A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

……I am definitely going to keep mentioning "do a 1000 County" every time I see them at a show...

And a Pannier tank as well Rich…. Just saying 😎

Good luck with your Mitchell Manor

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

That said I am very interested to see if the weight of the Manor is anything like the deltic, it is massively heavier compared with comparable diesel locos.  If the Manor has similar weight it will shift anything put behind it (unlike the completely gutless Dapol 43xx).  I am definitely going to keep mentioning "do a 1000 County" every time I see them at a show...

Just wonder what you find the 43XX will pull. I'm thinking of having one of 'batch 2' but with so many other goodies about I don't want waste money on something that won't pull the skin off a rice pudding. Perhaps weight can be added but I'm wary of overloading mechanisms that aren't designed for it.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

I haven’t tried it on rtr coaches, but with a brass 70 ft concertina, brass 60ft sunshine stock and 2 rtr Hornby coaches it slips when starting 

Thanks Rich. Looks like I’ll pass on that then. They weren’t common in Cornwall so no great loss.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

Thanks Rich. Looks like I’ll pass on that then. They weren’t common in Cornwall so no great loss.

Mine is fine on both my freight and six coach passenger turns and I’ve ordered one from the next batch too.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Mine (first batch) has no trouble with 18-wagon freights or 6-coach passenger trains. Although there weren't many in Cornwall, the odd one is an essential part of the scene I think. Mine is St Blazey's own 6305.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/06/2022 at 16:44, TrevorP1 said:

Just wonder what you find the 43XX will pull. I'm thinking of having one of 'batch 2' but with so many other goodies about I don't want waste money on something that won't pull the skin off a rice pudding. Perhaps weight can be added but I'm wary of overloading mechanisms that aren't designed for it.

My 'gutless' Mogul will shift 8 Baccy Mk 1s with ease around all parts of the layout. With 9 it struggles a bit on the 30" curve ruturn ends. Not added any weight. Did modify the Drawbar.

It will only get used on probably a 7 Coach WR Diversion.

On a shunting/Branch type layout it would be a valuable asset.

P

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Although I haven't had the space to do it for over twenty years, as a comparison my circa 1996 Bachmann mogul would also pull eight coaches. I don't know if it would have pulled more as I only ever had eight coaches! 

When I had a large single track loft layout on the go, I had an extensive "testing" session to see which of my locos could do it.

I think that of all the GWR branch line type locos available at that time, only the 14XX spun its wheels. All makes of pannier, prairie etc managed it, even the first edition Tri-ang Dean single managed it.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hunt couplings are brilliant and I’ve notice they will attach firmly to Hornby and Oxford TL hooks but not Bachmann - who must be using non-ferrous metal.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

I think that some of the Bachmann ones are blackened brass?

Though I have checked Pannier 4612 with the nem couplings of similar size to the old Airfix ones and the hook is steel.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Hunt couplings are brilliant and I’ve notice they will attach firmly to Hornby and Oxford TL hooks but not Bachmann - who must be using non-ferrous metal.

Yes, they're blackened brass.  Which is what makes Bachmann couplings so suitable for the 'Brian Kirby' modification to allow remote uncoupling of tension locks - the added steel staple is attracted by the magnet to raise the coupling but the coupling hook stays neutral and doesn't interfere.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Looks more like khaki green for the military modellers 🤪

45 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

wrong shade of green😉

Don't let the facts get in the way of my funny.😉

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Those guys at Accurascale keep the SR modellers happy by making the siphon g model available in malachite.😀

enparts.thumb.jpg.0af494e5d3da2619cd595da0a7a96fb7.jpg

You've misspelled Malashite.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, John Besley said:

Have you seen the Dartmouth Express - think 70000 is hauling this

Yes and talking of beasts this was parked up at Paignton.

0AFF3CAB-AA98-4F13-8AB0-B6F5CEB575AA.jpeg

D167198F-698B-4564-9C7D-1BC962C4B509.jpeg

54BEB8C0-AC7B-4360-BE1F-BC4F138A71E5.jpeg

• Like 18