Class 205 in Conjunction with Kernow Model Shop

Trust me to have 2 of the more expensive model's on order. I decided i wanted a NSE and Connex version, for actually no real good reason, other than, i can.

I shant jump any guns, but i must say, i am rather looking forward to this.

Sam

I am begning to think that also the £109 Units must be the first batch 2 cars and the £149 must be the later to come 3 cars? can Kernow or Bachmann confim this please?

As far as I'm aware, they're not members here, so no. But they are contactable by other means :)

Also thought I would amends my thoughts on future production on 207's it's more than front ends... But its a still a possiblity if they are up for it?

The class 207/3D units are 6" narrower than normal Mk1 stock (narrow tunnels at Tunbridge Wells), so a complete retool would be needed to do one.

The class 207/3D units are 6" narrower than normal Mk1 stock (narrow tunnels at Tunbridge Wells), so a complete retool would be needed to do one.

The 207s also had completely different internal layouts for each coach.

EDIT: Sorry: essentially I duplicated gillinghamgus' contribution. I'll go and sit in my corner now!   :rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium

With regard to the listed price for the 2H I would suggest that it has been altered for those units which are now coming in the first release and may be altered for the remainder as and when they are released. Given the time between now and then that might not be to the same price as the first batch are now at and that, in a sense, would be understandable.

While these are 2-car units and are still much more expensive than the 4CEP coach-for-coach let's focus on the fact that they still are a commissioned special so far as the first issues are concerned and with Kernow and Dapol having taken the commercial risk on board and priced the items accordingly.

That said I would find it a little ironic if Bachmann then came across with what Dapol Dave has indicated was going to be a mainstream release anyway and put out a 3H at a price comparable with their other 3-car units.

Turning to other SR demu types there is no way of using "Hampshire" tooling to do an "East Sussex" (3D or class 207) unit. They are almost completely different. Narrower overall, totally different front end profiles (rounded edges with recessed jumpers not angular with "stuck-on" pipes) and the internal layout differs entirely. A brand-new tooling would be required.

I would love to see Hastings units in the catalogue personally. Some coach types can be laser-scanned readily while others have been lost and would need to be worked up from drawings or extant conversions. There have always been some nay-sayers in the camp when it comes to releasing a six-car unit but sales of the 4CEP and the 5-car Voyager seem to suggest that, despite their limited area of operation other than on railtours, such a project would receive considerable support.

I would love to see Hastings units in the catalogue personally. Some coach types can be laser-scanned readily while others have been lost and would need to be worked up from drawings or extant conversions. There have always been some nay-sayers in the camp when it comes to releasing a six-car unit but sales of the 4CEP and the 5-car Voyager seem to suggest that, despite their limited area of operation other than on railtours, such a project would receive considerable support.

Another benefit of having a Hastings unit would be the possibility to create a tadpole unit using the 2EPB driving trailer.

Yes granted the 207 is thinner (3 inches either side), that can be seen in the Portsmouth Southsea pic, the body is as wide or thin as the sloebar, I did mention that the coaches were different internal arrangements. Yes the piping is different to a Hampshire more like a CIG or VEP. but it would be nice to see a model of these also in the future as they are just as important as the Hampshires. and often worked in each others areas. (1980's and early 90's)

Back to the topic I suppose I should order a 2H car possibly the sound version? but the NSE is really what I want.

the Bachmann motor from the 4CEP would fit nicely in the area of a 2H/3H but the windows on one side are clear are they going to hide the motor with a fake power unit and genny? or just paint it grey?

As for the talk about Hastings slims, yeah they went every where on tours and the green one has been many locations up and down the country in the last 10-15 years. worth a punt for many folk who could justify having a green Hastings visit their layout?

As much as I'd fancy a Hastings Unit, realistically you're probably looking at about £200 for the 6-car set, and then compare it to how many people run full length HST sets on their layouts, that does limit possible sales I guess.

Yes granted the 207 is thinner (3 inches either side), that can be seen in the Portsmouth Southsea pic, the body is as wide or thin as the solebar.

Reality reminder 3 inches = 1mm in 4mm scale

I did mention that the coaches were different internal arrangements. Yes the piping is different to a Hampshire more like a CIG or VEP. but it would be nice to see a model of these also in the future as they are just as important as the Hampshires. and often worked in each others areas. (1980's and early 90's)

Back to the topic I suppose I should order a 2H car possibly the sound version? but the NSE is really what I want.

the Bachmann motor from the 4CEP would fit nicely in the area of a 2H/3H but the windows on one side are clear are they going to hide the motor with a fake power unit and genny? or just paint it grey?

As for the talk about Hastings slims, yeah they went every where on tours and the green one has been many locations up and down the country in the last 10-15 years. worth a punt for many folk who could justify having a green Hastings visit their layout?

• RMweb Gold

As much as I'd fancy a Hastings Unit, realistically you're probably looking at about £200 for the 6-car set, and then compare it to how many people run full length HST sets on their layouts, that does limit possible sales I guess.

Given that I seem to remember a figure of £400 being quoted somewhere as a possible RRP for a 6 car Blue Pullman - another unit with a limited sphere of operation - £200 sounds quite reasonable. But you're right in that space is probably as much an issue as cost. I could undoubtedly come up with an excuse to spend £200 on something I could run, but not on something I could only look at.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes indeed. And there are people in here who will post till the cows come home about a single millimetre and sometimes even less and usually with good reason. if a "207" was produced with standard body profile it would look very wrong just for the sake of that millimetre. It has to be "Restriction 1" to look right and I'm not even going to begin counting the rivets :P

I could undoubtedly come up with an excuse to spend £200 on something I could run, but not on something I could only look at.

