OO Works next model - LBSCR Marsh Class ?I3? 4-4-2T

PrestburyJack

According to their website, the next model from OO Works (no connection except as a satisfied customer of their E4, H, C, L and 700 classes) will be the LBSCR Marsh Class I3 4-4-2T locomotive.

http://www.ooworks.co.uk/#/forthcoming-locomotive/4584230319

Presumably, with Bachmann already producing the C and announcing the E4, and Hornby announcing the 700, OO Works are looking to model classes which are less likely to be produced by the above in future - will the fact that no I3s are preserved assist them and dissuade Bachmann and Hornby from making the I3?

Thank you for posting about that company's new model.  I must admit that I hadn't heard of them before.  It looks interesting; unfortunately, I have a feeling that it will be a little too expensive for my layout at present, unless I rapidly improve my modelling skills to make my layout worthy of it. 

On the other hand, it does help to put recent price rises for certain mainstream model railway companies into perspective.

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not for me unfortunately. All I get is a blank screen in a very tasteful shade of brown. No content etc at all.

Regards

And me...however that's on the iMac. Out of curiosity I fired up the laptop and lo and behold all is well in cranky old Windows. 

• RMweb Gold

Looking good from that image,  although I would like to see a couple more detail photos. The tall lamp irons are a nice touch (as some of their previous releases did not have any lamp irons fitted), although I don't think they have included the lower lamp iron at the bottom of the tall ones.

I also feel they need to get the number decals better as in my opinion the very visible carrier film as let down the finish on some of their models in the past too.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, David. Just checked again, and both the I3 page and the home page are working correctly. I have a dog-slow connection at present, but all is quite quickly in place.

Still doesn't work on the desktop, but the Galaxy phone has it perfect! Don't understand, never mind.

The model looks great but it is a lot out of my area of interest.

Regards

As nice as it looks there is something very wrong about the profile of the cab roof. It looks too flat in my eyes and the cab windows front and rear are too low.
Also the coal rails look the wrong shape across the back of the bunker.

Seems a shame as these are a lovely looking loco's. I was almost tempted to get one but glad i've put the money towards another SEF kit instead.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got mine today.

I hesitated between 32091 with plain roof and lined BR black or the 32030 in plain black but with clerestory roof.

32091 has the distinction of being the last surviving member of the class, tarted up in its last days to celebrate 100 years of Brighton works. Had the preservation movement started 10 years earlier, she would probably be on the Bluebell....

32030, I have a photo of her doing passenger work.

The clerestory roof won it because let's face it, there are not many locos out there with this.

I agree that this is not a loco likely to appear by mainstream manufacturers while maybe I could do better building the South Eastern Finecast kit, I would need to find time to build it (and I already have some kits sitting on the side, I see no point building up a collection).

This model is timesaver, an RTR hand built loco using good kit building standards.

More importantly, it will be something different on the layout (after all, we can all have Garrett's, E4s or Adam radials now!).

First thing is first, in terms of details, I would place this model alongside early 90s Bachmann and Mainline. Pretty good. Build wise, it is more robust than either of those.

Out of the box, it ran perfectly backwards but had a sticking point moving forwards. Now, I can tell you that my kit built locos with brass gears, need a hell of lot of running in unlike their nylon geared mass produced counterparts.

I know from experience with kits that if the worm is not perfectly centered over the gear train, this can also create a sticking point.

A positive point over this model over modern RTR mass produced models is ease of maintenance. 3 very small and well placed screws and chassis comes off. The instructions explain this perfectly telling you which screw to remove first etc.

Like a kit loco, a small screw allows you to adjust the worm. Now it ran perfectly or rather, as good as one can expect before it is fully run in.

Other points to note, the loco has wiper pickups on the 4 drivers and 4 bogie wheels. The rear pair of wheels are in a pony (unlike the prototype) with a small spring to keep them on the track.

Now while it does not have all the lamp irons as noted before, brake pipes, in fact all parts are fitted. Buffers are sprung too and tension locks are set up for close coupling. Ordinary hook couplings are also fitted but no chains or screw links.

Like most kit locos, there are no NEM sockets nor other mod cons found on mass produced RTR items (mind you even they don,t all have them) but that would be unrealistic on hand built model.

As others have noted, the cab numbers are waterslide transfers with film. This is only noticeable when reflecting light. Military modelers use these kinds of transfers a lot (while railway people tend to be rub down) and they get round the film problem by applying satin varnish first, fix the transfer and then Matt varnish.

Finally the box is very good, 1970s style, so you can pretend to your other half that this is an old model you have had for years. The loco sits in a neatly cut sort of foam/polystyrene hybrid material.

Overall I am happy with the model and look forwards to future southern productions.

Basic dimensions

Wheel base 30 ft 11, model about 124mm, so correct

Bogie wheels 3ft 6 model 14mm so correct

Coupled wheels 6ft 9, model 26mm, as close as you will get

Trailing wheels 4ft, model 14mm, 16mm would be more accurate but may affect the function of the model.

All wheels are Romfords/Markits.

I do not have a scale drawing so cannot compare the rest but will say this.

Height wise, it is as tall as Hornby's E2 tank, the top of the side tanks are the same height above the rails as the E2 too. Both models are taller than Bachmanns E4.

Edit: also of note, an I3 was not on any of my wish lists, so this was brought because it was there!

Edit 2: the model is also made in England ;-))

Coupled wheels 6ft 9, model 26mm, as close as you will get

Trailing wheels 4ft, model 14mm, 16mm would be more accurate but may affect the function of the model.

Pendant mode - only the first one had 6'9" driving wheels. The rest had 6' 71/2" drivers. So the model is about right, give or take .75mm.

I did think there was something a bit odd about the rear part of the chassis - so that probably explains things. My kitbuilt one (finally ready for painting after 12 years) needed a large amount of sideplay on the trailing axle to get it through even moderate curves. 

Archived