A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I am somewhat mystified as to how this has happened when the Mogul has not presented a similar debacle. 

Quite. It seems very odd, though Dapol has at least got it right on the loco for which there is no alternative!

That they are addressing the less obvious shortcomings on those does at least demonstrate that they do listen and act, even if belatedly.

John

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Speaking of the 43xx, how have others found its performance?   I have found mine to be a bit gutless slipping on 4ft radius curves with 4 coaches, (admittedly including a brass sunshine stock and a brass / white metal concertina).

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Speaking of the 43xx, how have others found its performance?   I have found mine to be a bit gutless slipping on 4ft radius curves with 4 coaches, (admittedly including a brass sunshine stock and a brass / white metal concertina).

Romps with 8 MK1s (Both Blue and Red Box versions) but begins to struggle with 9 on my 30"/36" curves off scene. No additional weight. I 'improved' the 'Drawbar'.

P

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Where's the biting one's tongue for fear of moderation button.😮

I got a huge bollocking and 24 hours on the Naughty Step the other day for 'trying to be hard' (Moderator words, not mine), saying something like this.

I am suitably chastened.

P

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

I suspect you’ve identified your problem.It’s just “brassed  off”……

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, mdvle said:

It's too late - these are production samples they have taken pictures of so model taken off the production line and shipped by air to Dapol ahead of the rest of them being shipped by sea.

Now in all their glory awaiting preorders on Rails website. So now we know that apparently what we see is what we get .Well,some of us anyway…..Let the tills ring !  ( But not my bell )

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

A bit of God's Wonderful indulgence in the interests of research. I think this settles it in favour of the Irish team.

Castle and Manor at Kerr Moor on the Wizzer back in 2007. How can this be 15 years ago!!! 😮

114186472_78225051panKerrMoor13Mar07.jpeg.f4f1583a4b52e125802e84a6931e2900.jpeg

Lovely.

• Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/05/2022 at 09:57, Ian Hargrave said:

I suspect you’ve identified your problem.It’s just “brassed  off”……

That comment was around in my very early years of the 50s. Have you any idea what it came from? Wartime sort of thing about cleaning Brass? Rarely hear it as with "Daft as a Brush|" (not Class 47) or "Clot".

I know, I am of an age.

P

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

That comment was around in my very early years of the 50s. Have you any idea what it came from? Wartime sort of thing about cleaning Brass? Rarely hear it as with "Daft as a Brush|" (not Class 47) or "Clot".

I know, I am of an age.

P

How about "wick as a lop"? That was one of my Dad's favourites, which was common where he grew up.

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I know, I am of an age.

P

Honestly have no idea. Several years ago it was the title for a film as you would have guessed about a band.

And wouldn’t you know it, posted as oldie of even another age. Afterthought…..many of our dads/grandads served in the forces over two world wars and would have been put to the task of polishing the brass objects that adorned military uniforms.My own father who served in the “other ranks” of the RAF spoke of “blancoing” …I.e. whitening the various webbing and uniform belts of an airman’s regalia. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Wartime sort of thing about cleaning Brass?

Shine your buttons with Brasso
It's only three ha'pence a tin
You can buy from Boots or from Woolworths
But I don't think they've got any in

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

How about "wick as a lop"? That was one of my Dad's favourites, which was common where he grew up.

My Dad would often use the phrase 'Doolally tap' which came from his WW2 service. Deolali from the transit camp in the Indian township of that name and 'Tap' from the Urdu word for fever.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Honestly have no idea. Several years ago it was the title for a film as you would have guessed about a band.

And wouldn’t you know it, posted as oldie of even another age. Afterthought…..many of our dads/grandads served in the forces over two world wars and would have been put to the task of polishing the brass objects that adorned military uniforms.My own father who served in the “other ranks” of the RAF spoke of “blancoing” …I.e. whitening the various webbing and uniform belts of an airman’s regalia. 

All the bull on Blanco:

https://www.blancoandbull.com/potted-history-of-web-cleaning/

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

17 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Shine your buttons with Brasso
It's only three ha'pence a tin
You can buy from Boots or from Woolworths
But I don't think they've got any in

Somewhere I have a a small sheet of brass that was issued to my father as part of his RAF kit:

https://www.britishmilitarybadges.co.uk/products/1955-national-service-brass-button-cleaner--polisher-uniform-protector-guard-stick-2.html

To be slid behind uniform brass buttons, cap badges, etc, to protect the cloth during polishing.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

Somewhere I have a a small sheet of brass that was issued to my father as part of his RAF kit:

https://www.britishmilitarybadges.co.uk/products/1955-national-service-brass-button-cleaner--polisher-uniform-protector-guard-stick-2.html

To be slid behind uniform brass buttons, cap badges, etc, to protect the cloth during polishing.

I passed mine onto my son. It saw service on many a tunic between 1993 and 2021, both military and emergency service. 

Rob. 

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I passed mine onto my son. It saw service on many a tunic between 1993 and 2021, both military and emergency service. 

Rob. 

Excellent thing to do. No need to be sheepish about your service to your Country; be proud.

A. Pillock.

• Like 6