Prototype for everything corner.

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!

With four EMD/General Motors locos pulling the train, you might have thought it was somewhere in North America, but this is wildest West Midlands.

6M50 was given a run on the Up Derby Fast with 66849 Wylam Dilly heading the working with 70808, 70814 & 70013 hitching a ride along with the HQA and JNA ballast wagons, 6M50 Westbury to Bescot.

Quite the lash up

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!

With four EMD/General Motors locos pulling the train, you might have thought it was somewhere in North America, but this is wildest West Midlands.

Quite the lash up

bandit country!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 31/05/2022 at 15:14, Wickham Green too said:

..... not to mention London Lydd Airport - whose station is long closed - or London Biggin Hill Airport - whose railway never got built .................................. at least London Gatwick, London Luton and London Stansted are accessible by rail - even though they're further from Town than the London Airport we all know and hate.

Then there was London Lullingstone - which had a station but the airport never materialised ! ( Imagine trying to say 'London Lullingstone' after too much duty free ! )

And there is London Oxford Airport, aka Oxford International Airport formerly know as Kidllingtn Airport.  Just under 1 mile from the site of Kidlington station which closed in 1964 but if reopened it would only be a 12 minute 'bus ride from the 'airport'.  All previous reopening plans for Kidlington were killed off by the opening of Oxford Parkway - which is a 21 minute 'bus ride from the airport with a 'bus every 30 minutes

19 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

And there is London Oxford Airport, aka Oxford International Airport formerly know as Kidllingtn Airport.  Just under 1 mile from the site of Kidlington station which closed in 1964 but if reopened it would only be a 12 minute 'bus ride from the 'airport'.  All previous reopening plans for Kidlington were killed off by the opening of Oxford Parkway - which is a 21 minute 'bus ride from the airport with a 'bus every 30 minutes

There is Teesside Airport that when it opened had a half hourly service, it then became hourly and eventually became two a day!

Eventually it closed!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Teesside Airport station is not quite closed yet Mark. One train a week (Hartlepool to Darlington) in one direction only still calls there although I doubt anyone uses it. There are still platforms in each direction but the footbridge has been condemned so you cannot access the Middlesbrough direction platform. 

7 minutes ago, 40052 said:

Teesside Airport station is not quite closed yet Mark. One train a week (Hartlepool to Darlington) in one direction only still calls there although I doubt anyone uses it. There are still platforms in each direction but the footbridge has been condemned so you cannot access the Middlesbrough direction platform. 

I think the issue was that the station was on totally the wrong side of the airport but not sure? I know that people often visit it for YouTube channels etc. There is an interesting channel with a series called “least used station in ….. county” that went there. 

Edit - it was “closed temporarily” last month. Not sure what that means but I suspect it will be temporarily until further notice I.e forever in all but name. 

Edited by ianmacc
Clarity

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, ianmacc said:

Edit - it was “closed temporarily” last month. Not sure what that means but I suspect it will be temporarily until further notice I.e forever in all but name. 

It's in the 15th May timetable but no trains stop there! Part of the fence has collapsed and is barriered off.

https://goo.gl/maps/KE2ypQGVta7AtEsS9

It's a bit of a hike, out in the open, from the station platform to the terminal, about 1km.

Not exactly inviting.

• Informative/Useful 1

There is still a 14.56 on a Sunday in the new timetable - I wonder if you could claim a taxi as a replacement if the station is closed for repairs? That would be more convenient for the airport as you could get the taxi to drop off/pick up at the terminal building!

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

That might depend on the driver's cooperation ..... he'd be under contract to the TOC so ought to do what THEY say ! ( Extra - unpaid - mileage on a Sunday might not be too welcome ! )

Agreed. He’d take you to the railway station in fulfilment of the TOC’s contractual obligation. 

True on both counts, it was just an idle thought although he would have to drive past the airport to get to the railway station as it's located at the end of a cut-de-sac alongside some old hangers 

On 31/05/2022 at 15:14, Wickham Green too said:

..... not to mention London Lydd Airport - whose station is long closed - or London Biggin Hill Airport - whose railway never got built .................................. at least London Gatwick, London Luton and London Stansted are accessible by rail - even though they're further from Town than the London Airport we all know and hate.

Did we mention London Southend Airport?

• RMweb Gold

Want to add a bit of colour to your infrastructure - red is always a good colour to brighten a photographic scene - it should work well in a modern model railway. 

Poppy path Seaford station 5 6 2022.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
On 31/05/2022 at 23:29, melmerby said:

From the foot positions probably actually doing an Irish dance tradition. Even modelling dancers has the options for whatever the equivalent of rivet counters would be!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, john new said:

From the foot positions probably actually doing an Irish dance tradition. Even modelling dancers has the options for whatever the equivalent of rivet counters would be!

Invisible ink! It's called "Fluffy Morris" and is derived from the North - West tradition of morris dancing. When I first moved to the North - West, there were still a lot of girls' groups in the town carnival processions. As most of these have died out, they tend to have competitions in halls and places like that. 

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, 62613 said:

Invisible ink! It's called "Fluffy Morris" and is derived from the North - West tradition of morris dancing. When I first moved to the North - West, there were still a lot of girls' groups in the town carnival processions. As most of these have died out, they tend to have competitions in halls and places like that. 

I'd forgotten 'fluffy".

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Did we mention London Southend Airport?

If we take Ryanair geography into account, there's probably a London Inverness airport...........☹️

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, melmerby said:

If we take Ryanair geography into account, there's probably a London Inverness airport...........☹️

Or as the rest of the airlines call it, Belfast...

• Funny 6

23 years ago I stepped off a plane from Dublin at Teeside airport and needed to get back to Durham.  I walked to the station following the roadsigns and crossed the footbridge to the boarded up station building.  Helpfully there was a phone to rail enquiries which I used to ask when the next train was due.  This caused some confusion as the operator wasn't aware of a station there and enquired if I was sure I wasn't at Newcastle airport?  Aye pretty sure as that's a Metro station so wouldn't have this phone.  I ended up walking back to the airport to catch a bus.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 12/05/2022 at 16:06, Metr0Land said:

A Brit on Southern freight in 1953?  Problems with Merchant Navy's meant such things were drafted in.

35138190504_a3c1b7eccc_b.jpgWinchfield 6.6.53 by robmcrorie, on Flickr

Yes the M3 is the other side - the low bridge in the distance is Winchfield station. I spent some time as Track Engineer for this section of line and a right of passage was to be able hurl a piece of ballast right over the high bridge !! - I never managed it. The photo is taken from Totters Lane which is still a nice place to take pictures - somewhere to park the car / hardly any traffic / rural / all 4 corners of the bridge photographable and plenty of trains even if they are mostly EMU's. I didn't know there had been a house there (long gone) but that does explain the small reservoir & cistern on the upside. The structure under the wooden roof is in fact a concrete pillbox !!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

NSE liveried class 50 with a matching rake of Mk1s weren't uncommon, unless of course you lived in Manchester:

9739204733_1e30b96c99_w.jpg

50002 by AJF 1, on Flickr

50002 Superb ran a Oxford to Manchester Piccadilly relief in July 1987 after the booked Poole to Manchester train was cancelled south of Oxford. '002 and matching train was commandeered from a Paddington to Oxford service.

As an aside, there was a period in early 1988 where 50s ran to Manchester on a Paddington-Picc' service with Mk2 Intercity Mk2 stock, taking a break at Stafford on the return.

Steven B.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1