 again - big nameplate and the clips on the cab roof where the horns originally were. 21 was recorded on 1N10 on Saturday 18th November 1972 (courtesy of The Chronicles of Napier).

C1165 is one of the other three Haymarket locos, with a slightly smaller plate - so either 9006, 9010 or 9019. 9006, however, was only in traffic for the first six days of November 1972. Given the shape of the plate and the arrangement of the lettering, my immediate thought was that it was 9010. Assuming that it was taken on the same day as C1164, checking The Chronicles of Napier does not give any reported workings for 10 on that day (until now?). 9019, however, was reported on 1A04 (the 07:30 ex-Leeds) and so couldn't have been on 1E01.

So, I would suggest that C1164 is probably 9021 and C1165 is probably 9010, if the date seems right.

The beach railway ran to Bessie's Hole and was used for taking sand to Candlishes Bottle Works. Bits of the raised railway can still be seen around the Featherbed area. Most of it would be submerged at high water. Latterly it was used for maintainence of of the north pier around Red Acre point.

P

That is the only example of a tidal railway that I've ever heard of.  Is it the only one?

• RMweb Gold

P

Remains of the track bed in this old photo by the look of it.

http://east-durham.co.uk/wp/wp-content/gallery/beaches/BE-009.jpg

and one from the other side of Featherbed Rocks

http://east-durham.co.uk/wp/wp-content/gallery/beaches/BE-020.jpg

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That is the only example of a tidal railway that I've ever heard of.  Is it the only one?

The flyunder beneath the SWML on the up Swansea District line at Briton Ferry used to be below high water level on spring tides, and would frequently flood; one had to divert through Briton Ferry yard.  There may be other examples in low lying coastal areas.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I hope you will get well soon. I’ve just finished having a bad cold and a gum infection.

The Foxfield Railway photos are great, and there was quite a lot to be done on various locos and stock at the time the photos were taken.

The Bottesford photos are so nostalgic. The DMU in the first one was a combination that was often to be seen at that time, and it was a Cravens and a Derby ‘Heavyweight ‘ which was involved in the fatal Lockington accident.

The two Class 20’s in C6155, with 20172 leading, make a magnificent sight.

Will that be your Father in the last photo?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

C6108 is interesting for showing the window bars in the guards van of the Mk2 a/c coach - I don't know if it's a feature that's modelled much, unlike the more usual vertical bars on Mk1s.

Looks like the coach has been re-allocated judging by the rather 'home made' SC prefix!

Edited by keefer

Blowing up the picture, I think the running number is 14156, although it could be 14166.

According to Longworth's Mk1 and Mk2 book, BFK 14156 was originally an Eastern Region coach into service 11/71. It was transferred to Scotland 7/79, then to LMR in 11/79, then back to ER 5/81. In 11/83 it was renumbered 17156 and transferred back to LMR.

14166 was into service in 1972 on LMR, transferred to WR 7/82 and to ScR 10/82. it was renumbered Sc17166 5/84.

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Blowing up the picture, I think the running number is 14156, although it could be 14166.

According to Longworth's Mk1 and Mk2 book, BFK 14156 was originally an Eastern Region coach into service 11/71. It was transferred to Scotland 7/79, then to LMR in 11/79, then back to ER 5/81. In 11/83 it was renumbered 17156 and transferred back to LMR.

14166 was into service in 1972 on LMR, transferred to WR 7/82 and to ScR 10/82. it was renumbered Sc17166 5/84.

Zooming in I reckon that is 14166 which as 17166 was a Polmadie vehicle in 86. I would also question the loco being 47453, it might well be 47463.

Cracking images as usual...

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I hope you will get well soon. I’ve just finished having a bad cold and a gum infection.

The Foxfield Railway photos are great, and there was quite a lot to be done on various locos and stock at the time the photos were taken.

The Bottesford photos are so nostalgic. The DMU in the first one was a combination that was often to be seen at that time, and it was a Cravens and a Derby ‘Heavyweight ‘ which was involved in the fatal Lockington accident.

The two Class 20’s in C6155, with 20172 leading, make a magnificent sight.

Will that be your Father in the last photo?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Yes, it is Dad.  At the time he was just starting to walk around a bit after quite a serious heart attack.  Later he had heart surgery - I think it was about 7 bypasses - at the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle and lived until 2005.

Zooming in I reckon that is 14166 which as 17166 was a Polmadie vehicle in 86. I would also question the loco being 47453, it might well be 47463.

Cracking images as usual...

Dave

You could well be right about the loco number, I can convince myself that both 47453 and 47463 are correct!  I went with 47453 as that is what I wrote down on the day, but it is very easy to get it wrong when trying to take a photo and read the number.

Thanks too for the coach identification.

David

Thanks very much for your work on the coach identification.

David

• Like 1