Kernow Model Rail Shop

37pits

The above comments have been of concern to Chris as the owner of the business who has responded accordingly.

We always try very hard to give good service and it is always disappointing when somebody does not think we have gone far enough to help them.  Nobody is perfect and while we always try very hard there will inevitably be times when we get it wrong and if this happens and we are told about it we will do our best to put it right.

We have a customer care course later this month that everyone (including me!) will be attending as I want to ensure that we can continue to do the best we can to look after our valued customers.

I do however take issue with the comment "I don't doubt it was the same female I encountered, she's clearly out of her depth in the trade".  If this was true, it would be my fault for employing someone who is out of their depth!  The member of staff concerned is a reliable, hard-working, dedicated member of our team who has to deal with more than her fair share of rude, arrogant, bigoted people who instantly judge that because she is female and young she cannot possibly know what she is talking about.  It is unfair of those people to even expect a 21 year old to know as much as they do when they have spent maybe 40 years in their hobby.  Not everyone can be an expert in everything and I have other staff who can give the in-depth expert advice when required.

I am not suggesting that this was the case with either of the unhappy posters, but I am unable to comment further on their experiences without any further information.  I am happy to look into it further should they wish to contact me with their details.

To correct something else stated earlier in the thread, we have never been in Redruth!  We opened in Camborne and have no connection to any other business from either Redruth or anywhere else!

Kernow have a good, solid reputation with many customers so drop Chris an email if you have any specific complaint and I'm sure he'll look into it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I do not recognise the situations posted in 178,180 and 181. and I have been a happy customer of Kernow for 7/8 years. What disturbs me further are the clearly chauvinistic comments contained in them.I find that both distasteful and unfair and entirely agree with Chris Trerise's observations.As a collective whole of modelling enthusiasts we ourselves are sometimes imperfect examples in that area as the occasional posting bears witness.Too many of us don't properly think things through and the consequences of so doing before hitting the button to post.

Guest CPRAIL3000

I will talk to Chris by phone soon.  The post was not chauvinistic it was clearly stating a fact.  The customer was very well mannered for the situation that had arisen.   I shall remove my post and my membership as no one can give constructive comments any more.

I was a bit unlucky with Kernow this weekend. In response to a newsletter sent on 30 January stating they had just received a big box of Maunsells I ordered a rake of 5 Dapol N gauge coaches and a Van C online on Sunday 1 February. I did check each item to see if the were available before buying. The following day I received an email confirming my order and telling me to ignore the statement that my credit card had been debited. I found this ambiguous.

I made a follow up enquiry today asking when they would dispatch the coaches. The reply was that Dapol 2P-012-100 Maunsell Brake 3rd was out of stock as shown when I ordered it. The coaches would be delivered when they had some fresh stock in about a week's time.

I don't recall any of the items being out of stock when I ordered them but I may be wrong.  Dapol 2P-012-100 Maunsell 3rd is now also out of stock.

I have found it easier ordering from Hattons as it is clearer when my credit card has been debited and which items are in stock.

On the positive side it looks like the Maunsell coaches have sold well at Kernow and I should be receiving the coaches in time for my birthday in the middle of February. Kernow have been quicker in telling the public about their delivery than Hattons if Hattons have received the Maunsells. The presentation of Maunsell coaches on the Kernow website is better than Hattons,

I think that if there is a thread about a business we should be allowed to issue constructive criticism as well as praise. The business should look upon criticism as an opportunity for improvement.

Edited by Robin Brasher

I will talk to Chris by phone soon.  The post was not chauvinistic it was clearly stating a fact.  The customer was very well mannered for the situation that had arisen.   I shall remove my post and my membership as no one can give constructive comments any more.

I absolutely agree with this post. There is likewise no bigotry or arrogance from my position, and I resent the suggestion. It is quite disingenuous to try and turn the situation around and into something else.

The point I was making is that I have been the recipient of some brusque and unhelpful treatment by staff, where it was quite unwarranted. I have no doubt that your staff have more than enough to contend with from rude and difficult customers at times, but that does not and never will justify treating all customers as if they were a nuisance.

I would be happy to speak to or email Chris given his personal contact details. I wouldn't like to end up in the situation of speaking to the wrong person.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't recall any of the items being out of stock when I ordered them but I may be wrong

Kernow's cybertill will show items as in stock if there is one physically in the shop.  It doesn't show how many are in stock.  The situation you describe can arise when either you order more of an item than is in stock or you order something of which the last is then picked off the shelf by a customer in the shop and paid for at the counter before your own order is picked.

