Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

Wonderful work, just charming especially with the consistent theme.

Again superb work, I hope that mine comes out half as good as these two, my weathering and fettling will be akin to yours.

I still want to change the chimney and add things like a spark arrester, I also noted from old footage that 32 661 had a 'hammer' or something similar fitted to the cab/bunker side circa 1962/63 - I shall probably start this work after fitting a decoder.

I would guess that the "hammer" was in fact the coal pick,hung in the single line staff holder,there isn't much room on the footplate of a Terrier,anything that can be stowed outside the cab is a bonus!

Cheers, Mark

Just thought I'd get in on the 'you show me yours' act

post-25253-0-73586000-1454024450_thumb.jpg

Couldn't wait for Dapol to bring out their Isle of Wight version so I did my own thing. No layout to run (pose) it on yet but all in good time!

For anyone interested, details of the conversion are on http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102631-isle-of-wight-terriers/page-1

• Like 7

"I was hoping, as I heard on the grapevine that someone would do a super-detail kit, that a new chimney would become available. 32661 seemed to have a lot broader chimney in reality, as far as I can tell from photographic evidence (also spark arrester fitted)...."

Quite a few Terriers, especially ex IoW were fitted with Drummond chimneys which were wider and tapered out at the top. This was the same chimney as that fitted to the B4 0-4-0 and, as far as I know, is not available from the trade.

Where can I get a B4 chimney? I'll probably try turning one down to more a similar shape for the NSWGR N67.

Where can I get a B4 chimney? I'll probably try turning one down to more a similar shape for the NSWGR N67.

I've searched all the suppliers I can think of without success. If you find one, please let me know.

Colin

ABS come up with a hit on the O Gauge Product database, but I'm aware that Adrain is poorly at the moment, so supply is likely to be even more erratic than usual, the actual listing shows as :-

Zero Zephyrs - chimneys: LSW Adams B4 Stovepipe - Catalogue ref Z.F82

Other than that I can't see anyone else.

Peter

ABS come up with a hit on the O Gauge Product database, but I'm aware that Adrain is poorly at the moment, so supply is likely to be even more erratic than usual, the actual listing shows as :-

Other than that I can't see anyone else.

Peter

you don't want the stove pipe chimney, you need the drummond chimney for the terrier

The Drummond type is cat no. Z.F84

but searching for LSWR Drummond also brings up:-

Alan Gibson Catalogue

7M695 LSWR Drummond chimney

JPL Models

LF 185 - Chimney SR T9 Drummond

Laurie Griffin does

6-54 - Drummond T14

6-57 - Adams 02 Drummond chimney

Not sure if any of those is anywhere close, or could be 'converted', as I suspect you will wait a long time for the ABS one unless you get lucky with second-hand..

Peter

The Drummond type is cat no. Z.F84

but searching for LSWR Drummond also brings up:-

Alan Gibson Catalogue

7M695 LSWR Drummond chimney

JPL Models

LF 185 - Chimney SR T9 Drummond

Laurie Griffin does

6-54 - Drummond T14

6-57 - Adams 02 Drummond chimney

Not sure if any of those is anywhere close, or could be 'converted', as I suspect you will wait a long time for the ABS one unless you get lucky with second-hand..

Peter

Not sure about the Gibson one but the T9 chimney is a no go - far too short. I've emailed Laurie Griffin and he's confirmed that none of his chimneys are suitable but that he could be tempted to do one for the Terrier in the future.

I was hoping that Dapol would release a drummond chimneyed IoW model but they've avoided the tooling cost by going for W9, the only other Island Terrier to keep its original chimney. Some Island Terriers spent time with locally cast chimneys from Wheeler and Hurst but I can't find anything that resembles them.

Keep searching......

Guest Ruler x 3

attachicon.gifW13.jpg

Couldn't wait for Dapol to bring out their Isle of Wight version so I did my own thing. No layout to run (pose) it on yet but all in good time!

For anyone interested, details of the conversion are on http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102631-isle-of-wight-terriers/page-1

he hee, yup, I saw yours on the bunker conversion thread, a very nice job of the mod you have done too, If in had,nt seen it 'worked' i would have believed it straight from Dapol 

I would guess that the "hammer" was in fact the coal pick,hung in the single line staff holder,there isn't much room on the footplate of a Terrier,anything that can be stowed outside the cab is a bonus!

Cheers, Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info, I wondered if it was something like that, but even freeze-framing the footage it was hard to tell exactly what was going on LOL!

It will be a nice detail to add though.

Hi Overner,

Just had a quick scan through your Thread.........thoughtful, skilled and inspiring work, your rendition of the Terrier, looks a lot more lifelike and prototypical than the Out of the Box model - very nice indeed!

attachicon.gifW13.jpg

For anyone interested, details of the conversion are on http://www.rmweb.co....terriers/page-1

Here's some pics of what I have done with mineattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Again, very nice, these locos seemed to get moderately filthy but with a careworn appearance which you guys seem to have captured very well.

I have very lightly weathered mine, but it needs more work, which I shall apply after super-detailing (ie when time permits).

Thanks to all for Posting.

