Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

It really does depend on the level of detail/compromise you're willing to accept - matters like this are down to the individual modeler, thus cannot be "put to bed" as you suggest.

To put it simply: Industrial railways are what I model. I want to be able to portray small locomotives built by a variety of British (careful now..) locomotive manufacturers going about their business in an industrial setting. Moreover, much like many mainline modelers, I want to model specific locomotives in a fixed era, with any modifications received during their working lives. Prototypical appearance is therefore very important to me and if I'm to buy a rtr industrial loco it had better be able to stand side by side with my kit built models. In this regard, the Hattons AB falls a little short of making me "wow" I'm afraid. 

Of course, I am accepting that I am in the minority. I would remind people that seeing as this is a forum - different opinions/approaches should be valued. I won't be ordering one, but I wish Hattons every success with the model. Such a venture deserves to do well, though personally I think it's a shame that the execution is not 100%.

Paul A. 

Since most people are compromising on the distance between the rails, and the length of facilities in order to fit something into the average semi, I doubt this will cause a problem to the vast majority. 

Maybe a picture of one, on a layout with a half dozen wagons, showing how small this loco is in the scheme of things, and from even a close view no one will be able to see the bottom of the boiler, let alone know it’s straight.

Yes, it would be good to see some photos of it in context. It's hard to visualise something you're not already familiar with without some external frame of reference.

• RMweb Gold

Can someone convince me I wouldnt be better-off cancelling my order with Hattons and going the Mercian Models route?

Not really, if this rankles then it's going to continue to do so and you probably are better off with a kit than hacking this up. RTR offers convenience with minor compromises for mass production and may well lead to more helpful products for industrial modellers. Kits still have something to offer though if you want specific locos, ultra detail and compensation.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One thing that the RTR Andrew Barclay will hopefully provide, based on Andy York's positive review above, is good, reliable running (he said it was, if anything, even better than the Peckett, and that is sublime in terms of slow, smooth running straight out of the box).

For a small shunting loco, smooth slow running must count for a lot.

Can you still get these?

The Mercian Models Barclays? Not at the moment.

I bought the very last late type 16" kit earlier this year and Trevor had only one left of the earlier type of 16". I spoke to him last week and although the 14" is totally out of stock and out of production, he intends to bring out an all-new 14" kit, next year.

A pair of hefty springs on each axle?

Oh yes indeedee, twas a rhetorical question, but they too help conceal the darker truth that this so-called steam engine is actually run by electricity  :jester:

Given how tight the space over the interface seems to be, any chance of seeing the amount of space inside the other side of the tank for the actual chip- I have a nasty feeling that some just might not go....

Les

It's engineered so that a 6-pin decoder such as this should just replace the blanking plug and fit in the area over the chassis without going into the tank area - http://www.hattons.co.uk/24356/Gaugemaster_Controls_DCC23_6_pin_2_function_1A_2A_peak_decoder_suitable_for_N_gauge_/StockDetail.aspx

• RMweb Gold

It's engineered so that a 6-pin decoder such as this should just replace the blanking plug and fit in the area over the chassis without going into the tank area - http://www.hattons.co.uk/24356/Gaugemaster_Controls_DCC23_6_pin_2_function_1A_2A_peak_decoder_suitable_for_N_gauge_/StockDetail.aspx

We've recently released our own 6-pin decoder which was designed with both the P Class and Andrew Barclay locomotives in mind - http://www.hattons.co.uk/317519/Hattons_DCR_6PIN_Direct_6_pin_2_function_1_1Amp_direct_plug_decoder_with_back_EMF/StockDetail.aspx

Cheers,

Dave

We've recently released our own 6-pin decoder which was designed with both the P Class and Andrew Barclay locomotives in mind - http://www.hattons.co.uk/317519/Hattons_DCR_6PIN_Direct_6_pin_2_function_1_1Amp_direct_plug_decoder_with_back_EMF/StockDetail.aspx

Cheers,

Dave

Already bought one  all I need now is the Barclay which is on order !

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for that. I don't know how long the boat takes but I would have thought shipping them overland on the Silk Road train would be a touch of class.

Costs more, and how would you ever know it’s gone by rail, it’s not going to arrive at a crowded station and be offloaded by a Porter from the guards van. It’s just another container delivered the last miles of its journey by road, same as any other.

Edited by adb968008