N gauge Class 50

DapolDave

I'm glad this model is back on again although I must say I'm not keen on lights. The strong headlights on today's trains show up in daylight but if you go back to before the days of headlights there were no lights to be seen on locos during the daylight hours - neither cab lights or marker lights as they just weren't bright enough. This messing about with lights merely adds cost and more things to go wrong; it makes no contribution to improving the realism.

• RMweb Premium

Lights have been totally standard on diesel models for at least 10 years. If you don’t want them just turn them off? I do agree on cab lights though, unnecessary.

Hope the revised NSE loco is a sign of what’s to come.

to be fair the Pendolino has taken longer than we'd have liked

Did you take Hofstadter's law into account? ;)

To be fair, a lot of projects announced for N gauge have taken longer to come through than manufacturers or modelers expected at the time. Farish, Dapol, DJM and RevolutioN have all seen schedules slip. The only models I can think of recently that had short windows between announcement and availability were the Grange and Class 68 (and the Grange largely used parts already developed for other locos).

What is heartening is the level of effort that seems to be going into products. Manufacturers are pushing the envelope with features like coreless motors, 18-pin decoders and RTR sound. We are long past the Poole-era days of the same chassis being turned out year after year with bodies shrunk or stretched to fit.

• Like 1

Lights have been totally standard on diesel models for at least 10 years. If you don’t want them just turn them off? I do agree on cab lights though, unnecessary.

Hope the revised NSE loco is a sign of what’s to come.

My point is we are paying for lights that are completely unnecessary in the first place. Both in terms of piece price and tooling cost. No wonder locos are so expensive these days.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My point is we are paying for lights that are completely unnecessary in the first place. Both in terms of piece price and tooling cost. No wonder locos are so expensive these days.

The unit and tooling cost difference is pennies - sorry but just repeating something you think is unnecessary does not make it true!

I'd agree with you that lighting on models of older prototypes is often too bright on models but that isn't a reason not to provide it.  We're trying to model the prototype (which has lights).

Cheers, Mike

I would like to see some sound fitted models not just sound ready.  It's good that it is being thought of but i am sure a lot of people would prefer it to arrive fitted so as not to risk invalidating warranties as they squeeze the speaker in and with Farish offering that option Dapol should follow suit.

• RMweb Premium

Is that just the old list? Shame there’s still no revised NSE if that proves right, but I wonder if Hattons have just reactivated the pages they had previously.

Edit: they show as having 6-pin decoder compatibility, which we now know isn’t the case, so that’s my guess.

Edited by njee20

Is that just the old list? Shame there’s still no revised NSE if that proves right, but I wonder if Hattons have just reactivated the pages they had previously.

Edit: they show as having 6-pin decoder compatibility, which we now know isn’t the case, so that’s my guess.

That sounds as if Hattons have been told the model is back on but haven't been sent the updated list of models- that will be because Dapol haven't decided which they are doing yet.  Andy said the meeting was to finalise this was sometime soon.

Les

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Dapol have added a list of proposed models lower down the page MGR Hooper! linked to in post #151.

There are sound fitted models and unrefurbished listed, on the subject of NSE liveries Joel posted a reply to that on the Dapol Digest:

Your suggestion of late NSE id a really good one, but I think two NSE variants for batch one will be too much and as the as the original built one has some pre-orders already, I think this will be in batch one with the later NSE in a subsequent batch, sorry :-(

Regards, Gerry.

• RMweb Premium

And for anyone who can't be bothered finding the link:

post-7159-0-61556600-1507118654.jpg

I'm amazed at the price of the DCC sound fitted models. The RRP for the basic DC version is only £5 more than the similar specified Farish Class 40. There's over £70 difference between the two sound fitted models! Ouch.

Steven B.

I'm amazed at the price of the DCC sound fitted models. The RRP for the basic DC version is only £5 more than the similar specified Farish Class 40. There's over £70 difference between the two sound fitted models! Ouch.

Steven B.

I assume you're referring to the Graham Farish Sound Fitted Class 40 and Dapol Sound Fitted Class 50? If so I have a feeling that your maths is really bad.

Their costs (MRP) are as follows:-

- Graham Farish Class 40 (DCC sound fitted) = £209.95

- Dapol Class 50 (DCC sound fitted) = £245

That gives you a difference of = £35.05

Seems to be an rmweb habit to compare the price of two products taking one's MRP and the other's discounted price.

I assume you're referring to the Graham Farish Sound Fitted Class 40 and Dapol Sound Fitted Class 50? If so I have a feeling that your maths is really bad.

Their costs (MRP) are as follows:-

- Graham Farish Class 40 (DCC sound fitted) = £209.95

- Dapol Class 50 (DCC sound fitted) = £245

That gives you a difference of = £35.05

Seems to be an rmweb habit to compare the price of two products taking one's MRP and the other's discounted price.

And for anyone who can't be bothered finding the link:

attachicon.gifDapol50.JPG

Steven B.

I can see 3 DCC sound fitted 50s (aside from the collector club model) listed for £284.95. That's £75 difference between the Farish 40 and the Dapol 50. Or is my maths really bad?!

For the record - I can't wait to get my hands on an N gauge 50 that actually looks like one. Lights and all.

• RMweb Premium

£245 + £25 (Collectors club membership) = £270, still £61 more than the Farish 40.

However you work it out, Dapol are charging a huge premium for the sound fitted model. Depending on if Dapol take the same approach as Farish and fit a speaker to all models it may work out less expensive to buy the DC model and fit your own DCC sound decoder to it.

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold

However you work it out, Dapol are charging a huge premium for the sound fitted model. Depending on if Dapol take the same approach as Farish and fit a speaker to all models it may work out less expensive to buy the DC model and fit your own DCC sound decoder to it.

£135 - 140 premium for sound - that is either a new sound decoder (that is considerably more expensive than ESU or Zimo), a really bad deal to get DCC sound decoders or a considerable profit margin.

Cheers, Mike

Is LegomanBiffo doing the sound for the N gauge 68, as per the 00 version? I think he's said before he has wanted to redo his 50 sound file, as it was one of the earlier efforts, so it'll be interesting to see if he again is the preferred supplier (if they even know yet!).

£245 + £25 (Collectors club membership) = £270, still £61 more than the Farish 40.

Steven B.

Firstly my apologies for misreading your previous post.

Maybe it's something to do with Dapol's new high-end IMPERIUM decoders? That's just a guess, don't take my word as gospel, it could be the cost of the IMPERIUM decoder + the other sound related electronics.

Maybe it's something to do with Dapol's new high-end IMPERIUM decoders? That's just a guess, don't take my word as gospel, it could be the cost of the IMPERIUM decoder + the other sound related electronics.

The regular DCC version is only £25 more than the DC version so that is unlikely to be it. Unless they are using Imperium for the sound-fitted models and a cheaper chip for the plain DCC models.