In either case KMRC will always, in my experience, let the customer know as soon as possible that an item is out of stock or not stocked in sufficient numbers to fulfil the order.  In many cases they can give an expected wait time as the major manufacturers would have regular delivery cycles to the shop.  This only becomes a real problem id the item is sold out from the manufacturer which can happen with popular items.

I would be happy to speak to or email Chris given his personal contact details.

Use the Contact Us link on their website unless you have personally been offered more specific information.  Alternatively call the store and ask to speak with him.

Can't help but feel that a vague complaint of rudeness which happened last year against a easily identifiable member of staff on a public forum is a bit low.

I think a direct contact with the retailer in a reasonable time frame and by all means a summary of the experience on here, would have been the route to follow.

Can't help but feel that a vague complaint of rudeness which happened last year against a easily identifiable member of staff on a public forum is a bit low.

I think a direct contact with the retailer in a reasonable time frame and by all means a summary of the experience on here, would have been the route to follow.

As you're not specific which previous posting you're referring to, I must ask if this is mine? If so, you make a number of assumptions that are incorrect, and you know what assumption does? I think Chris's reply besides quoting a mission statement on customer care and 4 lines on what a wonderful person his employee is, proves KMC's inability to accept even modest criticism where it's due, and offers little by way of apology. The number of sycophants bobbing up to dance to the piper's tune against someone rightfully challenging rude service from a supplier (with whom those concerned seem reverentially enamoured), is quite irrelevant. As has been said elsewhere here sic.

"I think that if there is a thread about a business we should be allowed to issue constructive criticism as well as praise. The business should look upon criticism as an opportunity for improvement".

.....is currently stitching his pockets up in readiness for a visit to Kernow Models tomorrow! It's always difficult not to call in when I'm staying in Truro for a few days.

We'll see what happens?

• RMweb Premium

Rail operators are standing by to reinstate the Wednesday stops at Camborne as Jethro prepares to hang up his towel and hand his crown to Kernow King ;)

Alternatively get a 14 or 18 bus from Truro - they might take longer but they run every 10 minutes which is much better than the train!

• 2 weeks later...

Never had a problem in many years of using their mail order.

In my mind they are not the cheapest, but if I want something FAST and accurate they are the ones.

I've also been on the other end of the phone when the public calls and I tried to be polite all the time, but it's the odd one occasion I probably didn't manage it, so I have some sympathy.

I'd be happy to see more females in model shops, stops them looking like old people's homes

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm surprised no one else has picked up a point in Kermow's latest newsletter this weekend that on limited edition news "Chris has been busy working away on the artwork of a 'yet to be announced" Bachmann OO gauge model ....... ooooo!"

Well! Presumably a new model Bachmann is announcing on 2 March, of which Kernow will run a specific livery variation as their limited edition. Locomotive? Coach? Wagon? We shall see!

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm surprised no one else has picked up a point in Kermow's latest newsletter this weekend that on limited edition news "Chris has been busy working away on the artwork of a 'yet to be announced" Bachmann OO gauge model ....... ooooo!"

Well! Presumably a new model Bachmann is announcing on 2 March, of which Kernow will run a specific livery variation as their limited edition. Locomotive? Coach? Wagon? We shall see!

John

Noted in the newsletter but as the comment was unspecific I felt no further comment was necessary.  I'm sure they have several projects on the go which we don't already know about; perhaps this one has come to the light at the end of the tunnel and is set to be announced.

It'll be a Scencecraft model of the shop...

New or old shopfront?   ;)

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I note  that  Kernow's latest  newsletter  just  received  is  listing  quite   a  few  Bachmann & Hornby Bargains in both  00 & N  Gauges

Some good  reductions on  N  Gauge  4-CEPS  and  some  DMUs  and  also  Hornby EMUs  (inc Blue liveried ones) but also many others worth looking  at.

Edited by Stevelewis

• 2 weeks later...

2 hal ordered Saturday arrived Wednesday. For £74 what a bargain, looks very good next to the 2x 2 bil previously bought from Kernow. As always excellent packaging and service.

Right, really need to stop buying and get on building a 3rd rail layout.

Atb

Nik

• 2 weeks later...

just placed another order for some Bachmann coaches  last Sunday over the net, received email confirming item was being prepared for posting, then email stating it had been posted, received Wednesday (royal mail 2nd class - my choice). Excellent service again

I have to admit I am not very happy with Kernow at the moment, those Blue DMUs are far too cheap and I promised the other half I wouldn't buy any more trains until the layout is up and running (a couple of years yet as the new house needs sorting first) but those DMUs are very very tempting!

Oh she was in when the last package (containing Presflos and ballast wagons) was delivered last week so is watching me like a hawk at the moment, I might have a day out down to Cornwall next Friday!

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 4