Train spotting at Finsbury Square

31A

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Oldddudders said:

This is watchmaker's work - brilliant!

You are too kind, I wouldn't go that far!  But it wasn't easy fitting it all in, and when it came to installing it on the layout I was glad the post with the connections on is near the front of the baseboard.

• Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, acg5324 said:

French sausage and bean stew? Good swop!

OFF TOPIC

Cassoulet surely and I'd be pretty disappointed if I only got sausage and beans in one. A good cassoulet  contains so much more (and is one of my favourite dishes)  A cassoulet looks like dinner whereas a cassowary looks like a dinosaur, mostly because it is one so mixing them up could be fatal. A cassoulet may include dinosaur meat (chicken, goose or duck) and generally dinosaur fat (goose) but never in my experience any cassowary meat- which it should not as they're threatened species. It was also said, in the days when nobody worried about eating endangered species, that a cassowary should be cooked with a stone. When the stone was ready to eat so was the cassowary

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

I had a nice cassoulet in Carcassonne once.

Anyway, stews and dinosaurs not withstanding, did somebody mention emus?  I'm not one to bury my head in the sand:

IMG_5627.jpeg.29ffad4b6eb1de45407465f2994f22e5.jpeg

The Guard can't believe his eyes either!

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
Just now, 31A said:

Anyway, stews and dinosaurs not withstanding, did somebody mention emus?  I'm not one to bury my head in the sand:

1930s Northern Heights stuff!

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 31A said:

Very nice Steve,

Is that an EFE static model or one of the new EFE/Bachmann motorised jobs?

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, 46444 said:

Very nice Steve,

Is that an EFE static model or one of the new EFE/Bachmann motorised jobs?

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark, just a static one I'm afraid, and I've only got that one car.

I don't really intend to have working Tube trains, but I did have a rather daft idea involving them.  Through the wall behind the platform end buffer stops is a built in wardrobe on the landing and I toyed with the idea of extending the Platforms 3 & 4 lines (the ones in that picture) through a hole in the wall and onto a shelf in the wardrobe, and having a tube train shuttle running in and out!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Steve,

It still looks very nice and in an appropriate setting.

I saw the new EFE models in Monk Bar Models, York a while back and was almost tempted!  

I do like the consideration of a working Underground line.

Almost shades of the famous Railway Modeller April Fools Underground article from many years ago.

The one where the layout went through walls and under the floor boards. 

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, manna said:

G'Day Folks

At least the real Underground tubes did travel through the 'Cross' via the drain.

manna

They did!  I'd need to get a couple of Battery Locos for that, though.  Actually could be a good way of running tube trains on non electrified lines.....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 31A said:

Yes could be!  Or somewhere on the Central Line, given the N7? 

Suggestions of the line out to Ongar.

November 78 Modeller featured a layout called Epton based on the Central line out to Epping, it included scratch built tube trains and kit built F5s, N7s etc. As a teenager I helped operate it at a few exhibitions. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The gantry is superb Steve, as others have said!

Is that one of a latest EFE tubes? I too have just one, inherited and pretty old, perhaps from when they first did them and from memory (it's been put away ages) it's not so detailed. Also, yours appears to have working lights in front, or is that a trick of the light?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

There's always this idea

DSCF5132.JPG.68d10ac4d66fc89b73797c12ce300d88.JPG

Geoff Ashdown's EM Tower Pier layout. The District Line train doesn't actually move (but I used to commute on the District and that wasn't unusual) but neither do the passengers on the platforms nor the vehicles on the bridge. Even though it's purely cosmetic it is suprisingly effective.

Yes, nice idea that!  I wonder how I could fit in something like that.  To be honest I'm not really a fan of static trains ON bridges, but that one under a bridge does look good.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Thanks so much Steve for letting us all invade your layout this evening. Very impressive 

Andi

You're very welcome Andi, I'm glad you liked it!

Apologies for the operator errors on my part - it isn't usually like that, honestly!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Steve,

I believe 69814 went to the cross to haul sleeper ECS which the N2s struggled with over the Ferme Park flyover. I don’t think the trial was a great success as it didn’t last long!

Andy

Thanks Andy, yes I think that's the gist of what Peter Townend said in his book; apparently even the L1s weren't quite up to that task so they cast around for other powerful tank engines to try to find a solution.  I suppose not long afterwards, dieselisation would have provided the answer.

Anyway, it was a good excuse to buy the model!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, 31A said:

Thanks Andy, yes I think that's the gist of what Peter Townend said in his book; apparently even the L1s weren't quite up to that task so they cast around for other powerful tank engines to try to find a solution.  I suppose not long afterwards, dieselisation would have provided the answer.

Anyway, it was a good excuse to buy the model!

Yes, I have a half built 52f kit with the same excuse!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

G'Day Folks

I seem to recall the the A5 was also used on the Royston stoppers.

As for the problems all loco's seem to have on the Hertford flyover, they should have kept the old R1 0-8-2T tank engines, they never stuck.

manna

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, manna said:

I seem to recall the the A5 was also used on the Royston stoppers.

Thanks; I have seen a picture of it in the Suburban Station at the Cross so I assumed it was probably used on passenger trains as well as the ECS of the Sleepers; at least that helps justify my excuse for having it!

As for the R1s, unfortunately long gone by then but I think (without digging the book out to check) Peter Townend suggested they try an ex GW eight coupled tank but the 'authorities' didn't go for it!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1