Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

Where racehorses are concerned, nearly anything goes, although Mary Hinge and Joe Blob did get thrown out as unsuitable names, I think, after each had raced. Captain Cuttle sounds ok to me - I look at A3 names and see ones I like less.

Yer chap with the case may have taken it in the office with him before travelling - and a colleague has helpfully added something heavy without mentioning the fact. Just wait 'til he gets to the hotel and finds an anvil inside!

• Like 2

One effect I do get which is just like photos of the real thing is that everything outside the roof is totally burnt out, cameras back then being even more unable to cope with the sudden huge change in light than mine is now.

Gilbert, one way of overcoming this is to take the shot under the roof as you did above, then without moving the camera, take a second shot that is exposed for the outside then join the two shots together.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, one way of overcoming this is to take the shot under the roof as you did above, then without moving the camera, take a second shot that is exposed for the outside then join the two shots together.

Thanks Larry, something else I've learned about photography. Actually though I don't mind this shot, as it looks rather like the view below.post-98-0-87903700-1366657273_thumb.jpg

Photo courtesy of and copyright of Andrew.C, Ingram.

Just about every contemporary photo I've seen looks like this, so I'm happy with something which looks like what I'd have got if I'd taken it back then, if you see what I mean.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

The inside looks really authentic. Bloke with suitcase has been in station buffet/bar. There is a woman having hysterics on one of the benches having seen FF for the umpteenth time. :stinker:

Quack. 

No Phil, she's just tipped the seat back in the hope of having a nice nap. :no:  Trust you to notice that. :threaten:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, what's that, er, thing hanging from the roof in the photo above please?  Another signalling mystery?  Or just a repeater of some sort?  Looks like an old clock hanging there!

edit for manners.

Edited by New Haven Neil

• RMweb Gold

Gilbert, what's that, er, thing hanging from the roof in the photo above please?  Another signalling mystery?  Or just a repeater of some sort?  Looks like an old clock hanging there!

edit for manners.

Looks to me like an "off" indicator, provided for platform staff to know when they may despatch the train where they may not be able to see the signal. It repeats the signal indication simply by showing "off" when the signal is thus.

• Like 4

Does Captain Cuttle qualify as the most inappropriate name of all?

No, that would be Pretty Polly :sarcastichand:  Run a close second by HST power car 'Tops of the Pops' (if that 'counts'?!)

Great pix GN, I love the first one. And judging by the prototype picture you posted I think you can enjoy yourself yet awhile adding further platform detail ;) .

• Like 1

In the photograph by Andrew. C, Ingram ,  am I right in assuming that the scaffolding was erected to enable work to be carried out on the roof or was the roof in such a bad condition at the time of the photograph that the scaffolding was to prevent the roof falling down onto the platforms. There seems enough scaffolding there to make S.G.B. a very rich company.

Regards, Derek.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Phil,

not wishing to be rude, but are you sure. I looked at it for several minutes before I posted, but was still undecided.

Regards, Derek.

Phil is right Derek. I have 1930's photos which look exactly the same, though I can't post them because of copyright. They are a bit clearer and sharper too - definitely the roof supports.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is that picture the exact same location as the modern platform 2 and 3, or has it been shifted at some point?

Platform 2 remains as it was, but I'm not sure about 3. If there is any of it left it has been heavily cut back.

• RMweb Premium

Platform 2 remains as it was, but I'm not sure about 3. If there is any of it left it has been heavily cut back.

And, of course, it is all changing even as this topic progresses. All the existing platforms are to be extended to cope with 12 coach trains, that is the current platforms 2, 3, 4 and 5. The side walls for 6 and 7 are in place, the footbridge has been extended and the support pillar for the extension of the Post Office ramp is being built.

Platform 1 (the south bay) will be lifted and filled in, the current platform 2 will become platform 1, 3 will become 2 and a new platform 3 will be created on the up fast. The new waiting rooms on 2/3 (new numbers) are being built, the bases are currently under construction.

There is a lot of PW work going on to the north to reconfigure the station throat to give access to all platforms as well as the new goods line(s) to the west.

