Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

I've no idea about the brake van, does anyone else know?

As far as I know the blue band over the window is indeed the lockable storage area - but I've hardly ever ridden on a 150 as they don't appear in my part of the world.

David

The brake van was for the shunter to ride in - as seen in the picture

I've no idea about the brake van, does anyone else know?

David

Much like the 03 and their match trucks the 08 required a bakevan at Temple Meads to cover staggered ends of track circuits. Doncaster had a similar arrangement before resignalling.

Edited by LNERGE

• RMweb Gold

Much like the 03 and their match trucks the 08 required a bakevan at Temple Meads to cover staggered ends of track circuits. Doncaster had a similar arrangement before resignalling.

Not by the date of the photos posted above.  The requirement for a diesel shunter (of any sort) to have a brakevan attached while in or passing through the areas controlled by Temple Meads East and West signalboxes ended with the closure of those 'boxes and revision of track circuiting under the Bristol MAS scheme and the Instruction is not included in the 1973 Sectional Appendix although it was present in the 1960 and 1969 editions.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great photo's of Waterloo and Clapham Junction. The first photo' is interesting, in that the Mk1 BCK has curtains in the second class windows. I wonder if this was a Southern Region variation? In the last photo', C9576, of 73 105, and an ex-LMS Inspection Saloon, the saloon has some differences from the 4mm Bachmann model.

Please keep the photo's coming,

All the best,

Market65.

A visit to Bristol Temple Meads this evening.

All the photos were taken on 1st July 1989 while I was staying nearby for a work conference - but I cannot remember anything about either the conference or the journey there and back, except that I travelled by train from Newcastle!

The photos would have been taken after the "work" had finished for the day.

a Bristol Temple Meads 47591 NE to SW ex pass 1st July 89 C12100.jpg

Bristol Temple Meads 47591 NE to SW ex pass 1st July 89 C12100

a Bristol Temple Meads 50042 Triumph 1st July 89 C12102.jpg

Bristol Temple Meads 50042 Triumph 1st July 89 C12102

a Bristol Temple Meads 08343 37003 47569 47654 1st July 89 C12105.jpg

Bristol Temple Meads 08343 37003 47569 47654 1st July 89 C12105

a Bristol Temple Meads 08949 shunting 1st July 89 C12109e.jpg

Bristol Temple Meads 08949 shunting 1st July 89 C12109e

a Bristol Temple Meads 150281 1st July 89 C12111.jpg

Bristol Temple Meads 150281 1st July 89 C12111

David

47591 is working 1V53 13.05 York-Plymouth

Hi, Dave. Great photo's of Waterloo and Clapham Junction. The first photo' is interesting, in that the Mk1 BCK has curtains in the second class windows. I wonder if this was a Southern Region variation? In the last photo', C9576, of 73 105, and an ex-LMS Inspection Saloon, the saloon has some differences from the 4mm Bachmann model.

All the best,

Market65.

A number of Mk 1s on the Southern gained orange curtains in second after they first appeared on the Bournemouth electrics. Remember, at this time most corridor EMUs also had curtains in second class.

The LMS style saloon, 395280, was as I recall a conversion of an existing vehicle, possibly a kitchen car, while the more familiar saloons in the 450XX range were all new builds.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Excellent pictures again Dave, the second one seems to have a scrap class 126 presumably waiting to go to Snailwell

Many thanks for the information.  I thought it was a dmu but couldn't think what it was or where it would be going behind a 37.

David

• RMweb Gold

Super pictures. The Manchester - Harwich is a Harwich - Manchester..

I never did know the difference between east and west!

Seriously, thanks very much for the correction and the comment about the photos..

I nearly didn't use these photos as the original scans were poor and I wasn't sure whether I could correct and sharpen them enough!.

David

Edited by DaveF

I wonder whatever happened to the Gresley brake third in the breakdown train? It seems like only yesterday that the Eastern was littered with those, one or two in practically every major yard.

Edited by RANGERS

I never did know the difference between east and west!

Seriously, thanks very much for the correction and the comment about the photos..

I nearly didn't use these photos as the original scans were poor and I wasn't sure whether I could correct and sharpen them enough!.

David

I'm glad you posted the pictures. Still not found the 37 though.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of both Bury St Edmunds and Ely tonight. That last one at Bury St Edmunds: the Gresley, is a former four compartment, turn-buckle trussed, brake third. I am also unsure what happened to it, but I thought, at one time, that it had been preserved, and then I heard that it had been scrapped.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for the information.  I thought it was a dmu but couldn't think what it was or where it would be going behind a 37.

David

I'm glad you posted the pictures. Still not found the 37 though.

Very red face time for me I'm afraid.  It's an 08 not a 37, and it's not coupled to the Class 126 either.

I did say it wasn't a very good scan, I had to go back to my slide catalogue to see what I should have put!   Perhaps I need to go to Specsavers (actually I think my optician is better- when I had a vision problem last year he immediately referred me to my GP and did a retina photo without charge.  When I arrived at my GP's I was seen in less than 10 minutes).

David

Edited by DaveF