Graham Farish Spring 2022 Announcements

AY Mod

3 minutes ago, bluedepot said:

yes i agree really as the dim shunting lights on an 08 are not going to be very visible in n gauge, but i just thought if they were updating the pcb and chassis they might have put lights in at the same time (incl. cab light). 

cheers

tim

They barely got a decoder in the 03/04, they've done a good job to get a N18 socket and speaker into the slightly bigger 08.  I imagine putting in a set of lights on a loco that has a solid metal body in the little space left is probably a step too far without a complete re-tool of the body.  I'm sort of interested to know if the body has had to be changed internally in any way or if I can body swap my current 08 body onto this new loco - not that it really matters.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Brian-1c said:

Indeed, the non sound versions have no decoder of any kind fitted.

I will be ordering a green one, sound fitted of course. Looking at the internal views of the chassis, there is plenty of space for a keep alive to be fitted too.  That will be a must have on such a tiny loco.

I agree, where did you see an image of the chassis?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, John M Upton said:

No vanilla non sound version of the Blue 08?  Have no interest in the DCC gubbins.

There is still this version not yet released from a previous announcement - unless it has been quietly withdrawn from the catalogue. 

(Usual disclaimer, no connection with the shop behind the link)

es grüßt

pc 

https://railsofsheffield.com/collections/n-gauge-diesel-locomotives/products/graham-farish-371-015d-class-08-08818-br-blue-weathered

A bit odd that the NR yellow and RSS 08s have ladders.

Suppose being low numbers 417 441 they have the wooden doors and use a different tooling to the RES livery model.

Been wanting a RES and Red Star version for years so very pleased.

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, woodenhead said:

They barely got a decoder in the 03/04, they've done a good job to get a N18 socket and speaker into the slightly bigger 08. 

I didn’t realise they had already released DCC ready 03/04’s, or are these some of those ‘coming soon’ models? Although it would be a tight squeeze I think using the newer smaller coreless an 03/04 with sound would be possible, just. Small pack tantalum stay-alives are I agree a required default standard in these size/type of locos, or rather they should be.

Bob

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Padishar Creel said:

There is still this version not yet released from a previous announcement - unless it has been quietly withdrawn from the catalogue. 

es grüßt

pc 

https://railsofsheffield.com/collections/n-gauge-diesel-locomotives/products/graham-farish-371-015d-class-08-08818-br-blue-weathered

In the video the, as yet, unreleased versions were mentioned and will, apparently, still be delivered, but with the new chassis as in this announcement.

Edited by Brian-1c
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I didn’t realise they had already released DCC ready 03/04’s, or are these some of those ‘coming soon’ models? Although it would be a tight squeeze I think using the newer smaller coreless an 03/04 with sound would be possible, just. Small pack tantalum stay-alives are I agree a required default standard in these size/type of locos, or rather they should be.

Bob

They should be here now, but will be arriving soonish.  They use the very small Bachmann v6 Pin Micro Decoder (36-571), which I believe is a Zimo MX616N

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/02/2022 at 10:05, woodenhead said:

They should be here now, but will be arriving soonish.  They use the very small Bachmann v6 Pin Micro Decoder (36-571), which I believe is a Zimo MX616N

Thanks, I somehow missed that. Going by my experiences with them, fitting decoders + stay-alives, I did sort of wonder how they could do it with plug-in decoders. The width inside the 03/04 is just over 8mm. I used CT's which of course are unparalleled in the size stakes but no longer easily obtained. I had to stick the home brew tantalum pack in the floor of the cab, below window height. This is a 2FS chassis conversion using a Farish body. I've done the same with standard chassis 03/04's.

1838869695_RMweb0406-Copy.jpg.2cef3ab1749f7a27c2a0b9ceb4e05c0f.jpg

1706516691_RMweb0407-Copy.jpg.fba1d5880719a3d43f6369c56bac19df.jpg

592795368_RMweb0408.jpg.41c45cbedb58d105d76dfe6f9ba3a1e0.jpg

I'm not sure there are any Sound decoders narrow enough to fit widthways, the Zimo MX649 is 9mm so would have to be turned at an angle  - if there is the headroom above the motor - N18's are 9.5mm. So possible perhaps with hard wired installation but not with socket types which a RTR would have to use. There is soooo much more room in an 08.........ahem...!

Bob

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Finally an 08 with DCC! Unfortunately I now have doubts about how they will get on with my diamond crossings. My 0-6-0 isn't long enough and has a tendency to stall :(

Edited by AndrueC

Having put sound in an 08, I ended up permanently coupling a runner wagon with pickups in the form of a shunter's truck, two tiny decoder size wires the front of the loco to the said wagon with suitable weight has given a decent pickup footprint and pretty much eliminated stalling on any pointwork I point it at. 

Roy

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

It will be interesting to see how the 08 compares to the NGS Hunslet in terms of running and also if there is enough room to squeeze in some stay alive around the new mechanism. The space I used for stay alive on my 08 is now full of speaker, but it looks like there might be a bit more room around the gear tower versus the old version. 

15 hours ago, Padishar Creel said:

es grüßt

pc 

I think there was a bit of confusion around the green and blue models, but basically the previously announced blue/green models are still being produced but will now benefit from the new chassis and will be offered in both DCC ready and DCC sound fitted versions, the latter being the new models in this round of announcements. 

Tom.

