All-new Heljan 47 in 00 gauge

Ouroborus

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Oooo McC……you agreed?  Hmmmmmmm 😁

Don’t get me excited, and the bank manager worried. McC liked, not agreed. Not sure my bank account could cope with an Accurascale 47. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Don’t get me excited, and the bank manager worried. McC liked, not agreed. Not sure my bank account could cope with an Accurascale 47. 

Roy

I am taking the “like” as a term of contract that they will produce a Class 47 before Christmas 2022…..it’s obvious 🤣

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

6 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Oooo McC……you agreed?  Hmmmmmmm 😁

Are McC (Accurascale) and Phil Mc (the person who thought adb968008's post was "funny") the same person?  

Best wishes

Roddy

• Funny 2

I'll have room for both the Heljan and Bachmann versions, and would find room for an Accurascale selection should they find room in the market for their take on a model (but only after the NIR 80 Class and NIR Hunslet 101 Class have come to market.  Accurascale, note I've now upped the ransom demand). 

Like 86s, you can never have too many Heinz 47s.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Roddy Angus said:

Are McC (Accurascale) and Phil Mc (the person who thought adb968008's post was "funny") the same person?  

Best wishes

Roddy

Well “Mc” is Irish……

(as opposed to the Scottish “Mac” version)

cheers,

Phil.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Roddy Angus said:

Best wishes

Roddy

Just to explain, 47555 was an early example in Intercity livery, fresh from overhaul in 1988, at a time others were started being scrapped,  a Crewe favourite and a royal train favourite. As a result it stood out, was probably in better mechanical nick and so heavily used.. resulting in many cameras capturing it, and spotter logs too during the next 7 years.

Its fair to say as a CD 47 it got everywhere, no more than some of the others but its reputation set as by 1993 it got its own unique version of debranded intercity and so attracted cameras again, before going into RfD europe livery in 1995 with blue roof, again a stand out.

CD covered a wide area for ETH 47’s, In a typical North West day out, its easy for CD 47’s to find themselves covering say Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, Blackpool, Preston, Holyhead but also Portsmouth, Brighton or Folkestone, Scarborough and Newcastle, thats before being “borrowed”.

That lead to stories of 47555 being seen in multiple places at the same time and the myth of plurality today… not least helped by a cab being preserved in Wales visible from the mainline, whilst WCRC renumbered 47768 as 47555 and is still visible in their sidings at the moment.

Why 47555 caught it and not another, probably the length of the nameplate and its oversized  47 ‘555’ numbers you knew it by sight, though 47595 had a similar cult.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Just to explain, 47555 was an early example in Intercity livery, fresh from overhaul in 1988, at a time others were started being scrapped,  a Crewe favourite and a royal train favourite. As a result it stood out, was probably in better mechanical nick and so heavily used.. resulting in many cameras capturing it, and spotter logs too during the next 7 years.

Its fair to say as a CD 47 it got everywhere, no more than some of the others but its reputation set as by 1993 it got its own unique version of debranded intercity and so attracted cameras again, before going into RfD europe livery in 1995 with blue roof, again a stand out.

CD covered a wide area for ETH 47’s, In a typical North West day out, its easy for CD 47’s to find themselves covering say Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, Blackpool, Preston, Holyhead but also Portsmouth, Brighton or Folkestone, Scarborough and Newcastle, thats before being “borrowed”.

That lead to stories of 47555 being seen in multiple places at the same time and the myth of plurality today… not least helped by a cab being preserved in Wales visible from the mainline, whilst WCRC renumbered 47768 as 47555 and is still visible in their sidings at the moment.

Why 47555 caught it and not another, probably the length of the nameplate and its oversized  47 ‘555’ numbers you knew it by sight, though 47595 had a similar cult.

47555 got its reputation for being everywhere, or that there were two of them, from its naming in BR blue days. Despite never having long range tanks it was able to get from the South West to Northern England in a day or two, so as you say probably very reliable and so worked long distance Cross Country services throughout on a regular basis.