ATVB to one and all,

CME

PS Apologies something weird happened with the 'multi-quote' cant seem to get it to format correctly

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

Lovely models guys.

The Terriers are by far my favourite locos at work to drive.

For those that are detailing models I can certainly vouch for one thing. If its not needed in the cab on the move it lives outside. Often the fire irons are on the firemans side bunker, with oil cans and lamps stashed away behind pipework in front of the spectacle plate on the drivers side. Buckets on a lamp iron and tools in a toolbox or if not available in the bucket!

If anyone wants too see a Terrier in action the KESR is worth a visit. Drop me a PM and i'm sure I can arrange to show you around our pair.

Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Peter, Adrian was at the Bristol show and looking well - he called at the EDM stand mid afternoon to buy some bits and pieces for a friend. Of course you also stopped by as did Chaz and Matt (Brian the Snail) who's work is shown above.

Good to meet you all (and any others from here who didn't get introduced!)

Mike

Peter, Adrian was at the Bristol show and looking well

Yes I did see him, but unfortunately I understand he has to go in to hospital for an op, so hope he is soon back  on the circuit.

Of course you also stopped by as did Chaz and Matt (Brian the Snail) who's work is shown above.

Good to meet you all (and any others from here who didn't get introduced!)

Mike

Likewise, it's good to put faces to names, I also caught up with a few friends but left early as I was still a bit under the weather.

The Peckett dome you sold me is a lovely thing, and will soon be polished up and fitted to the Minerva, - I fear Chaz will think I'm copying him, as I also bought some 'Susan' name-plates for it, but it is my wife's name, and she did buy it for me for Christmas.

Peter

Peter

• Like 1

I've been adding crew from Detailed Miniatures and Omen Miniatures to my Terriers and I thought some pictures might be appreciated; they are superbly painted figures. (I've no connection with either company other than as a customer).

24655597712_352f74960f_b.jpg

This chap is from Detailed Miniatures.

24146551143_bbe86dd47e_z.jpg

24146554273_7159e73998_z.jpg

'Beulah' has a crew from Omen.

24405756369_5c73771c5c_z.jpg

24405759089_5d100d4d4c_z.jpg

This is another Omen figure.

24655604002_459584d2e0_z.jpg

24747194836_1e243fa032_z.jpg

This chap is just standing there, he's going to go by the engine shed in due course. He's another from Detailed Miniatures. 

Peter

Edited by kirtleypete
  • Like 5

I am very pleased to report that my BR late crest Terrier has made it intact to South Africa. Who knows? It could be the only one in the country as O gauge is not popular here. I now have Terriers in N, OO and O.

This one has travelled from China to Wales, from Wales to Sheffield, from Sheffield to London and from London to Johannesburg. The last leg was in my daughter's back pack.

I am very impressed with the quality of the model and the level of detail in O gauge. A friend who has a shop here leant me some old Lima sectional track which I set up on the floor of our entrance hall because it was the only place that the track would fit into.

My loco runs quietly and smoothly but is destined for a diorama as O gauge is out of the question for me due to space and monetary constraints. I have bought two ModelU loco crew to add to the footplate.

The dreaded chimney gap does worry me so I will tackle it soon but it is a minor fault in the scheme of things.

All in all I'm very happy.

Regarding chimneys...

I've (so far) resisted the lure of the Dapol Terrier because I managed to find second hand one of the nice Vulcan kits for one and it seemed pointless to sell it and buy a Dapol one only to strip it down into a kit of parts for repainting when I already have a kit of parts!

The talk of chimneys made me unearth the box and see what was in the kit, seeing as Vulcan kits are now owned by ABS, thought it might help those who will be asking Adrian for a chimney to see what he does.

The kit has two, a Stroudley one (left) and a Drummond one (right), one slender and one rather chunky!

post-11098-0-66161800-1454690691_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps and good luck in your purchases.

Back to resisting the lure of having a pair of Terriers........ Resist, resist, resist....

Cheers,

Andrew

Having resisted for so long, a combination of a friend sending me a photo of his A1X converted for his light railway project and my local model shop stocking them at a reasonable price meant that I succumbed to one. Shall still build the Vulcan kit I have as an A1, now there will just be an A1X version to run alongside. But first some research....

post-11098-0-09853200-1455050217_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 4

I took my loco to show a friend. When I opened the box it looked as though it had been covered in frost. It turns out that the opaque soft plastic sheet at the bottom of the clear plastic packaging is coated with talc. Luckily it all came off with a soft brush.

I've a few locos that have similar packaging, it is the first time I've ever seen this.

• RMweb Gold

It would be nice to think Dapol or perhaps someone else might follow up the success of the Terriers with a suitable RTR coach or two (and I don't mean Heljan Mark 1s), in the same way Richard has for his own Lionheart range. Thus enhancing and hopefully expanding both sales and customer confidence. Then consideration can be given perhaps to another Southern loco or two to go with both the Terriers and the coaches, an H Class or even an O1 or C would be nice. Just a couple of days down at Horsted Keynes would help with research and scanning, then there is also the chance of sales to the Bluebell's membership and through their retail outlets perhaps too.

How about it Dapol (anyone).

Kevin

• Like 1