Average loco plus a DCC sound chip isn't far off £200, but people using DCC sound is still very much a minority (of which I am a part).

You're right, size is probably more an issue than cost, but I guess you never know what developments are around the corner - just go back a few years to the days of magnetic wheels to aid traction and something as simple as getting a bag of detailing parts with a loco just wasn't on the radar.

• RMweb Premium

I agree that this is good news since it means that production should be back on track. And hopefully 2011 delivery will be achieved.

But Bachmann (I presume it's them not Kernow) have done it again... Since the prices have not been reduced, it appears that the two BR Green versions with small yellow panel (K2004 and K2006) are not being produced in the first batch :( , but they are still doing two plain green versions (yes I know one has a red V but that's not a big difference) in the first batch. Bachmann made us wait for the SYP Class 108s and it seems will also do so for the SYP 2-EPBs as well. Presumably SYP is the most popular livery - Kernow were planning two different unit numbers after all. Have they got something against us or is there a shortage of yellow paint in China? And now that production is with Bachmann, will there be two different unit numbers available when SYP is produced or will they just do a longer production run of one?

Time will tell - and I have even longer to save up.

Ahh didn't Hejan achieve this when they released a 33/1 with correct roof and width and at the same time have a 33/2 with the correct slim version?

it's not impossible to do this for the 207! although its not as slim!!! instead of the coach being wider than the sole bar as it is with current MK1 coaches (tumble-down as it's known?) the 207 body just comes level with the solebar with no coach over hang! anyway I didn't flag up the 6 inches in the 12 inches to foot, somebody else did and yes the difference would be obvious but it could be modelled if Bachmann so desired.

As for 6 car Hasting yes that might be too much for some?

Ahh didn't Hejan achieve this when they released a 33/1 with correct roof and width and at the same time have a 33/2 with the correct slim version?

it's not impossible to do this for the 207! although its not as slim!!! instead of the coach being wider than the sole bar as it is with current MK1 coaches (tumble-down* as it's known?) the 207 body just comes level with the solebar with no coach over hang! anyway I didn't flag up the 6 inches in the 12 inches to foot, somebody else did and yes the difference would be obvious but it could be modelled if Bachmann so desired.

As for 6 car Hasting yes that might be too much for some?

Uh? I know you're excited, but take a breath mate :huh:

Not sure at all of the relevance of the 33 comparison - nobody's saying it's impossible. But it has been exhaustively proven I think, that the 3D/207 is so comprehensively different as to be a completely different model to the 2H/3H/205 - and yet one which to the casual buyer looks little different. I dont know about anybody else, but whilst I enjoy speculation about things that have a chance of happening, too many threads now are being given over to what is effectively a tedious wishlist of everything the SR ever ran.

* BTW the term is 'tumblehome' - Tumbledown is in the Falklands <_<

Another benefit of having a Hastings unit would be the possibility to create a tadpole unit using the 2EPB driving trailer.

Yes indeed. And there are people in here who will post till the cows come home about a single millimetre and sometimes even less and usually with good reason. if a "207" was produced with standard body profile it would look very wrong just for the sake of that millimetre. It has to be "Restriction 1" to look right and I'm not even going to begin counting the rivets tongue.gif

Having travelled to school on a Tadpole on a daily basis I can vouch that the width restiction has to be visibly different in any scale to make it realistic. If you want a Tadpole (as I do) it appears DC Kits are re-igniting their 3R kit unit.

"2010 will sadly see the demise of certain kits in our range, for details of this visit our

NEWS page. Also we will see the re-introduction of Hastings 6L & 6S, closely followed by the 3R Tadpole Unit."

• Like 1

I did pre-order the NSE version, but I think I'm going to change to the All Blue Sound Version now. I didn't realise they were repainted so late in NSE. Oh well time to dig out the plastic.

The unit will be running as a Hastings unit on my layout. I can live with the 1mm too wide, but then again I live with my track being 2.33mm too narrow.

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know when repaints from blue to blue/grey commenced, and the last one done?

Not sure but a bit of photo research on the Southern E Group / Southern Electric Group / Hants and Sussex units Pres. Soc. etc etc... might help with a rough idea at least ;)

Not sure but a bit of photo research on the Southern E Group / Southern Electric Group / Hants and Sussex units Pres. Soc. etc etc... might help with a rough idea at least ;)

I'm fairly sure the thread on the old forum covered this - with most DMUs it happened from c1978 but IIRC opinion being that the SR sets were generally a tad later

At £109 I will be looking for one, preferably a 2H with orange V. I already have a DCK 2H for working a service from Salisbury to Somercombe and I don't think it will be too long before CK finds evidence that the 2Hs worked over the S&Dwink.gif

Funny you should say that - but I've a vague recollection of seeing one on the Emergency Timetable between 3/1/66 and 6/3/66 probably on one of the trains that terminated at Blandford (late Saturday afternoon jobbie?). Thing is that it is recollection so vague that I'm not sure if it actually happened and I've seen no documentary evidence for this (or can't remember any - oh the joys of getting old!) It is a possbility but that where I suggest it remains until proof is shown and anyway it's my model railway!