• Agree 1

• 6 months later...
28 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Another one we’ve not heard much on… Heljan 47 looks like it’s been on a diet… slimmed down quite well.

those cab front steps are part of the body too

834F3D1F-D4A9-4268-A049-3FCEF4D6CF5B.jpeg

303F89B3-84CC-40D4-A23F-1345966124AC.jpeg

A0B34401-DFF5-4765-9069-D2EB7C446E40.jpeg

68020DC7-F5DB-4AF9-B2D2-93C63F72C220.jpeg

Thanks for posting these, I have a feeling Bachmann won't be too worried about this model.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

Appreciate they probably aren’t the finished model, but the first thing that struck me was; what’s going on with the door window? Shouldn’t it be the same depth as the pull down cab window?!?

I was hoping these might be a winner, as there were some liveries that interested me, but for the alleged price and what we have seen here, I’ll give it a miss as it stands!

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, IRC said:

Appreciate they probably aren’t the finished model, but the first thing that struck me was; what’s going on with the door window? Shouldn’t it be the same depth as the pull down cab window?!?

I was hoping these might be a winner, as there were some liveries that interested me, but for the alleged price and what we have seen here, I’ll give it a miss as it stands!

Scrap that, I think I’ve answered my own question!

Something still looks off about them though.

3 hours ago, stovepipe said:

D1960 in the early style BFYE - who's that being made for? It's hasn't been announced AFAIK?

To be really pernickety accurate, it's Brush Early Blue FYE, with the double arrows on the cabsides, rather than inboard of the cab doors.

And it's been announced for people like me!* 😉

* like me as in modelling 1968, but unlike me in that I've already created one (D1958) from a modified Bachmann 47148.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

To be really pernickety accurate, it's Brush Early Blue FYE, with the double arrows on the cabsides, rather than inboard of the cab doors.

And it's been announced for people like me!* 😉

* like me as in modelling 1968, but unlike me in that I've already created one (D1958) from a modified Bachmann 47148.

Yes and me! 

But is it a commission? And if so, where do we get it?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GD said:

Thanks for posting these, I have a feeling Bachmann won't be too worried about this model.

Indeed. While 'if you've got nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all' is generally a principle I try and abide by, that Blue FYE model really shows up how 'off' the proportions are on the front end. The broadside view doesn't look quite right either. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Mophead45143 said:

The broadside view doesn't look quite right either. 

D1960 has too much yellow wrapping around onto the cabsides - the 'radiused' corner of the yellow should align with the leading corner of the cab window quarterlight, so the vertical blue/yellow interface needs pushing out towards the front corners. I hope Heljan adjusts this because it applies to all GFYE and standard BFYE liveries (with the usual handful of exceptions no doubt).

D1960/1 were also fitted with ETH equipment from new, almost certainly the first to have it attached to the cab front above the bufferbeam cowl.

D1960 was renumbered 47514 in this livery (as was D1956/47260), in case this is of interest to 1974/5 era modellers!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Another one we’ve not heard much on… Heljan 47 looks like it’s been on a diet… slimmed down quite well.

Love the D1960 - is this a TMC or other retailer one. Definitely of great interest 😀

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Thanks for posting this up, its set to save me a chunk of money. I'm not going to bemoan the price because it is what it is, and until I saw the above images I was happy to pay the price. I guess I'm going to refresh the tired running gear on my old high mileage 47436 instead of putting it out to pasture.

10 minutes ago, owentherail said:

No ETH jumper on 450..... but seriously the body looks very 'deep' is only way I can explain. Long way from cantrail to bottom of body look to it. 

There is a lot which just doesn't seem right. I don't think 'cabinet glazing' can be put forward as a reason for any of it looking off, because issues with the shape of the 7mm model are well established so its not really a surprise they are apparent here. I do realise that 450 is most likely a generic EP hand painted up, so loco specific details like the incorrect marker lights for the end shown and missing sliver of yellow paint above the cab windows are subject to change, and I'd assume the ETH will be provided in the bits bag. But, your assessment of the body looking too deep rings true...or are the cab windows too high? The engine room windows are too low in relation to the cab windows, so either the engine room or the cab windows are out. This will show up abundantly on Green, freight sector, parcels and Dutch liveries. The cabside looks questionable, but I can't put my finger on it; its not one thing but a combination which includes the step in the nose. Not only that, the buffer beam cowls look far too narrow and shallow in the head on shots.

I really wanted to like this model as 450 is perfect for me copping it repeatedly at Bescot, Saltley and Mordor as well as weekend diversions past our house back in the 80s.

• Informative/Useful 1