Collett 'Bow Ended' Standard 57' Corridor Stock Coaches for 2016

Graham_Muz

The sides were masked and then the roof sprayed with Lifecolor roof dirt, the burned black to add a bit of variety.

Very nice, and the piping for the vacuum and /or steam heating seems well worth the effort.  Just that delicacy makes a model.

Not MIB any longer then? :yes:  

Edited by HowardGWR

Visible on the picture above, on the top right of the carriage just below the roof sign, there is a symbol. Can someone enlighten me as to its purpose? I note some carriages have one but others two

Thanks

David

It is the seating capacity. Thirds only have one but comps will have two.

Here is the clearest one I have myself .

post-9992-0-93990500-1457295933.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

Hornby have hit a six with these (at least IMO), lovely models and very reasonably priced given the quality and the prices of other high end coach models. Nice to have some coaches up to the standards of the super detailed GWR locomotives that have been released. I know we also have the very excellent Hawksworth stock too but despite being a GWR design the timing of their delivery with the nationalisation of the big four meant they were a BR coach in reality.

Visible on the picture above, on the top right of the carriage just below the roof sign, there is a symbol. Can someone enlighten me as to its purpose? I note some carriages have one but others two

Thanks

David

Mike Wiltshire

Further to Mike's post, here's a shot of Centenary First Diner 9635 as built:—

post-26141-0-55610800-1457329622_thumb.jpg

This shows that it had seating for 24 First Class passengers.

Thirds sat 8 to a compartment & Firsts sat 6, so the rule for compartment stock is:

Thirds — 3/(8 x Number of compartments)

Firsts — 1/(6 x Number of compartments)

Emergency seating (like the tip-up seats in the van of Trailers) is not included.

It looks like the coach in Mike's photo had 4 Firsts & 3 Thirds

On the real thing, each number is 1" high with a 3/16" drop shadow, so much respect to Hornby for pulling this off in 4mm.

This is the artwork for use on 7371 at Didcot at some point:—

post-26141-0-62063900-1457331186_thumb.png

2 x 1st - 4 x 3rd.

As far as I can tell from studying photos, the seat allocation numbers came into use sometime during the Lake period - possibly post WW1; if anyone can narrow that date down it'd be much appreciated.

Pete S.

Edited by K14
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here is the clearest one I have myself .

attachicon.gifToplight E98 6943b.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

This photo emphasises the missing glazing bar on the lavatory windows. I have attempted to add these on my BR versions, where it is more noticeable in the cream : it adds a little regional character, but it isn't so noticeable in the mahogany.post-21027-0-88573700-1457348663_thumb.jpeg
  • Like 3

Gerry,

Were there many in that condition post war with the GWR over crest and single lining?

With my first batch of 4 due to be ordered this week, I'm dreading adding the extra brown band and additional lining

post-2249-0-76644700-1457354625_thumb.jpg

post-2249-0-34608200-1457354592_thumb.jpg

My coach is finished in GWR livery of circa 1943.  I don't think too many coaches were finished in this way before the adoption of Hawksworth double waist lining but a few examples are to be found in the various Jim Russell books although not nessecarily a Bow Ended Bk 3rd - it just depends on how fussy you are!  Photos of GWR coaches in the 1940s are not exactly common bit it is quite likely that a Bk 3rd was painted in this way.

You may find the attached photos of interest although they are of the very early BR period.  Again photos of coaches in that period are rare - especially in colour - but livery variations are easily identified.  Note the coach in the foreground in the train at Leamington has double waist lining, GWR initials instead of 'Great Western' but no brown panel and lining at cantrail level.  As an aside the photo of the train, whilst not of the best quality - being somewhat under exposed - does show the general appearence of GWR stock at this period and shows the considerable variation in the shade of both cream and brown.  There is simply no need to be too pedantic about getting the exact shades - there is a world of difference between a freshly painted and varnished coach and one that has been in traffic for years and has became faded and worn.  David Jenkinsons book on the Big Four in Colour has some useful pre-war views of passenger trains in colour in the 1930s so it was not just a result of poor wartime and austerity era maintainence.

Hope this is of help.

Edited by Bulwell Hall
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

For those of a 'wider gauge persuasion' conversion is a doddle with drop in wheelsets. The whole thing comes apart very easily (useful for adding passengers) and all that is required to fit P4 wheels is to either cut off the brake shoes or just bend/tweak them out of the way of the flanges. The plastic is very soft and bendable. If a 'proper job' is desired the brake shoe moulding will separate from the chassis frame and new ones can be made and fitted.

