Class 92, By Accurascale

Okay, my 2nd loco has arrive all safe and sound

so, what do I think? Fantastic however I do have problems.

1, light bleed through the cab front mainly noticeable on red

2, couplings falling out, the single clip isn’t manly enough to Lock them in. One on each loco was out on arrival and having refitted them, running the locos as a pair, fell out again and then the locos buffer locked pulling off a buffer head. Luckily that popped back on. Ironically it’s the same end on both locos that fall out. Definitely a weak point of the model

overall though very happy, but these issues are a concern that needs addressing 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 47606odin said:

1, light bleed through the cab front mainly noticeable on red

2, couplings falling out, the single clip isn’t manly enough to Lock them in.

Happened to one of mine, i just put a tiny bit of blutack inbetween the clips and put it back in. (Assuming you mean the clips going upwards to the spring pocket).

Edited by adb968008

8 hours ago, SRman said:

The EWS livery caught my eye when assembled alongside its cousins.  Definitely a lighter hue.  Is this like Network Rail yellow where there are 'natural' shade variations?  (Genuine question)

The EWS repaints done in the UK used a brighter shade of maroon than the 66s built and painted in the USA. This link from Flickr highlights the difference.

Amington (Fog Cottages)

Then when you add fading and weathering to the mix...

Of the 3 locos you've lined up, to my eyes the 90 is closest, but slap some dirt on and they'll all be OK I reckon. 

Jo

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

5 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Well, it’s a happy Christmas in Western Australia (even if 003 is still MIA, they got posted at the same time etc right up until Auspost got them) safe and sound in perfect condition……just need the opportunity to test it now

6C383223-591B-42A8-868A-E8B50518DF9D.jpeg.f76ec464f695f89f3151e22e4650d7fa.jpeg

Mine's just waiting for delivery - suitably disguised. Parcel size should be OK but weight might be an issue!

3666057159596.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

So I finally had my 92 out on the rolling road. It's truly fantastic. I honestly had no idea what to expect from sound on an electric loco but it's exceptional and plenty loud enough. I really enjoy how the cab light is set up to go off when moving as well. The running appears very smooth as well at all speed steps. The Accurascale chaps deserve all the praise for what is surely the best AC loco ever produced. Not bad for your first time out!

My final list of constructive comments (safe to assume all other areas are 100% perfect):

1. Paint finish. As I previously mentioned for me it's too matt. It's absolutely spot on for wagons but for locos, not least the 92 in Caledonian Sleeper it is glossy to the point of seeing reflections in photos even after a fair few miles . That being said I would expect the matt finish to take weathering better than a gloss finish but these were largely kept in reasonable condition.
  2. The polo mints. Yeah I banged on about them before a couple of times but if these can be made from metal e.g. cnc / cast then this would be an improvement. Granted it would probably add a good £20+ to each minted model...
  3. Pantographs. The motor is still somewhat loud and detracts a bit from the sound experience. The mechanism is great and you should be applauded but if this can be improved it should be.
  4. Pantographs. The head would be better if through some linkage/gearing it could be made parallel both in raised and lowered positions. I realise this is a huge ask at this scale.
  5. Visible circuit board. The board should be moved from behind the grills and cab window / painted black. The painting of the board is easily rectified by modelers thankfully.

I should note that the above would set an extremely high bar well ahead of any other manufacturer to date and many would probably increase £££ but you guys keep pulling off the previously impossible, so I think you need some stretch targets 😂

Also yes - that is it. On a remarkably complex model that is probably the fewest comments I think I've ever had, not least since two of them relate to the pantographs. Well done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, SRman said:

Where there is only one pantograph, there is no choice (obviously), but my observations where there is choice suggests that British operators seem to prefer the pantograph "elbow" leading, although that's not a hard and fast rule. I was interested when observing Danish and Swedish practice, where they seem to prefer the "elbow" trailing, as in your photos of the 92s above.

Thinking laterally, is there any requirement for both pantographs to be operational?  Whilst ideal to have both units operative, just wondering if some ocasions where anomalies occur (ie use front) whether this could be the reason. 

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

I believe the change in Pantograph usage on the Pendolinos was a change in policy by Virgin (and carried on by Avanti).

