Pragmatic Pre-Grouping - Mikkel's Workbench

• RMweb Gold

This sounds like the sort of thing in which Charles R.Dixon might get involved.  We need the full story from Mikkel :)

I'm sure he's feverishly reading through the newspapers and periodicals of the day for all the juicy details and the full story will emerge soon enough. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

What an excellent storyline, and collectively developed too. It will have to be modelled at some point! Those part built horseboxes in my drawer have hereby been moved higher up the to-do list  :mail:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I think the SDJR and MR used Westinghouse as well?

Vacuum! Following an early flirtation with the Westinghouse brake along side the Pullman cars for the opening of the Settle and Carlisle. In 1875-79 the Midland ran extensive trials with Westinghouse and Smith's vacuum brakes. The Newark brake trials of 1875 had shown a distinct superiority in stopping distance for the air brake but improvements to the vacuum brake improved its performance but critically, it was simpler and hence cheaper to install and maintain and had fewer failures in service. I can't find the reference right now but I believe Clayton, or Johnson and Clayton together, designed the standard vacuum pipe connector that remained in use to the end of vacuum-fitted stock on British Railways.

Quite a lot of GWR NCCPS was dual-fitted (vacuum and Westinghouse), primarily Horse boxes, some of the Fruits (Y2 and Y3 in particular), some Siphons (O8 and O9, and I think a few O2/O3/O4/O5/O6). This enabled them to interwork with the LBSCR and GER, which was important for horse box traffic (Epsom, Newmarket etc).

Not sure when the Westinghouse gear started to appear on GWR NPCCS, possibly 1906 (as a wild guess!). Generally, I think it had been removed by c 1931.

In the absence of a monograph covering the GWR horseboxes, I wonder if the HMRS book on Siphons can shed some light on this. According to it, the early 4 wheeled siphons originally had hand brakes, and the automatic vacuum brake was added in the 1880's.

Presumably the later 6 wheeled siphons, from 1889 onwards, were fitted with the AVB from new, although this is not actually stated, although I can't tell whether the early O2 siphons, dating from 1879, were. In 1896 new siphons were fitted with through pipes for the Westinghouse system, and from 1897 they all appear to have been built with both AVB and Westinghouse gear. From 1903 they began to be fitted with through pipes for train heating, and between 1909 and 1917 most were fitted with either side hand brakes.

• Like 1

Meanwhile the news from Farthing Works are a bit underwhelming. The latest 4-planker is now done, and looking rather mundane despite the new floor, buffers and brake gear.

Hi Mikkel,

I don't think that you are doing yourself enough justice, they look mighty fine from where I'm sat.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mikkel,

I don't think that you are doing yourself enough justice, they look mighty fine from where I'm sat.

Thanks Rob, I'm happy with them, I was just reflecting on the fact that a lot of the most common wagons weren't really all that exciting to look at - and when you build a new one it looks pretty much like the last one  :)

• Like 3

Thanks Rob, I'm happy with them, I was just reflecting on the fact that a lot of the most common wagons weren't really all that exciting to look at - and when you build a new one it looks pretty much like the last one  :)

We all have a different perspective on things. I actually find the things like open wagons and vans exciting. It is the exotics that leave me cold. so please, keep going with the mundane - and they look lovely.

I started cutting a Ratio iron Mink up the other day to make it look more like what it is meant to be. After looking at the pile of pieces to reassemble, I might suggest to Bill Bedford that an accurate iron Mink would be good!

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We all have a different perspective on things. I actually find the things like open wagons and vans exciting. It is the exotics that leave me cold. so please, keep going with the mundane - and they look lovely.

I started cutting a Ratio iron Mink up the other day to make it look more like what it is meant to be. After looking at the pile of pieces to reassemble, I might suggest to Bill Bedford that an accurate iron Mink would be good!

Regards,

Craig W

Thanks Craig, and interesting to hear your experience with the Ratio Iron Mink. After seeing a couple of ABS ones going for a high price on ebay recently, I thought it might be the Ratio way from now on. But a Mousa Models one would be better!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oooh, very interesting. Some 4-plank wagons in there I see. No wonder the GWR developed higher sides eventually!

But wait, 1910? I don't recall seeing the rh small GWR livery so late before. And are the wagons all standard types, not sure about that.

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Northroader, a real period piece, lettering, dates and everything. I bet it ran better too, being wide. Now why didn't anyone pick up on that idea :-)

I'm trying to figure out how the coupling works, especially the short left part of the fork?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The l.h. Part doesn't do anything, it's just fixed to the underside of the wagon. I was just trying out a really silly idea, bg trains on a minimum radius, which the link allowed me to do. I don't have a bg line right now, and I'll put the couplings back to something rather more conventional when and if I get round to doing something simple later on. No, I agree with Miss Prism, loads of fodder do make a really good item on a goods train. I think mine has started to moult, though!

• Like 2

Mikkel, the only trouble with say a 9' w/b wagon on a 7' wide track is stability, they tend to 'twist' a bit as they go along.

Meanwhile, 'Fodder', I have spent a couple of hours trying to find two photo's I have of Bark being loaded at Bucknell Station on the Central Wales Line, which although LNWR, I seem to recall the wagons were GWR.   They would have been sheeted over too.

No joy, where can the photo's be ?

The Bark was collected into high ricks in the Goods Yard, prior to loading.  The bark was used in the tanning industry.

Edited by Penlan

Run out of Provender wagons? Got too much hay to shift? Got too many boring opens? Want to show off a bit more 'Swindon Improved Wagon Red'?

No problem:

attachicon.gifloadsahay.png

(Culham, c 1910)

As well as Mikkel's suspicions about the date, I'm not so sure that these wagons are red.  I feel that the pre-panchromatic film of those days would have made red look darker than these.  Of course, it may all be down to dust from the hay.

• Like 1

As well as Mikkel's suspicions about the date, I'm not so sure that these wagons are red.  I feel that the pre-panchromatic film of those days would have made red look darker than these.  Of course, it may all be down to dust from the hay.

All those things could be true, Mike. It was the motley collection of somewhat overloaded opens, characteristic of an era, that took my fancy, rather than trying to identify a particular date.

And we don't really know when the last red-liveried wagons could be seen.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

... and general wear and tear taking the shine off the paint.

• Like 1

I've lost track of the colour debate, but didn't I read somewhere that the red become grey as it aged? So if this photo is some years after the end of red wagons, but they are still in pre 1904 livery, perhaps they were quite grey by then.

• Like 2