This was a first effort, quickly done without much 'finesse'! A little more care should give good results.

Black Beetles were used and now spin nicely.

One would wish that Hornby had made the Maunsells as easy!

post-6728-0-10255700-1457357970_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-37272400-1457357986_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-41491500-1457358029_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-15702700-1457358065_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

My coach is finished in GWR livery of circa 1943.  I don't think too many coaches were finished in this way before the adoption of Hawksworth double waist lining but a few examples are to be found in the various Jim Russell books although not nessecarily a Bow Ended Bk 3rd - it just depends on how fussy you are!  Photos of GWR coaches in the 1940s are not exactly common bit it is quite likely that a Bk 3rd was painted in this way.

You may find the attached photos of interest although they are of the very early BR period. 

Hope this is of help.

Very interesting thanks, based on that I think I will have at least one with double lining and gwr over crest, and one with the single lining (while the other two will end up with the full Hawksworth livery, assuming that Hornby don't end up doing it in their 2017 plans). At any rate the amount of coaches I have which are in need of lining, if I don't master the technique there will be problems!

For those of a 'wider gauge persuasion' conversion is a doddle with drop in wheelsets. The whole thing comes apart very easily (useful for adding passengers) and all that is required to fit P4 wheels is to either cut off the brake shoes or just bend/tweak them out of the way of the flanges. The plastic is very soft and bendable. If a 'proper job' is desired the brake shoe moulding will separate from the chassis frame and new ones can be made and fitted.

This was a first effort, quickly done without much 'finesse'! A little more care should give good results.

This is useful to know.  However, I am minded to treat my P4 version to sprung bogies!  I'm also glad that Gerry (Bulwell Hall) has posted his improvements here.  The model is good enough to be worth improving.

Chris

This photo emphasises the missing glazing bar on the lavatory windows. I have attempted to add these on my BR versions, where it is more noticeable in the cream : it adds a little regional character, but it isn't so noticeable in the mahogany.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Neat!  Bear in mind, folks, that not all C54s had this feature.

Chris

Hooray. My pre-order for two six coach rakes has finally been delivered to the shop by Hornsby. Should be with me soon. At last I'll get to handle what all the rest of you have been drooling over for what feels like weeks.

Haven't seen any formal reviews of these yet. Although they do look like the best so far. And how good of Hornby to model both right and left handed versions of the brakes and composites.

• RMweb Gold

Hooray. My pre-order for two six coach rakes has finally been delivered to the shop by Hornsby. Should be with me soon. At last I'll get to handle what all the rest of you have been drooling over for what feels like weeks.

Haven't seen any formal reviews of these yet. Although they do look like the best so far. And how good of Hornby to model both right and left handed versions of the brakes and composites.

Reviewed in this months RM - Very positive.

• RMweb Gold

Having just returned from my brief sojourn overseas, I was delighted to see that my my delivery from Hornby had arrived - beautifully packed I may add (not a polystyrene wotsit in sight). The coaches are absolute beauties.

It is well worth noting that every single variant of both liveries - aside both the chocolate and cream composites - are all listed as being "Sold Out" or "Out of Stock" (not sure what the difference in terms means) on the Hornby website. Casting around some of the box shifters that list real-time stock levels on their website, they are mainly down to single figures of each coach too.

All I can say is wow!

CoY

Having just returned from my brief sojourn overseas, I was delighted to see that my my delivery from Hornby had arrived - beautifully packed I may add (not a polystyrene wotsit in sight). The coaches are absolute beauties.

My 4 Colletts arrived from Hornby in carton about the size of a small refrigerator with polystyrene pellets, so from my last four purchases from them I now have enough to pellets to poison about 1,000 square miles of ocean or make a significant contribution to non-biodegradable landfill. They are actually quite hard to dispose of.

It does mitigate against damaged contents, except they place the item on the bottom of the carton, not in the middle.

The coaches are lovely to look at, I agree.

It is well worth noting that every single variant of both liveries - aside both the chocolate and cream composites - are all listed as being "Sold Out" or "Out of Stock" (not sure what the difference in terms means) on the Hornby website. Casting around some of the box shifters that list real-time stock levels on their website, they are mainly down to single figures of each coach too.

All I can say is wow!

CoY

This must be good news for Hornby. Assuming a sensible number of each were made in the first place. It just goes to show that there is a demand for good great western coaching stock. Let's hope if Hornby makes it through its current problems that this will encourage further variants and the long wished for non corridor stock.

Mine finally arrived this morning. ☺