Peterborough North

great northern

20 hours ago, great northern said:

We have the obligatory shot of a B17 posing at Platform 6.

1150645511_1016192.JPG.6084c956ed220a27b842d2ed77cce1dd.JPG

and the early morning Grimsby local comes in to Platform 2. It seems that all of Immingham's many B1s are employed elsewhere, so a borrowed Director gets the job.

1009401456_112666.JPG.64b47c6467ad613387760241ecd742f1.JPG

I guess it must be 8.30 ish , the Director having taken the best part of three hours , to cover the 78 miles from Grimsby. The spotters are out early this Saturday morning. Good to see at least one of them seems to be sensibly wearing his school Macintosh with the belt done up, socks pulled up  to the knees and wearing his school cap.You couldn’t trust the British Summer in the pre-global warming days of 1958 !

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, jazzer said:

I guess it must be 8.30 ish , the Director having taken the best part of three hours , to cover the 78 miles from Grimsby. The spotters are out early this Saturday morning. Good to see at least one of them seems to be sensibly wearing his school Macintosh with the belt done up, socks pulled up  to the knees and wearing his school cap.You couldn’t trust the British Summer in the pre-global warming days of 1958 !

8.42, if it is on time. The spotters do seem to spend a lot of time at the station don't they? They'll still be there at 8.42 pm, I bet.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No replies to my query about relative lengths of Gresley and Thompson Pacifics, so I'll explain why it matters. I put a Thompson in one of the new Peco loco lifts. They have end pieces which slide down to stop a loco heading for the floor, and they are needed, as these don't allow you to grasp the loco gently while lifting it, as the old ones did. Get them even slightly off vertical, and your expensive loco will be heading for disaster.

So I was puzzled when I found that my new A2/3 was sufficiently long that the end pieces cannot slide down and perform the necessary safety function. Why? Because a Thompson Pacific was 22 ft longer than a Gresley. All Thommos will have to go in old lifts, which are now of course as rare as hen's teeth.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, great northern said:

No replies to my query about relative lengths of Gresley and Thompson Pacifics, so I'll explain why it matters. I put a Thompson in one of the new Peco loco lifts. They have end pieces which slide down to stop a loco heading for the floor, and they are needed, as these don't allow you to grasp the loco gently while lifting it, as the old ones did. Get them even slightly off vertical, and your expensive loco will be heading for disaster.

So I was puzzled when I found that my new A2/3 was sufficiently long that the end pieces cannot slide down and perform the necessary safety function. Why? Because a Thompson Pacific was 22 ft longer than a Gresley. All Thommos will have to go in old lifts, which are now of course as rare as hen's teeth.

Hi Gilbert , Are you sure the Thompson was 22 ft longer , not 22 inches. I can’t locate any details of length of the Thompson but according to the LNER on line Encyclopaedia the overall length of the A4 was 71ft 3/8 inches, and as the Thompson only had a couple of feet longer wheelbase it’s difficult to visualise it being a difference of 22 ft overall.!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jazzer said:

Hi Gilbert , Are you sure the Thompson was 22 ft longer , not 22 inches. I can’t locate any details of length of the Thompson but according to the LNER on line Encyclopaedia the overall length of the A4 was 71ft 3/8 inches, and as the Thompson only had a couple of feet longer wheelbase it’s difficult to visualise it being a difference of 22 ft overall.!

Thank you. Senility ruled OK. I read off the line above the one I had been looking at. I thought it looked wrong. Still won't fit in the loco lift though.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

14 minutes ago, great northern said:

All wrong, in the sense that what should be the main subject is nowhere near the centre of the composition, but on the other hand it does show much more of the overall context.

Gilbert

It depends what you think is the main subject. If the main subject is the north approach to the station, then the train forms a convenient 'boundary' to the view. rather like it in that way. 

Lloyd

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, great northern said:

Our lovely D16 is off down to East with the shuttle again, but this time starting from Platform 6. We have the normal view.

1425539975_12613.JPG.cf064e12e7fd9842af4e7fb5a089f8ef.JPG

and then, because we now have some light from the other side, this one.

940270132_226132.JPG.8d6bef3091c251ac65f54aaf7b04ae39.JPG

which I rather like. More experimentation today with several shots of the same subject, using different settings and programmes. They all came out almost exactly the same.

I know it is a Claud so I am biased but that is a really nice view in my opinion. 

Martyn 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Followed by something perhaps a little less aesthetically pleasing, another WD on the Up slow.

Each to their own.  I happen to love the WD.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

@great northern Gilbert, re your comment about the subject not being in the centre of your image, what you have actually achieved is the 'Rule of Thirds', worth a Google rather than me drone on here about it, but basically the subject is rather more into one side than the centre, and lower (or higher) than centre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

It does indeed take all sorts, but it also depends on what one is judging. If that happens to be which is more aesthetically pleasing, I respectfully suggest that there is no contest. And I like WDs too.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2