A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

20 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

That comment was around in my very early years of the 50s. Have you any idea what it came from? Wartime sort of thing about cleaning Brass? Rarely hear it as with "Daft as a Brush|" (not Class 47) or "Clot".

I know, I am of an age.

P

One of my favourites comes from a misprint in a newspaper in Ghana during my short stay in that country. The article referred to a politician noted for his sartorial elegance, and spoke of him being 'immaculately dressed, down to the rose in his bottom hole'. Therefore if someone is talking rubbish, we say that he is 'talking out of his rose'.

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

I passed mine onto my son. It saw service on many a tunic between 1993 and 2021, both military and emergency service. 

Rob. 

Still got a button guard somewhere. It was very secondhand when I got it. I still have the folding knife from my father's national service kit, which like most was reissued from WWI, complete with the tool for splicing rope and getting flints out of horses hooves. It was a really useful bit of kit and I  carried that around everywhere from about the age of eleven until it became illegal. (Thanks a lot!)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, FarrMan said:

One of my favourites comes from a misprint in a newspaper in Ghana during my short stay in that country. The article referred to a politician noted for his sartorial elegance, and spoke of him being 'immaculately dressed, down to the rose in his bottom hole'. Therefore if someone is talking rubbish, we say that he is 'talking out of his rose'.

Lloyd

Which, straying even further off-topic, reminds me of a misprint in a rugby report by the Leeds University newspaper, which should have read "Leeds scored after some first-rate rucking".

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Nightmare stuff.

The week before our training platoon passed out we were issued the then new nylon belts. No more blancoing. Some the guys were so pleased they were throwing their belts around the barrack room when in walked our platoon staff sergeant. We had to wear white blancoed belts for out passing out parade. This meant getting the green blanco off the 37 pattern webbing belts we had and making them white.

294 Cfn Mortimore

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I passed mine onto my son. It saw service on many a tunic between 1993 and 2021, both military and emergency service. 

Rob. 

Fortunately I haven't had to use dad's one, since all my shiny buttons and badges were all 'staybrite'.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I hope @rapidoandy doesn't mind me shewing these samples on here.

1283767499_15xxsample.jpg.cec0a5c35cb64b196959e4e0f7e72022.jpg

873143215_15xxsample.jpga.jpg.c16bfe2a34e8d5b222c91364ccb27c52.jpg

Nice, apart from the sticky-out couplings perhaps. I wonder whether they'll be producing the chimney in copper rather than brass?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Nice, apart from the sticky-out couplings perhaps. I wonder whether they'll be producing the chimney in copper rather than brass?

Ooooff. That looks really good. What a thing eh that we have stuff like this presented to us fairly frequently. 

How the hell can I justify one of those at SOSJ?

P

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Even J and M models of Maldon done GWR chimneys in turned brass with a turned copper top back in the 1980's.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

55 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Even J and M models of Maldon done GWR chimneys in turned brass with a turned copper top back in the 1980's.

Production wise it would probably be easier to electroplate the whole chimney in copper rather than machining up a two piece item

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

How the hell can I justify one of those at SOSJ?

P

I would have thought a similar way to me further sw, comrade Duck 😉

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Production wise it would probably be easier to electroplate the whole chimney in copper rather than machining up a two piece item

About 50 years ago I tried to electroplate a whitemetal chimney. It worked - sort of - but as I'd probably got the concentration of copper sulphate (from my Merit chemistry set) and the voltage (from a dry cell battery) wrong, and I probably didn't clean the casting up very thoroughly, it didn't last long.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Around about the same time, there were a lot of copper or brass plated trinkets in the shape of miniature gramophones, sewing machines etc. Usually concealing a pencil sharpener!

Copper electroplating brass is easy, it's the first stage in chrome plating, which isn't.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

How would one do that now (and hopefully more effectively)?

see my post below.

dialing up the voltage until I saw action probably helped. I forget the exact details but AFAIR I used acid and very dilute CuSO4 solution as the electrolyte and clean copper electrode. Don't hurry it, you are transferring metal from one electrode to the other and you want it to deposit slowly.

Results were very effective when used for plating brass rod

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

About 50 years ago I tried to electroplate a whitemetal chimney. It worked - sort of - but as I'd probably got the concentration of copper sulphate (from my Merit chemistry set) and the voltage (from a dry cell battery) wrong, and I probably didn't clean the casting up very thoroughly, it didn't last long.

Do Springside still supply copper plated chimneys? I know they did in the past

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Seen on the SVR website , this beautiful shot of GWR 28xx class 2857 crossing Victoria Bridge. An added bonus to the shot is an Avro Lancaster up above too. Marvellous. Photo courtesy of Rich Pittmann.

Fabulous!

• Agree 6