Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Having rediscovered an unwanted and soul destroying talent for hitting golf balls at right angles to the intended direction :ireful: I have realised that it is probably a good idea to do something else for a change, so I've had another look at the cassettes. Easy enough to attach velcro as suggested by our ever helpful duck, but unfortunately the backing would not stick properly to MDF. Application of super glue seems to have solved the problem though, and I finished up with this.post-98-0-61049500-1369043460_thumb.jpg

It wouldn't win any prizes for aesthetic appearance, but it doesn't need to.post-98-0-30650100-1369043594_thumb.jpg

A somewhat out of focus, (camera hand held) shot of the unit from above. I've bought some cheap foam stuff and glued a bit to each end to stop stock hitting something hard if and when the cassette gets tilted.post-98-0-93302700-1369043755_thumb.jpgpost-98-0-86203500-1369043809_thumb.jpg

The attachment of the block of foam at the "open" end has made me wonder whether that alone would suffice to hold the stock in place. It is after all similar to Jonathan's suggestion of scouring pads, and I suspect somewhat cheaper. It will only be an interference fit though, so I'm not at all sure if it will be strong enough, and I don't want to find out the expensive way, so I'll try to find a couple of stock items that are expendable and see what happens.

Overall though I'm very happy with it. It works well, and even my first and slightly non square effort doesn't derail the stock, so now I can start to fill the rest up, and knock up a storage rack for them. This really will add to the flexibility of operation, and eventually more variety in the trains.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Appreciate the mention G. Anyhow, your cassettes look good, however I am worried that they resemble my 'fine-scale' buildings during construction although you are using thinner and lightweight materials.

Quick.

This layout really is something with Peter's fine buildings everywhere. Unless he has built himself a new layout recently, Peterborough is at the opposite end of the spectrum from Peters modest L&Y brachline terminus.

Edited by coachmann

:blush: :senile:  Sorry James. York isn't that far South of Tyneside though, is it? :jester:

To my London based friends the 'norf' is anywhere north of Watford so to them at least, Yorkshire and Tyneside are very, very close!

Been lurking on this thread since my chosen sabbatical and the buildings and stock really do look good.  I'm very pleased for you Gilbert and it's light years ahead of your earlier layout.

Oh, and not quite golf, but an hour on Trackman with our pro, mapping out every club.  I now have a ton of data to analyse and work out the best way forward.  Yes, it was windy and for most of the time quite wet.  At least were in a covered bay....