Kernow Model Rail Shop

37pits

Probably the wrong place to put this but Hattons have a second hand Well Tank and at quite a good price so thought it worth mentioning:

http://www.ehattons.com/81646/Dapol_K2053_LN_Class_0298_Beattie_well_tank_30585_in_BR_black_Pre_owned_Like_new/StockDetail.aspx

No links to this or Hattons, just thought there might be someone out there looking for one of these

Edited by woodenhead

• RMweb Premium

So glade i brought mine when they came out, bit of a mark up there on the price i paid!.

Hattons are welcome to price as they see fit and someone out there might be willing to pay it.  But asking something like a 33% mark-up over the as-new price for a second-hand item doesn't always do them credit.

On the other hand it may suggest there is still latent demand for more new ones (though the price asked for them might now be much more than for the original batches) and that pulse is one I would be sure Kernow MRC has their finger on.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just received the Kernow Newsletter showing the 00 Tiger wagons, with a basic CAD image and photos of the actual wagons intended for production.

Plus an intriguing CAD image of a new 00 item 'yet to be announced'.  Looks like a new Brake Van to me, but which one I confess I don't know.......

post-312-0-27697000-1406892750.jpg

• Like 2

Interesting, I may be way off but it looks like a LSWR Road Van, built from 1898. Reason I say this is that I can discern from what can be seen on one side is a single end verandah handrails and a set of midway double doors, which typify this type of brake van. What makes this a possible is that one served on the Bodmin to Padstow branch from the late 30s and is preserved on the Bluebell Railway. Some of these vans lasted into the 60's so there are many livery options. Hope it is one of these.

• RMweb Gold

So, what's the new 'yet to be announced' item from Kernow ???  (in the news letter today)

Looks like a Toad to me...

Nope, guess again.

I have the say that the rest of the CAD for this item that I have been reviewing is looking pretty good, and that fact should give a slight hint to its origin...

• Like 2

Adams442, posted the CAD on the DJ Models Tiger Clay thread and I agree that it looks like an LSWR Road Van. The clincher for me is that at least one operated on the Bodmin branches from the late thirties and one is currently at the Bluebell Railway, so ideal for a Kernow model. I had hoped that there might be more progress on the diesels (10201/02/03) before any new commissions were started.

Just received the Kernow Newsletter showing the 00 Tiger wagons, with a basic CAD image and photos of the actual wagons intended for production.

Plus an intriguing CAD image of a new 00 item 'yet to be announced'.  Looks like a new Brake Van to me, but which one I confess I don't know.......

attachicon.gifunnamed.jpg

My first hought was Great WWestern, purely because the lamp brakets appear to be GWR style side ones, not rest of the world rear mounts.

My second thought was 'what the hell are those brake yokes all about?'

Jon

• RMweb Gold

Nope, guess again.

I have the say that the rest of the CAD for this item that I have been reviewing is looking pretty good, and that fact should give a slight hint to its origin...

Possibly not, say, Furness Railway, then.....

• RMweb Gold

That ticks the box for me!

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/wagon/5706.html

Godfrey

As it has an internal handbrake and long footboards plus what look like matching handrails and lamp irons together with buffers which match one of those on that prototype vehicle I think you and Rembrow may be right.  Doesn't interest me in the least - but I'd better buy one to go with my well tank I suppose as it probably accompanied it on its trial in the Welsh Valleys ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking at this example which is preserved on the Isle of Wight, there seems to be at least two different types of buffers fitted to these brake wagons - in preservation at least. Mike, I'm sure one would have been taken by the well tanks to every part of these islands!!

Godfrey

PS Sorry can't seem to get the link to the Isle of Wight Steam Railway to work properly, but there is a picture of one in SR livery in the wagons and departmental section.

Edited by Godfrey Glyn
  • Like 1

It's like I said then - a Toad - ish.

I wonder how many will Ker-mit to one of these ?

And will there be some free Frogs thrown in to make your own turnouts ? :)

Should it be a LSWR D 1541 I can retire my slightly off kilter Smallbrook resin version. Lovely. :no:

I am still waiting for Cambrian to tool up the D 1543 kit as many pictures of the Wenfordbridge clay trains appear to have the heavier D 1543 brake.

After checking Terry Gough's Pictoral Guide to Southern Wagons and Vans I am about 99% sure it is a D 1541 Brake Van. The side railings length and location match closely.   Now what livery will it come in?  Will the SR be large or small?

Edited by autocoach

A big 'Thumbs Up' to KMRC (and Royal Mail) from me! Placed an order with them online at about 1:00 AM last Friday morning ..... received an email at about 7:45 AM later that morning to say that the item had been packaged and was awaiting despatch ...... Royal Mail arrive at my door Saturday morning with said item! Not a bad turnaround at all!

Meanwhile a book I ordered from Amazon earlier the same evening (i.e. last Thursday) is still 'awaiting despatch' despite allegedly being in stock! I have pretty much given up with Amazon recently anyway but this could be the final nail in the coffin!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Having read KMRC's latest newsletter today, there is still no announcement of the mystery brake van of which we saw a cad cam of the underneath a couple of weeks ago. I am patiently waiting.

Cheers,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I am happy to record that another visit to the shop has matched all previous ones.  I was greeted by name, was engaged in conversation by several members of staff and came away with a bag of pre-ordered goodies which had waited my arrival.  I also came away with a bonus item not on my wanted list; the Bachmann inspection saloon was simply too good in the flesh to ignore and I hope the new stock of them arrives soon.  There being none left on the shelves I was most generously offered one set aside for a staff member.

There are some superb items about to appear from China and I have no doubt that watching this space (specifically their newsletter and Facebook / Twitter feeds) will delight many of us in moths and years to come.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Although I do prefer to use my local shops (Footplate and Modellers Mecca), I did visit Kernow Model Rail Shop while on my recent holiday to Perranporth. We made the trip into Cambourne especially. I came away with a Stanier 1st Brake, Peco Brake Van, Dapol 57xx and decoder to suit. I found the store to be very well organised, and the cabinets of locos made my choice really difficult. Signed up to the loyalty scheme, and gave the details to my Wife and Mom, well Christmas is coming.

Upon showing the purchases to my wife in the caravan, I realised I had been given the wrong decoder, so we called in on our way home, the gentleman had to pinch one from the DCC Fitting guys desk, as the other stock was at Swindon for an exhibition. Very impressed with the shop and service. 

• Like 3