Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Penzance 1976 by Keith Wilde

Penzance UK |  1976

What fantastic picture and not just for the parcels train. Every time you look at it, you spot something new.

So many pieces of detail in the one shot. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 8

Weird thing about it is that the weather looks dull. I was on holiday in Cornwall on that very day, and the weather for the entire fortnight was wall-to-wall sunshine …. So far as I recall.

Was a fascinating station at the time.

• Funny 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Perth 1969 by Paul Cheese

Thompson BG.  Perth.  24/7/69.  aimg052

How many of the LMS BGs got blue/grey?

There have been a couple of photos recently, but I only remember them in all over blue.

Regards

Ian

• Like 1

On 04/07/2022 at 19:56, Ian Smeeton said:

There have been a couple of photos recently, but I only remember them in all over blue.

Regards

Ian

I have also been wondering about that, having a Mainline version in B/G. Normally it would be for stock expected to be used on express passenger, was there a shortage of Mk1 BGs for this purpose? Did any get used with the Blue/Grey Porthole stock?

• RMweb Premium
On 04/07/2022 at 19:56, Ian Smeeton said:

Regards

Ian

I vaguely remember from my Platform 5 Coaching Stock book at the time, that only one was ever painted Blue/Grey and the Mainline version accurately numbered as that coach (they also did the all blue version, obviously).

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I vaguely remember from my Platform 5 Coaching Stock book at the time, that only one was ever painted Blue/Grey and the Mainline version accurately numbered as that coach (they also did the all blue version, obviously).

There was definitely more  than one painted blue and grey; what I suspect was rare was one in blue and grey without gangways. I believe the guard's brake equipment (and possibly compartment partitions?) was removed, effectively making the vehicle a Parcels and Miscellaneous Van.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

There was definitely more  than one painted blue and grey; what I suspect was rare was one in blue and grey without gangways. I believe the guard's brake equipment (and possibly compartment partitions?) was removed, effectively making the vehicle a Parcels and Miscellaneous Van.

From my observations, generally used in lieu of, or in addition to, a mk1 bg, the blue grey bit being to make them look a part of the train, unlike plan b which seemed to be a mk1 guv in plain blue/grot.

Mike.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Well there is this one M31024 and there's a picture of M31262M in David Larkins General Parcels Rolling Stock which seems to still have it's corridor connection and M31182M and  M31080M pictured below, so we are up to four! There's also this thread about them...

31024_1977_06_Derby

c.1969 - unknown location.

M31080M_Wolverton_c1968

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

6 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

I have one, unfortunately I don't have a record of the running number although a nice enough photo. July 1968 and has the corridor connectors https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsparcels/e68bfcaf

Paul

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 17/04/2022 at 19:46, montyburns56 said:

Healey Mills 1968 by Terry Campbell

If you are wondering what that coach half a way along is, according to one of the comments on Flickr it's an ex LMS Insulated Cream Van

EE Type 4 D393

Fantastic picture and what a mix of stock - GWR Collet BG, GWR fruit van, LNER 6-wheel van, BR CCT, SR PMV, BR CCT, LMS CCT, LMS cream van, LMS GUV, BR GUV, LMS BZ, LMS GUV, BR Mk1 full brake.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 1 month later...