Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

Taking us onward to this pic:

10851902296_04251d454b_c.jpgPeckett Loco Vanguard at Brereton Sidings after pit closure by John, on Flickr

Which goes to show that crimes against Pecketts did take place in later years.

The same loco features on the cover of a recent book, judging by the attire it's some 30-40 years earlier than the pic you posted (I like the horizontal handrail on the cab back so it'll get that plus a tarp).

Arsenal.jpg

• Like 6

Did any W4 pecketts see service with the NCB?

Yup, the one in the post above at least. It was owned by Brereton Colliery from 1920 so ultimately would have passed to NCB ownership and latterly worked (but not liveried as such) at Cannock Wood Colliery and lasted until 1962.

• Like 1

Did any W4 pecketts see service with the NCB?

At least 3 survived into NCB ownership in Co. Durham but they were rebuilt by Ridley Shaw in 1930 so what they looked like after that date is anybodies guess. But a fantastic excuse for modellers license.  I've never managed to source a photo of any of them despite one working at my local colliery. The example that worked at the colliery I used to attend was scrapped five years before I was born but get this: with a bit more licence it could have to delivered coal to the coal drops at the village's brewery.

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/434143/535926/12/100615

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

I originally had all 3 on pre order, but a slight issue with employment (namely me somewhat suddenly not having any) I actually thought I was going to miss out on these, was both spectacular and disheartening seeing the speed with which they were hoovered up from the model shops!! However, With much thanks due to my parents for tracking one down for me for Christmas, my H&P Peckett turned up yesterday, and it really is an exquisite little thing :-) Once the chaos and libations of tonights annual send off are out the way, I'll make a start on an industrial plank for it to play on :-)

post-11486-0-95889400-1483187845_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bit of an echo going on in here.  :wink_mini:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/103556-Hornby-announce-peckett-w4-0-4-0st/page-53&do=findComment&comment=2551112

Funny. Mine measure 1.99mm over the smooth diameter.  (Moore & Wright calibrated micrometer) Exactly the same as a Gibson 2.00mm axle. Have you tried slipping the bearings over a piece of 2.00mm silver steel rod?

P

Apologies. Didn't read the thread properly!

I haven't yet pulled the wheels apart so thanks for that measurement.

Just got my two MSC versions. Absolutely beautiful little models. The only slight criticism is the plastic whistle on the cab roof as they;re quite flimsy. Just ordered two Markits NE whistles to replace them. Mine will both be getting the number 11's taken off and named once the Narrow Planet pates arrive.

• Like 1

On the axles diameter they do read 1.99mm +/- .01, which is normal for stock mild steel, to get 2mm dead would need 2mm precision ground grade steel or precision ground grade Stainless Steel. The steel used as standard appears to be supplied drawn straight type, not ground. The tyres are brass, which is nickel chromed finish, plated on.

If the Hornby wheels are converted to P4 the tyre should be machined down to allow a new tyre to slip over the brass rim. The re tyred wheel should then be set in a collet or split chuck to drill out the centre to about 3mm and a brass bush araditted in and the axle hole drilled with a centre drill, then a 1.9mm drill, followed by a 2mm reamer, which can be home made, to ensure an accurate hole which will fit new 2mm axles.

They should just fit, and after the bearings are slipped on, with the gears, the axles ends are roll roughened with a file to allow pressing on with Loctite. Allowing an axle end to be run against a file expands the size like micro knurling does.

No changes are needed for EM only P4/S4 uses, and absolutely no changes are needed for 16.5mm.

• Like 1

What sort of motor have Hornby put in this loco ? (Sorry if this has already been asked)

It is a generic design 3 pole motor, there is space to fit other types. Hornby dropped fitting the flywheel shown in the service sheets. It could be refitted as long as DCC is not required in the space, which is very tight.

• RMweb Premium

I was not going to get a Peckett, but the last one in the shop at Alresford on the Mid Hants Railway begged me to buy it so I am now the proud owner of No. 11. What a beautiful loco, it also insisted I buy the Maroon Wickham Trolley as they had become friends while on the shelf! It is a good thing my wife is in Croatia until next Wednesday!

• Like 1

Oh no! What have I done?

attachicon.gifPeckettMedalling-025-Sm.jpg

Dunno if it's any help to anyone.

P

Not to me personally but that shows that the buffer beams and domes are seperate parts. Hornby already do two types of dome so if they produce the alternative buffer beams the next batch of Pecketts may include works number 810, otherwise known as British Railways No.1

• RMweb Premium

What is this? A high quality version of Percy without name and number!

Looking nice.

I understood that Percy was an Avonside loco that had been rebuilt by Hunslet - most distinctively, his saddle tank doesn't extend forward to cover the smokebox. The Fat Controller "went to an Engine Workshop, and they showed him all sorts of Tank Engines". Given the difficult motive power situation he was facing, the situation was pressing so a day trip from Sodor to Leeds seems much more likely than the longer journey to Bristol.

• Like 2