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, TomE said:

I think there was a bit of confusion around the green and blue models, but basically the previously announced blue/green models are still being produced but will now benefit from the new chassis and will be offered in both DCC ready and DCC sound fitted versions, the latter being the new models in this round of announcements. 

Which I find surprising as the video seemed to explain it well enough to me and the Bachmann website gives pretty clear details about the model and it’s spec.

Edited by romley midland
Quote reinstated after being deleted in error
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, alan24 said:

A bit odd that the NR yellow and RSS 08s have ladders.

Suppose being low numbers 417 441 they have the wooden doors and use a different tooling to the RES livery model.

Been wanting a RES and Red Star version for years so very pleased.

Unfortunately that's a shortcoming of how the Farish 08 is designed. All models have the four lights on each end when really most would be better with just the lower two, and if you want wooden cab doors you also get ladders and no compressor box on the right hand side. Steel cab doors comes with the extra compressor box and no ladders.

Jo

As a dc dinosaur, and steam to diesel transition modeler have to say that I am seriously underwhelmed with a total lack of new tooling on the steam side. I hoped that after the 8F we would perhaps get an update of the 61xx prairie, king, crab or V2 but they seem to be going all out for the dcc camp. i can only hope that the next announcement in 3 months time will be more exciting. Where are the Thompson coaches in maroon?

Disgruntled  

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Us ''DC dinosaurs'' are just being realistic with our finances.  OK, I appreciate the advantages of DCC ,but with an established layout and quite a few locos, changing systems is not an option for me.  I simply can't justify DCC prices when there's a perfectly good DC choice available. I'd like to add the Classes 25/3, 45 and 46 to Hailstone's list of ''musts'' for Bachmann to go for and live in hope that they study this forum.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Hailstone said:

As a dc dinosaur, and steam to diesel transition modeler have to say that I am seriously underwhelmed with a total lack of new tooling on the steam side.

Yep. Unfortunately there was a lack of any new tooling models announced this time for any era, not just steam, AFAIC determine - just an upgrade of a chassis for an existing model, some reruns of wagons (the EFE ones of ex-DJM tooling) and with the 'new' class 769 BiMU appearing to be taking advantage of the class 319 tooling. At least the next announcement is only three months away.

18 minutes ago, Crepello said:

Us ''DC dinosaurs'' are just being realistic with our finances.  OK, I appreciate the advantages of DCC ,but with an established layout and quite a few locos, changing systems is not an option for me.  I simply can't justify DCC prices when there's a perfectly good DC choice available. I'd like to add the Classes 25/3, 45 and 46 to Hailstone's list of ''musts'' for Bachmann to go for and live in hope that they study this forum.

Just as I was sure of an 08 with sound (and now delivered) I am sure there will be another set of Peaks, don't forget the 44 (true Peak) in that list.

The 25/3, 44/45/46 will be in their plans, I suspect with all the noise over at Accurascale with the Deltics coming I do wonder if we might see something Deltic shaped with beefy speakers in N announced within the next 6 months - not one for me though.

Given there were 08s already awaiting when the latest announcement was made, is it possible that other new arrivals listed are also going through upgrades in the background and when they arrive they too might be Next18 with speakers - so a 24, 37, 47 and a 42 for example - great though perhaps I should consider upgrading my existing locos rather than a wholesale replacement.

Clearly it is cheaper to upgrade the existing chassis that go through whole design and build on locomotives, perhaps that is why there is a lack of new steam at present, though getting a chip into the 03 has demonstrated they can now do very small DCC ready tank engines and the 08 with sound proves medium size DCC ready tank engines can have sound too RTR.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Just as I was sure of an 08 with sound (and now delivered) I am sure there will be another set of Peaks, don't forget the 44 (true Peak) in that list.

The 25/3, 44/45/46 will be in their plans, I suspect with all the noise over at Accurascale with the Deltics coming I do wonder if we might see something Deltic shaped with beefy speakers in N announced within the next 6 months - not one for me though.

Given there were 08s already awaiting when the latest announcement was made, is it possible that other new arrivals listed are also going through upgrades in the background and when they arrive they too might be Next18 with speakers - so a 24, 37, 47 and a 42 for example - great though perhaps I should consider upgrading my existing locos rather than a wholesale replacement.

Clearly it is cheaper to upgrade the existing chassis that go through whole design and build on locomotives, perhaps that is why there is a lack of new steam at present, though getting a chip into the 03 has demonstrated they can now do very small DCC ready tank engines and the 08 with sound proves medium size DCC ready tank engines can have sound too RTR.

Agree, Peak aside there doesn't appear to be anywhere left to go on diesels that seems compatible with the Farish business model. Steam, electrics, units being a different debate of course

All the sound models with the exception of the more obscure 31 liveries seem to have sold through so their focus is understandable, sound models aren't hanging around in their warehouse

The hope is that the sound upgrades also bring with them some new body shells such as the 25 without end doors, missing 37 variants etc. If they can add sound to the 08 they can do it with any diesel, 03/04 aside and maybe a question mark on the 20.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a sound 66, they seem to be typically slower of the mark on the new liveries than Dapol (my impression that may not be backed up by fact) and sound might tip the balance of 66 sales their way?

Whether we welcome that depends I suppose on our view of sound. I wasn't bothered but my 31 got me hooked. If  I'm correct on their strategy and we see a steady flow of sound upgrades I agree it presents a dilemma regarding my existing collection

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Sorry about forgetting the 44; I've slapped my wrist.  Now a Deltic with beefy speakers might just get me wobbling towards DCC! But how would I conceal it from SWMBO?