Purple Bulleid anyone?

PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium
On 10/02/2022 at 13:09, sir douglas said:

i can already see the purists and rivet counters foaming and shaking with rage

On 10/02/2022 at 13:58, wombatofludham said:

Brilliant, I love anything that causes the more anally retentive fans to have a meltdown.  Perhaps the SVR could commission a Platinum Jubilee set of spanners to allow the more obsessive the chance to loosen the big nut up their bottom holding it in place.

The thing is, one it's been done it is an authentic livery - like Jinties 16410 and 16440 in crimson lake, to pick just one (or is it two) of many examples. Definitely one for a Hornby collaborative livery.

On 10/02/2022 at 14:01, Steamport Southport said:

I remember the 3717 fuss. My feeling was why waste a good livery on that thing. :prankster:

Sorry, can't find the copyright but it's from this forum.

It's one I've posted more than once (and couldn't trace copyright) - to demonstrate that any locomotive looks good in LNWR livery, rather than debasing it.

6 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Painting locos unusual colours for Royal Jubilees has a long history, the LNWR having decked-out a trio in red, white, and blue respectively In 1897 IIRC.

With  the big nut up my bottom done up nice and tight, I have to pont out that there were only two - Queen Empress in white (reportedly cream with the effect of varnish) and Greater Britain in scarlet. It is speculated that it was deemed the Caledonian provided sufficient blue.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

There are some saying they are ripping up their membership cards or wont volunteer due to its non authentic livery. Note they should really have stopped ages ago as some of the 50s carry liveries they would never have got. Ho hum, it takes all sorts.

Anyone would have thought a paint scheme was permanent and irreversible.  It's not as if they're converting Taw Valley to a wood-fired electric generator or something.  More power to the SVR elbow; I hope they get lots of valuable publicity and thousands of normal punters - you know the ones who come along and pay to travel, instead of standing by the lineside - come along to see the loco and ride behind it.  Then it can go back to BR Green again and look like identical to the all other rebuilt Bullied Pacifics.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

The rendered image does look vile, however the real loco may look much better in the end so I shall reserve judgment and approach it with an open mind. 

I wonder which manufacturer will be the first to copy it? 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 10/02/2022 at 12:28, PaulRhB said:

Good luck to them if they do, I won't be falling for it....

Just another dodgy Jubilee souvenir for the great unwashed who think nobody else makes model trains, and the kind of thing Hornby has form for making far too many of.....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

There are some saying they are ripping up their membership cards or wont volunteer due to its non authentic livery. Note they should really have stopped ages ago as some of the 50s carry liveries they would never have got. Ho hum, it takes all sorts.

If the loco carries it, then it is an authentic livery.....

Are these purists saying that any livery carried after (say) 1965 is inauthentic and not permissible.

• Agree 3

It is just a coat of paint which will serve to keep the rust down until it is redone. Nothing worth getting excited about.

In fact I would suggest those that don't like it just ignore it, as the less notice it gets the less likely someone else is to spend their money doing something similar in the future.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

The paintwork on TV is fairly worn, having a repaint has not only brought bucket loads of publicity, but also means it will be in a better condition. As it will be repainted back into BR green later this year it means at the end of its ticket in about 3 years it will have paint which will help to protect it till its next overhaul.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

10 hours ago, ikcdab said:

If the loco carries it, then it is an authentic livery.....

Are these purists saying that any livery carried after (say) 1965 is inauthentic and not permissible.

Phil said, when i was up there last,* if 'they' owned it (D9551), 

'they' could paint it any colour they like, until then, while it's mine!

*8 of us went up and drove TV as a club event, Phil's one of our members

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 11/02/2022 at 07:23, roundhouse said:

I wonder what the most requested temporary name will be, Steamy Mc Steamface??:D

48 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Or maybe Queenie McQueenface? :lol:

I was going to suggest King Charles III, but didn't think it would go down well.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Hroth said:

According to todays BBC weekly quiz, originally called Poulet Reine Elizabeth, though that doesn't make things any better...

:scared:

I'm a bit on the fence with this. I like the sauce and the Chicken but don't like the Sultanas (or other fruity stuff) it usually has in it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Good luck to them if they do, I won't be falling for it....

Just another dodgy Jubilee souvenir for the great unwashed who think nobody else makes model trains, and the kind of thing Hornby has form for making far too many of.....

John

Dunno why you're getting at Hornby - Peco have serious form when it comes to this sort of thing (in case you're wondering, Harry got a maroon tanker).

• Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1