So I suspect that the choice of Pan is down to the FOC policy and is also dependent on if stuff is running in multiple (I would assume that 92s running in multiple, rare I know, would use the ‘outer’ pans to keep the pan separation as high as possible).

Anyway, any word on retailers stock of the ‘standard’ models, is it just in the hands if the delivery guys and girls now?

Simon

Hi Simon,

Stock has started arriving with retailers and should be all landed with them by tomorrow. 020 and 043 will follow on later as they only landed with us this morning.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Simon,

Stock has started arriving with retailers and should be all landed with them by tomorrow. 020 and 043 will follow on later as they only landed with us this morning.

Cheers!

Fran 

Hi Fran,

so is 92010 there now or is customs still running them in on their layout for you??

Edited by ERIC ALLTORQUE
illiterate

1 hour ago, E100 said:

So I finally had my 92 out on the rolling road. It's truly fantastic. I honestly had no idea what to expect from sound on an electric loco but it's exceptional and plenty loud enough. I really enjoy how the cab light is set up to go off when moving as well. The running appears very smooth as well at all speed steps. The Accurascale chaps deserve all the praise for what is surely the best AC loco ever produced. Not bad for your first time out!

My final list of constructive comments (safe to assume all other areas are 100% perfect):

1. Paint finish. As I previously mentioned for me it's too matt. It's absolutely spot on for wagons but for locos, not least the 92 in Caledonian Sleeper it is glossy to the point of seeing reflections in photos even after a fair few miles . That being said I would expect the matt finish to take weathering better than a gloss finish but these were largely kept in reasonable condition.
  2. The polo mints. Yeah I banged on about them before a couple of times but if these can be made from metal e.g. cnc / cast then this would be an improvement. Granted it would probably add a good £20+ to each minted model...
  3. Pantographs. The motor is still somewhat loud and detracts a bit from the sound experience. The mechanism is great and you should be applauded but if this can be improved it should be.
  4. Pantographs. The head would be better if through some linkage/gearing it could be made parallel both in raised and lowered positions. I realise this is a huge ask at this scale.
  5. Visible circuit board. The board should be moved from behind the grills and cab window / painted black. The painting of the board is easily rectified by modelers thankfully.

I should note that the above would set an extremely high bar well ahead of any other manufacturer to date and many would probably increase £££ but you guys keep pulling off the previously impossible, so I think you need some stretch targets 😂

Also yes - that is it. On a remarkably complex model that is probably the fewest comments I think I've ever had, not least since two of them relate to the pantographs. Well done!

To be fair, only saw an RFD but would offer the following comments on yours.   

1).Gloss does not usually scale down very well, and also needs to work with the coaches.  Plus Look out of place with other models. 

2)Polo mints  - wonder if this was a licensing issue? I know in the early days it was.  To tool bodies with and without polo mints is a large cost.

3)Motor noise cannot really comment, as not seen it, but isn't it more like a servo.  But supposedly quiter than a Bachmann, plus with the rest of the Class 92 package, speakers, motor etc., maybe its the best that is available that fits, is reliable, works with amount of current available for ancillaries in chip, reasonable cost (went from £169,99 to £189.99)etc..  There is much more to it..... 

4),Pan head, my thoughts on that earlier in the thread.  I have a preferance for metal. 

5).Circuit board - not really noticed it much.  As mentioned lots in the loco, and like you say an easy simple one for the modeller.  Think it's best left to personal taste.  Circuit boards are bought in, perhaps the manufacturer does not offer it - never seen it before, would add cost and if assembly plant did it would void warranty and query when components get warm. 

As you say a great model.  I think sometimes we need look at where the industry has come from and where we are now.   Whilst no doubt many things will keep getting better, we also need to consider the fact that in order to improve, companies like Accurascale need to produce models to fund them.  The Class 92 was already delayed due to Covid, perfecting the innovations and generally getting the damn thing right.  That is a huge cost to bare, nevermind the lack of planned income to a business - with Cash Flow being the blood that runs through any business.  Look what happened to another version that never happened...... That is the harsh reality of model railways....... 

