Peterborough North

great northern

Nice to see Deltic getting in on the act, an honorary steam loco if ever there was one and she gave birth to the only real successors to Gresley and Peppercorn's masterpieces. I admire the HST's and current electric power)  I do like to see the odd early diesel at P. North though and they did give us spotters a bit of excitement at the time.

After your visit to Mansfield you'll be in some serious need for modelling therapy so I look forward to seeing some more images from the end of the platforms.

Dave

Thanks Gilbert, these postings keep the necessary creative juices flowing until I get back into the railway room, we British; complain when it's raining, again when it's too cold and now it's so sunny I feel compelled to get the road bike out for a ride, the mower for grass cutting and then washing the cars, never satisfied but at least I haven't descended to playing golf although the barbecue sounds good!

I do like the way your clever camera lens's force the perspective and give the illusion of distance, Crescent  Bridge appears much further away than I know it is all good stuff and proof that good photography can actually enhance an already excellent layout, it can be a bit cruel at times though as we have all discovered.

I will try and make a quality control visit as soon as I can, we don't want standards slipping.

Dave

• Like 4

Off to golf now. What again, I hear you cry. Well yes, but at least I won't get either frozen or soaked today, it's only nine holes, and there is a barbecue afterwards. :sungum:

Very best of luck with those right angle shots!! Hope none materialised. A golfers worst nightmare..... :mad_mini:  in fact it even frightens me to write about them. :heat:

Edited by millerhillboy

• RMweb Gold

Very best of luck with those right angle shots!! Hope none materialised. A golfers worst nightmare..... :mad_mini:  in fact it even frightens me to write about them. :heat:

Four! [Cue images of golfers crouching behind their bags/trolleys - only to see the errant white orb miss them by 50 yards]

• RMweb Premium

Four! [Cue images of golfers crouching behind their bags/trolleys - only to see the errant white orb miss them by 50 yards]

They would be in least danger if they stood in line with where I was aiming........most of the time.

Excellent finish on that B17, when I was very small my father used to take me to Liverpool Street, so I've always had a liking for the Sandys. More please!

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

Another of Tim's regular visits has just ended, and there have been developments. :O  I'll let you in on this exciting news later, when I have a bit more time, but for now here is a shot of the latest new arrival.attachicon.gif30.jpg

Tim had two more B17's waiting to assume new identitiies, but there is a hold up while he gets his hands on appropriate smokebox doors for the locos I want, so I decided to try to find one which would be right with the current Hornby door, and which would also be right for Peterborough. This one fits the bill- just. I'd always fancied it as it was the only loco with the short tender and a football club name, but for most of the '50's it was a Stratford engine, and very unlikely to have got to PN. However, about a month before it was withdrawn it was transferred to March, and would have done some work from there. No doubt when it left Stratford it would have been encrusted in grime, but Andy Rush has told me that March would not have let a loco with their shed plate out in that condition, so it has been cleaned. Sadly it was soon sent to Doncaster for attention, but by then even a minor defect was an excuse for cutting locos up, so it never returned. All this happened in July/August 1958, so it fits my period,just. Another fine job Tim, thanks again.

Beautiful loco; shame about the nameplate!!  (saying that as a person living just a mile away from White Hart Lane and sat next to a Spurs-obsessed Boss at work every day!!)

• RMweb Premium

It's hard to believe that's basically an RTR loco, Tim's superb work not withstanding, that is quite remarkable really.  Gilding the lily indeed with the weathering, I am bowled over by that photo, and I don't particularly like B17's!

My pleasure, Gilbert :).  I have said it before and I will say it again, Hornby did a darn fine job on the B17.  They are definitely a pleasure to work with!  I dare say there will be more? :senile:

By the way, 42573 is now a happy (and smooth) runner, thanks to a front wheelset change. :)

• Like 1

Another of Tim's regular visits has just ended, and there have been developments. :O  I'll let you in on this exciting news later, when I have a bit more time, but for now here is a shot of the latest new arrival.attachicon.gif30.jpg

Tim had two more B17's waiting to assume new identitiies, but there is a hold up while he gets his hands on appropriate smokebox doors for the locos I want, so I decided to try to find one which would be right with the current Hornby door, and which would also be right for Peterborough. This one fits the bill- just. I'd always fancied it as it was the only loco with the short tender and a football club name, but for most of the '50's it was a Stratford engine, and very unlikely to have got to PN. However, about a month before it was withdrawn it was transferred to March, and would have done some work from there. No doubt when it left Stratford it would have been encrusted in grime, but Andy Rush has told me that March would not have let a loco with their shed plate out in that condition, so it has been cleaned. Sadly it was soon sent to Doncaster for attention, but by then even a minor defect was an excuse for cutting locos up, so it never returned. All this happened in July/August 1958, so it fits my period,just. Another fine job Tim, thanks again.

Hi Gilbert

Great choice of loco for the B17, being born in Tottenham and a life long Spurs supporter I can think of no better loco from the class.

Maybe No 61648 Arsenal in condemned condition would be a close second, only joking.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

As promised. exciting developments. Not only have I learned how to record a video, but with a little help even to get it on here. Be gentle, first attempt, forgot not to talk during it, but its a start. You should see another exciting development too actually.

• Like 10

As promised. exciting developments. Not only have I learned how to record a video, but with a little help even to get it on here. Be gentle, first attempt, forgot not to talk during it, but its a start. You should see another exciting development too actually.

Errrrr Gilbert? Don't know what I've done to upset you, but clicking on the vid. gives me a message.."This video is private".

Sad of Kelmscott WA,

Peter C.

• RMweb Premium

GB

You need to go into video manager settings in Youtube and select the 'public' setting so we can all see it...

Should be ok then

David

• Like 1

Mr Duck movement starts about ! min in .Must admit at first I thought Gilbert had recorded Pink Floyds "Alans psychadelic breakfast".Can we please have more clank from the WD. Thank you, young Mr Hitchcock

Edited by simon hudson