Having said all that the GN Hotel walling is recognisable and can be related to Gilberts lovely model as can one or two other bits and bobs (but not much). If I am right the GPO Sorting Office (now demolished) was built on railway land when the site was redeveloped in the 1960's getting rid of so much that we would now value.

This model of something we have lost is a wonderful piece of work and gives those of us unfortunate enough to have not seen the original a very good idea of how it once appeared.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like another visit to the present Peterborough is in order! It is a bit boring for freight though so I might combine it with a rove (is 'rove' a word?) around the Lincolnshire branches or a trundle on the NVR.

P @ 36E

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like another visit to the present Peterborough is in order! It is a bit boring for freight though so I might combine it with a rove (is 'rove' a word?) around the Lincolnshire branches or a trundle on the NVR.

P @ 36E

I think you might mean roam Phil, but anyway, ducks flap.

• Like 1

Is there going to be prize for the 300,000th visitor to this thread? Maybe ask Andy Y to stump up a magazine subscription or something!!!!

Amazing numbers really. Definitely one of the best layouts on this forum.

Phil is right Derek. I have 1930's photos which look exactly the same, though I can't post them because of copyright. They are a bit clearer and sharper too - definitely the roof supports.

Phil,I owe you an apology. Must confess I am amazed that all the weight of metal did not cause the structure to collapse.

However don't get too complacent "DUCK" and venture along the Grantham Canal as my Border Collie will give you a severe  shortage of feathers on my command. :laugh:  :laugh:

Edited by CUTLER2579
  • Like 1

Hello Gilbert

I will be in the UK on a holiday shortly and was wondering if it is possible to arrange a visit to see Peterborough?  I am a long term LNER/ER modeller living in South Australia.

My email address is aem02457@bigpond.net.au

Regards

Woodcock29

• RMweb Premium

You may have noticed that it is an unprecedently long time since I posted any photos on here. Brief reasons - since last time  days have been occupied by, golf, golf, golf,golf, golf, down South for little brother's 60th birthday, recovering from little brother's birthday, doing all the stuff I should have been doing, visit to Dave Shakespeare, and yet more golf.

The only day that had anything to do with railways was Wednesday, when I went to Dave's. I had mentioned to him that I struggled to make a decent cassette, his immediate reaction being that when the weather warmed up I should come over and we could make some using his much better woodworking equipment. Now of course he is in the middle of fortnightly chemotherapy and various other unpleasant procedures, some of which I have experienced myself.  They don't leave you feeeling like doing much, if anything, but I was told to present myself, and off we went. I didn't expect we would be able to do much, and by the time an hour and a half or so had passed Dave was very tired indeed, so we called a halt for lunch. I didn't expect he would be able to do any more, but after a rest he came roaring back, and we completed all the ones I had prepared, and more. :O So I now have 15 cassettes, much better than my own first effort. That folks is what you get from a true friend, and a truly remarkable man. Thanks so much Dave, I still can't believe you managed to do all that.

A few shots below of the results, with the cassettes placed where I think they will be stored. I now need to make some racks for them to sit on. Last shot is a cassette in situ. They all need to be aligned now, and the last few inches of track pinned down. The other job is to find a way of temporarily blocking off the open end of the cassette when lifting it on and off the layout. Any suggestions as to a cheap and quick method of doing this would be much appreciated.

post-98-0-82314400-1367574878_thumb.jpgpost-98-0-72536400-1367574897_thumb.jpgpost-98-0-56415200-1367574916_thumb.jpg

I might be able to take a few photos of trains later, but no promises, as I am expecting a call to say that my new golf clubs have arrived. If they do, I shall have to go and try them out, in readiness for yet another competition tomorrow.

• Like 15

Gilbert,

I think Mallard's velcro suggestion has merit, cheap, simple and uncomplicated.

Thanks for the plaudits, it was nice to get some work done for once, I've since mowed the lawn on both houses and sorted out the bar b q ready for the mass invasion of Shakespeare's on Saturday.

have a good weekend.

Dave

• Like 4