To conclude - Hats off to any business that has the dedication, enthusiasm, integrity to produce its promise without compromise and the financial clout to pull off such a venture (even at a show keeping Fran in boxes of cake bites is a huge financial undertaking, and he never offers any to customers!). 

Hopefully, and rightfully it will be rewarded. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

As we explained during the development process we couldn’t etch the polos convincingly due to their design. Moulding them is the only way to capture their 3D nature with finesse.

Cheers! 

Fran

Hi All, Good Morning,

Here seems to be as good a place as any to ask, whilst sitting waiting for a delivery of these myself....

Could somebody please explain to me the design of these polo mints on the bodysides? I just don't 'get' it and never have.....

There is ONE channel tunnel, so why three circles?

I expect you'll say there are two large running tunnels and the small 'service' tunnel?

Okay then, so why are the three parts of the logo laid out as they are? Shouldn't the smaller service tunnel be in the middle, between the two larger 'running' tunnels?

I, who know nothing, obviously.....

Many Thanks,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Shedmaster said:

Could somebody please explain to me the design of these polo mints on the bodysides?

It's representative of a single bore tunnel going into the distance - a Father Ted thing. 

This image shows the detail within the design and why an etch wouldn't work - you'd have to form it from 3 layers.

FWQaqn4WIAAkYNP?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Simon,

Cheers!

Fran 

Thanks Fran, that’s great, really looking forward to them!

Simon

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

2)Polo mints  - wonder if this was a licensing issue? I know in the early days it was.  To tool bodies with and without polo mints is a large cost.

Not only did we, we tooled three bodies, for 'normal' position mints, lower position, and none, so, as with everything we do, the prototype can be represented as accurately as possible. 

image (5).png

image (4).png

image (3).png

Edited by McC
  • Like 15

92032 arrived yesterday evening.Spent the rest of the day drooling over it!  92001,003,022 should be delivered by DHL this afternoon,leaving just 92020 to come from Accurascale and 92015 from Rails .Since 92020 only arrived in warehouse today I think it would pushing it a bit to get it here before Christmas.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

5).Circuit board - not really noticed it much.  As mentioned lots in the loco, and like you say an easy simple one for the modeller.  Think it's best left to personal taste.  Circuit boards are bought in, perhaps the manufacturer does not offer it - never seen it before, would add cost and if assembly plant did it would void warranty and query when components get warm.

Ive found a nice simple fix for this. Take the body off and run a black sharpie along the brown edge of the PCB. The PCB then just disappears into the background. The image below has been taken under bright lights just to show how much better this looks. Nothing like a quick an easy fix! (edit: I see other people have already suggested painting it. Sorry didn't read close enough!)

Only real niggle I have with mine is the little paint gremlin you can see above the right hand grill on the separately fitted roof part. Going to just call it character since its barely noticeable without looking for it.

IMG_3742.jpeg.cef2df247f23231e88a55dc61aa8057d.jpeg

The PCB is definitely one to look at Accurascale in future runs. I accept royalties for the Sharpie idea in the form of sleeper coaches for 92010 (jokes of course) 😛

Edited by Br60066
Clarificaiton
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

50 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

As we explained during the development process we couldn’t etch the polos convincingly due to their design. Moulding them is the only way to capture their 3D nature with finesse.

Cheers! 

Fran

Other positive outcome, no one can acquire them. Gotta watch them 3D printed blokes, sure one of them measuring sticks is actually a crowbar at one end and screwdriver the other.  They have not just been working on automatic couplings you know. 

Allegedly the polo mints recycle and make great Guinness beer mats in 3 sizes - Pitcher, Pint, Half.....

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Just to confirm that 92010, 92020 and 92043 have now arrived and we're packing them up. Obviously we will do our level best to get as many out as we can before Christmas but there are several hundred orders to get through. Dispatch will begin this afternoon.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Just to confirm that 92010, 92020 and 92043 have now arrived and we're packing them up. Obviously we will do our level best to get as many out as we can before Christmas but there are several hundred orders to get through. Dispatch will begin this afternoon.

Cheers!

Fran 

Is 020 also going out to retailers today? Wondering if they will have them this side of Christmas?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

Is 020 also going out to retailers today? Wondering if they will have them this side of Christmas?

All are. DHL have proven excellent so far timing wise. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 3