Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Little Mill Class 40 down freight May 74 J3708

I'm going for 40171 on this. The clues are frost screens, not ScR allocated, air-braked, green, TOPS numbered, and Royal Train fitted, with the last feature being the clincher.

Can't find another photo of the same end and side in 1974, so this 1976 shot will have to do.

https://flic.kr/p/ayd66W

Little Mill Class 40 down freight May 74 J3708

I'm going for 40171 on this. The clues are frost screens, not ScR allocated, air-braked, green, TOPS numbered, and Royal Train fitted, with the last feature being the clincher.

Can't find another photo of the same end and side in 1974, so this 1976 shot will have to do.

https://flic.kr/p/ayd66W

Hi guys not 40171 as it was a very early dual braker but a good match is 40184.

• RMweb Premium

"an English guide to pronunciation underneath"

But I am not sure who can have written it. Some very odd suggestions:

"Gill" in English does not have the Welsh ll sound, u in English does not sound like "ee" etc.

Still it gives visitors something to have fun with.

And in any case I understand that it was an invention of the railway for the tourists in the first place.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the North Wales photo's. It is interesting to see the Great Orme Tramway. And in C5706, the DMU, at maximum magnification, appears to be 8 cars long, and composed of two class 101' two car units, and two class 108' two car units with four character headcode boxes.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

"an English guide to pronunciation underneath"

But I am not sure who can have written it. Some very odd suggestions:

"Gill" in English does not have the Welsh ll sound, u in English does not sound like "ee" etc.

Still it gives visitors something to have fun with.

And in any case I understand that it was an invention of the railway for the tourists in the first place.

Jonathan

Yes, but using the International Phonetic Alphabet for accuracy wouldn't be as useful for most visitors I suspect.

Isn't the 'U' is substituting for the indistinct vowel sound (technically a schwa) which the Welsh Y can be? And there isn't an English letter for the Welsh LL sound, so I think they're assuming that enough English speakers know that LL in Welsh is something "weird" (bilateral voiceless fricative?).

Anyway, back to the trains.

Edited by eastwestdivide

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Northumberland photos. The second one of Isabella Sidings with NCB Hunslet 0-6-0DS makes for a most rustic sight. All that old long grass and trees makes me wonder how similar the line must have been to the former Derwent Valley Railway of East Yorkshire, that was barely visible for all the grass and weeds.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Yes, but using the International Phonetic Alphabet for accuracy wouldn't be as useful for most visitors I suspect.

Isn't the 'U' is substituting for the indistinct vowel sound (technically a schwa) which the Welsh Y can be? And there isn't an English letter for the Welsh LL sound, so I think they're assuming that enough English speakers know that LL in Welsh is something "weird" (bilateral voiceless fricative?).

Anyway, back to the trains.

The easiest way for non Welsh speakers to pronounce "ll" is this. lift the tip of your tongue to the roof of your mouth then exhale. The sound you make is exactly right.  "U" in Welsh is eee, and "dd" in Welsh is soft.

Therefore the former Festiniog railway terminus named Dduallt is simply Thee - ahh ll t.  Get you tongue working !!!  

• Like 1

The easiest way for non Welsh speakers to pronounce "ll" is this. lift the tip of your tongue to the roof of your mouth then exhale. The sound you make is exactly right.  "U" in Welsh is eee, and "dd" in Welsh is soft.

Therefore the former Festiniog railway terminus named Dduallt is simply Thee - ahh ll t.  Get you tongue working !!!  

So it's not Diddle-a-lot then?

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Michael for bringing us back into line after my detour.

The two photos of the branch track make an interesting comparison. I suspect that in earlier days may branches klooked like the "former" view but carried their traffic perfectly well - but the it wasn't 100 T bogie wagons and derailments were not unknown.

Jonathan

A few from the Newcastle upon Tyne area this evening.

attachicon.gifab Newcastle 47419 down le Feb 80_J6781.jpg

Newcastle 47419 down le Feb 80 J6781

attachicon.gifb Manors 47301 up ICI tanks 27th May 87_C8542.jpg

Manors 47301 up ICI tanks 27th May 87 C8542

attachicon.gifb Manors T&W Metro, ECML in foreground 27th May 87_C8535.jpg

Manors T&W Metro, ECML in foreground 27th May 87 C8535

attachicon.gifcb Heaton 31 down Speedlink 25th June 84_C6578.jpg

Heaton 31 down Speedlink 25th June 84 C6578

attachicon.giff Forest Hall Class 101 Morpeth to Newcastle March 81_C5284.jpg

Forest Hall Class 101 Morpeth to Newcastle March 81 C5284

David

Sorry for the thread bounce, but does my Citroen radar detect an orange one in the carpark(c5284). It was about the only colour I never owned, but did own a yellow S plate similar to yours.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry for the thread bounce, but does my Citroen radar detect an orange one in the carpark(c5284). It was about the only colour I never owned, but did own a yellow S plate similar to yours.

Yes, it is indeed an orange Dyane.  It's not mine, though at one time I did have an orange one (R Reg).

In 1981, when I took the photo I had a yellow one with a T reg plate.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the GE photos. The second one, at Manningtree, is a great view of a 47 with the characteristic Stratford silver roof.

The SNCF 141R 141R73, in C1872 and C1875, was presumably on its way to the Nene Valley Railway.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

A few from Peak Forest and Great Rocks for today, again a bit earlier than usual.

