Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Visiting the trainspotting branch of Waitrose in Tilehurst yesterday I can confirm from what I saw there that three passenger trains would have passed through Pangbourne in a matter of only a few minutes - one on each running line except for the Up Relief.  That of course was on a strike day when far fewer trains than normal were running.

Yesterday afternoon there was a point when there were 4 Avanti WC trains plus a freight going to DIRFT, trying to use Rugby southbound.

Platform 6 had something parked up (light engine?). Platform 4 had an Avanti train that terminated there. Platform 5 had an Avanti train stopping on it's way to Euston.

There were two more Avanti Trains and a freight waiting on the US for access.

Made the place look super busy for a short while.

10 mins later it was quiet again.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Visiting the trainspotting branch of Waitrose in Tilehurst yesterday I can confirm from what I saw there that three passenger trains would have passed through Pangbourne in a matter of only a few minutes - one on each running line except for the Up Relief.  That of course was on a strike day when far fewer trains than normal were running.

I would have thought this is a common sight is what I meant to write.

I saw there that three passenger trains would have passed through is a bit confusing unless you are citing Schrodinger's train.

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, JN said:

I would have thought this is a common sight is what I meant to write.

I saw there that three passenger trains would have passed through is a bit confusing unless you are citing Schrodinger's train.

Of course it isn't confusing!  'I saw three passenger trains' - a statement of fact because I did see three passenger trains.  I said where I was when I saw them so the geography is clearly established.   And those trains would have passed through Pangbourne in a matter of minutes - a simple fact of geography and the route of the railway and trains speed.  So hardly Schrodinger's train or trains  but actually GWR's and Cross Country's.  I rest my case on proper usage of the English language - however as Schrodinger was Austrian i do accepth that, perhaps, he might have had some difficulty with English.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Of course it isn't confusing!  'I saw three passenger trains' - a statement of fact because I did see three passenger trains.  I said where I was when I saw them so the geography is clearly established.   And those trains would have passed through Pangbourne in a matter of minutes - a simple fact of geography and the route of the railway and trains speed.  So hardly Schrodinger's train or trains  but actually GWR's and Cross Country's.  I rest my case on proper usage of the English language - however as Schrodinger was Austrian i do accepth that, perhaps, he might have had some difficulty with English.

But does Pangbourne have a cat?😄

7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The sentence structure seemed odd to me. Never mind.

I should have explained, further that railways normally have gaps in traffic for commercial and safety reasons. His shutter speed was what, 1/125. I am sure less than 100th of a second of totally empty track would happen on the busiest of days. The maximum optimal distance between trains is about five minutes at line speed (more for single line workings). I thought the point of this thread was to show something unusual and the photograph was not of something unusual to me. I have obviously misunderstood something again, so I will apologise for the misunderstanding.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, melmerby said:

But does Pangbourne have a cat?😄

Probably although I can't recall seeing one as I've passed through.  however for a small place it has an excellent butcher, a good ironmonger (hardware shop for younger readers), a branch of WHS, a Co-op, a sometimes reasonably priced (in general terms ) petrol station, and some excellent restaurants/eateries.

Plus of course a wide variety of frequent trains including proper ones with locos hauling them.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Is this the Railtrack advert that had to show no trains just incase any purchasers of shares though the would get any with their purchase!

That reminds me of the nonsense of the all line timetable that could not show a train on the cover to avoid being seen as favouring a TOC so showed empty tracks instead.

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

That reminds me of the nonsense of the all line timetable that could not show a train on the cover to avoid being seen as favouring a TOC so showed empty tracks instead.

The easy solution to that is to show something else that would be instantly recognised, such as the Forth Bridge.

On 25/06/2022 at 05:40, JN said:

Some say Schrodinger's version might have been:

I saw there that three passenger trains could have passed through

Whether they would (or not) remains a Paradox of life on Network Rail (until we open the revised timetable).

On 25/06/2022 at 19:11, The Stationmaster said:

Of course it isn't confusing!  'I saw three passenger trains' - a statement of fact because I did see three passenger trains.

In a Stationmaster universe, everything is what it should (or would) mean. Or once meant, before something else happened, or we boldy go at BR warp speed into another topic. We might all, however, reasonably conclude (without fear of toys being thrown out the train or anyone having a hissy fit) that parsing syntax was not a part of the normal GWR / BR(W) training regime. 😋

• Funny 1

23 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Is this the Railtrack advert that had to show no trains just incase any purchasers of shares though the would get any with their purchase!

16 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

15 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The easy solution to that is to show something else that would be instantly recognised, such as the Forth Bridge.

The better solution would have been a single operator railway - no favoured train operators then.

#justsayin 😀

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I saw there that three passenger trains could have passed through

In Schroedinger's world, once you look, things crystallise and either did or did not happen. It's only while you don't look inside the box that his cat hangs weirdly between the two states of alive and dead.

So, while you're still standing on the platform, your train may or may not arrive. If you go and look, the train will decide to be an hour late - or not. But at least you know...

Yours,  Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

That would have shown an anti-English bias

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

But we're not including a train in the view so it'll be pitch black ................. could be anywhere !

Nah - as the photographer would be there with the Tunnel gang they would have their Tilley lamps lit so it wouldn't be all that dark.  In fact when i went down there I was surprised how light it was with all the various lamps lit.

• Like 1

On 26/06/2022 at 12:16, Ian Morgan said:

Perhaps we need a new thread/topic 'Railways without Trains'? Here is one from the 1980's:

mainline4.jpg.6e9fbe93ed9dee0e0f1a4ae288f77e05.jpg

Oh yes - I've trudged along that particular bit of lonely road a few times ............................. 😉

On 26/06/2022 at 11:52, Michael Hodgson said:

On 27/06/2022 at 05:57, The Pilotman said:

That would have shown an anti-English bias

Not so - the bridge was originally 70% owned by English railways.

• Like 1