Kernow Model Rail Shop

37pits

• RMweb Gold

I placed an order by phone the other day - and, not for the first time, found Kernow apologising for things entirely beyond their control. Last time it was about uncertain delivery dates of an item still in the development stage, this time it was about postage to France. In both cases I have made it clear that things are the way they are, and in both cases the chappie has been relieved by my attitude - apparently not all customers see it my way. FFS - what planet do such people inhabit?

My couple of visits to the shop accord with wollastonblue's experience. Loadsa stock - and very well displayed. Add in their brave procurement of models undreamed of elsewhere, and they deserve all the success they can get.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Being still on home soil another visit is scheduled for next week.  I already know there are some wagons waiting.  With very limited carrying capacity that might be all I come away with this time.  But I also have a good many commissions pre-ordered to look forward to.

I'm glad I can't visit - they're producing so much that I want (1361, 02, LSWR gatestock and road van) I think I'll be spending more with Kernow in the future than I will with the leading RTR manufacturers. I just can't imagine what else I'd end up with if I visited in person! No chance of a "pop-up" shop in Cardiff is there?

Linners

• RMweb Gold

Being still on home soil another visit is scheduled for next week.  I already know there are some wagons waiting.  With very limited carrying capacity that might be all I come away with this time.  But I also have a good many commissions pre-ordered to look forward to.

Throw out some clothes, you can always get new clothes when you get home :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

I'm glad I can't visit - they're producing so much that I want (1361, 02, LSWR gatestock and road van) I think I'll be spending more with Kernow in the future than I will with the leading RTR manufacturers. I just can't imagine what else I'd end up with if I visited in person! No chance of a "pop-up" shop in Cardiff is there?

Linners

Nice...but you have an excellent retailer in Cardiff in the form of Lord & Butler.Sorry if I'm off topic on this one but in fairness to them,I couldn't let that one pass by.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not sure how this happened but just rang Kernow to enquire about something unrelated and by the end of the call had ordered an O2......probably down to the manner of the chap I was speaking to. Really nice guy, professional and knowledgeable and above all, interested in both his products and his customer.

Spot on.

Right then, where's the family silver.......

Rob

• Like 1

Nice...but you have an excellent retailer in Cardiff in the form of Lord & Butler.Sorry if I'm off topic on this one but in fairness to them,I couldn't let that one pass by.

No, you're spot on about Lord and Butler, it's just a case of wanting what I can't have! I'd still love to visit Kernow, maybe if I'm in Cornwall one day. But if there are any Cornish folk (dare I call you Piskies?) thinking of visiting Cardiff, do give Lord and Butler a visit!

Linners

Like many expats, I deal mainly with Kernow through the "net". Always provide good reliable service. Have managed 2 visits though in 2008 and 2013, both very enjoyable.

One thing not mentioned is that just across the road is a lovely craft shop that my wife heads straight for, so we can both have fun!

• Like 2

Well done Kernow !  The announcement that I've been waiting for in their latest newsletter. The LSWR Road Van. I have ordered five of them. Just the ticket for my 1930's Southern layout.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

How can I persuade them to make a class 375/377 Electrostar?

How many spare drinking vouchers do you have? ;)

Personally there would be a home here for a pair of well-represented Southern 377s (ideally the 377/1 or 377/4 types) but I don't anticipate having to afford them any time soon.

Kernow's newsletter today made mention of one steam and one diesel announcement at Warley - nothing electric.

• RMweb Gold

The latest photo on Kernow's Facebook page shows a pair of Radial tanks...................

And recent Kernow teases might just make us think there is no smoke without fire. Not least because elsewhere in RMweb there is talk of an Oz entrepreneur working with a UK contact to manufacture just such a loco......

Kernow have always been scrupulously honest regarding their own model range and their 'teasers' have been to tempt us prior to an official announcement. I can't see any other reason for them showing photos of the Adams Radials with no apparent reason, unless they intend to produce them. I suspect they intended to announce the model at Warley, as Chris already advised in his new weekly blog last Friday, that they were announcing two new models at this years Warley, as already detailed by Gwiwer, one being steam and one diesel. I'd lay money at odds on, that the potential Austrains + UK partner interest in a model of the Radial after the Kirtley 0-6-0s, has brought forward Chris's announcement in order to alert the other maker to a competing interest. Well that's my hope anyway, certainly the Radial fits with Kernow's model profile of prototypes that worked in the west country

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

certainly the Radial fits with Kernow's model profile of prototypes that worked in the west country

And has consistently been one of the most-requested types not hitherto offered as RtR.  I wonder if Friday's newsletter might bring forth more detail or perhaps just another teaser.

• RMweb Gold

Kernow have always been scrupulously honest regarding their own model range and their 'teasers' have been to tempt us prior to an official announcement. I can't see any other reason for them showing photos of the Adams Radials with no apparent reason, unless they intend to produce them. I suspect they intended to announce the model at Warley, as Chris already advised in his new weekly blog last Friday, that they were announcing two new models at this years Warley, as already detailed by Gwiwer, one being steam and one diesel. I'd lay money at odds on, that the potential Austrains + UK partner interest in a model of the Radial after the Kirtley 0-6-0s, has brought forward Chris's announcement in order to alert the other maker to a competing interest. Well that's my hope anyway, certainly the Radial fits with Kernow's model profile of prototypes that worked in the west country

In view of the time Kernow spend on detailed research and ascertaining costs etc prior to making a public announcement I would think that the Warley announcement was planned some time before the news from Austrains, which in any case seems to be more of the 'we would like to do a radial next' variety rather than a firm commitment to go ahead with a fully researched model covering more than one of the final three class members.

And, as Rembrow has pointed out, moving on to the radial fits very much into Kernow's West of England oriented theme - progressing beyond Cornwall into Devon seems to me to be as much a natural progression as anything else (were there ever any railways in the Scilly Isles?).

Far more teasing, and cause for possible frothing. is the announcement of 'something diesel' with no clues at all so far as to what it might be.  Fortunately the Fell never got to the Western but then - just thinking aloud for a moment - the kerosene 'Castle' got to Plymouth, hmm ... (ooops, forgot - it isn't a diesel, sorry)  :jester: 

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1