They were all taken in 1990. I thought these were a bit recent for me to post, then I realised that it is nearly 25 years ago. I must be getting old, the trips there seem like yesterday.

attachicon.gift Peak Forest 37425 shunting Peak Forest 19th April 90 C14384.jpg

Peak Forest 37425 shunting Peak Forest 19th April 90 C14384

attachicon.gift Peak Forest Class 47 dropping off after banking train 19th April 90 C14389.jpg

Peak Forest Class 47 dropping off after banking train 19th April 90 C14389

attachicon.gift Peak Forest 37411 limestone 19th April 90 C14396.jpg

Peak Forest 37411 limestone 19th April 90 C14396

attachicon.gift Peak Forest Class 47 empty ICI hoppers 19th April 90 C14416.jpg

Peak Forest Class 47 empty ICI hoppers 19th April 90 C14416

attachicon.gifs Great Rocks ICI shunter 24th Aug 90 C15296.jpg

Great Rocks ICI shunter 24th Aug 90 C15296

Edited to add a missing comma.

David

Well it's only taken 3 years to find a possible answer! A Sandite coach as this link of half a 105 at Peak Forest is probably the same vehiclehttp://www.departmentals.com/photo/977048I'll catchup honest! Edited by w124bob

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the GE photos. The second one, at Manningtree, is a great view of a 47 with the characteristic Stratford silver roof.

The SNCF 141R 141R73, in C1872 and C1875, was presumably on its way to the Nene Valley Railway.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It actually went to Bressingham.

I believe it is now stored in Switzerland as a source of spare parts after a restoration company failed.

Does anyone know anything more?

David

• RMweb Gold

It actually went to Bressingham.

I believe it is now stored in Switzerland as a source of spare parts after a restoration company failed.

Does anyone know anything more?

David

Looking at the picture of the tender, it seems there was a stowaway elephant inside it!

Mike.

Some Nice Harwich photos David. Thank you for sharing. More info on "Essex Ferry II" can be found here. http://www.doverferryphotosforums.co.uk/mv-essex-ferry-ii-past-and-present/  Lasted until 1982, and cut up in 1983. I manages a shot of a sister ship, "Cambridge Ferry", which can be seen below, along with some quayside shots of the ferry comings and goings. All taken in 1984 during my MP12 train handling sessions. The boat trains from Liverpool Street to Harwich Parkeston Quay, being a favorite for my instructor to use for training.

20053253168_c2f6eab8ef_h.jpgCBR-5-130 by Paul James, on Flickr

20053251858_e4712e61ea_h.jpgCBR-5-133 by Paul James, on Flickr

20247073871_b2081dc6dc_h.jpgCBR-5-136 by Paul James, on Flickr

Paul J.

• Like 14

Some photos from Ratcliffe on Soar and Hathern today.  They are on the Midland Main Line between Nottingham and Loughborough.

Some of these photos are not the everyday mundane trains.

attachicon.gifnb Ratcliffe on Soar Hawksworth coach as dynamometer car in chocolate and cream Dec 69 C183.jpg

Ratcliffe on Soar Hawksworth coach as dynamometer car in chocolate and cream Dec 69 C183

The wagons just coming into the photo behind the dynamometer car were freightliner container wagons.

attachicon.gifna Ratcliffe on Soar Class 25 D7511 up coal empties July 71 C666.jpg

Ratcliffe on Soar Class 25 D7511 up coal empties July 71 C666

I have no recollection at all of taking this photo.

attachicon.gifs Hathern station site 45054 down coal Aug 78 C4109.jpg

Hathern station site 45054 down coal Aug 78 C4109

attachicon.gifs Hathern Class 25 down test train Aug 78 C4110.jpg

Hathern Class 25 down test train Aug 78 C4110

attachicon.gifnb Ratcliffe on Soar 3 Class 20s down le at -12degrees Jan 79 C4255.jpg

Ratcliffe on Soar 3 Class 20s down le at -12degrees Jan 79 C4255

I'm not sure I'd go out in this weather any more.  At the time I was driving a Citroen Dyane which at least had a starting handle which could be very useful in cold weather.  The heater was very primitive!

On the way to take the photo I passed several lorries with small fires burning underneath them as their diesel had frozen.

Trains were a bit thin on the ground too - as I remember it BR were leaving a lot of engines running overnight as otherwise they wouldn't start in the morning.

David

I remember this winter well, I was 9 months into my railway career doing frost precautions duty at Mantle Lane(any photos of the area?) , arriving from a 12 mile commute frozen to my Honda 50! Also one of the few occasions we went to Leicester before Burton F&I closed for boiler fitted 25 with a steam lance, only the ex Burton men knew boilers. I went to Orpington in '83 for a quick promotion so the shots of Petts Wood bring back memories too.Happy days, keep them coming.

• RMweb Gold

I remember this winter well, I was 9 months into my railway career doing frost precautions duty at Mantle Lane(any photos of the area?) , arriving from a 12 mile commute frozen to my Honda 50! Also one of the few occasions we went to Leicester before Burton F&I closed for boiler fitted 25 with a steam lance, only the ex Burton men knew boilers. I went to Orpington in '83 for a quick promotion so the shots of Petts Wood bring back memories too.Happy days, keep them coming.

Many thanks for your comments.  I don't think I have any photos around Mantle Lane, it was in the wrong direction from home!

David