Peterborough North

great northern

Not only have I learned how to record a video, but with a little help even to get it on here. Be gentle, first attempt, forgot not to talk during it, but its a start.

Very nice to see (and hear!) another dimension to PN, GN! Can you remember not to breath as well as not to talk when the camera is running. Damn sensitive those microphones. Either that or put one of those wonderful Peter Handford Argo Transacord recordings on the Gramophone player :sarcastic:

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant first attempt GB; nice smooth filming - have to say though it worked better for me with the sound off as it's much less distracting!!

Once you get going with this, you can add an edited soundtrack with all the right noises in the right places, but let's walk before running!!

Liked and Subscribed...more please!

David

• Like 1

Great video, liked the moving signals too!

Mike

Agreed!  You're not the only one who likes the moving signals...  One or two of them took a bit of work to behave correctly, but after they were told a few choice words of Anglo-Saxon, they decided to toe the line nicely :triniti:

• RMweb Premium

I've subscribed to the channel! I'd suggest you create a better video title though! I look forward to more videos too :D

Thanks. it will be little by little though, as hopefully I gradually get to understand how to do it.

• RMweb Premium

Very nice to see (and hear!) another dimension to PN, GN! Can you remember not to breath as well as not to talk when the camera is running. Damn sensitive those microphones. Either that or put one of those wonderful Peter Handford Argo Transacord recordings on the Gramophone player :sarcastic:

I'm 100% with you on the talking, but the breathing bit I find essential, so I'll just have to stand further away. Or perhaps the lovely blonde lady with the two spaniels walked past the window while it was recording. That would certainly account for some heavy breathing. :biggrinclear:

• RMweb Premium

Congratulations to Mike ( Fishytrains), first to spot that the other exciting development was the first working signals. courtesy of Tim, who spent a long time under the baseboards last week getting some of them to operate. He actually managed to do seven arms, nearly a third of the total, which considering the very cramped working conditions was a great effort. We didn't manage to get all of the Down Main ones done though, which is why I haven't yet featured those.

The first part of the video was there to show the signals coming off, but I hadn't realised how long it would take the WD to get round from the fiddle yard, and I couldn't get to the controls to speed it up without appearing in person! Anyway, first attempt, at least it worked, and I hope to get better at it with more experience.

Excellent day today, visit by Rob and Mick from Wolverhampton MRC and lots of trains run, including the first real test of the cassette system, which I'm pleased to say worked really well. It takes remarkably little time and effort to set them up and unload, and they give so much more operational potential it's hard to believe. Add in a good curry tonight with Tom Wright and Richard Wilson joining us, and that made about as good a birthday as I could have wished for, though the lovely blonde with the two spaniels would have been the icing on the cake. :jester:  I'd still like to know a way to stop the age counter clicking on yet further though.

• Like 2

Hi Gilbert,

Many happy returns, I didn't know it was your Birthday, hope you enjoyed your day, you must be getting on for your late 40s I guess :-)

cheers

Peter.

Peter,

I can't believe you can build such superb buildings when your eyesight is clearly far from perfect.  :jester:  :jester: .

Seriously Gilbert,

Many Happy Returns on this your  **th Birthday. and may I wish you many more.    :imsohappy:

Regards ,Derek.

Happy Birthday Gibert.

Enjoyed the video of the WD with working signals.  excellent stuff.

When taking video, its all too easy to add some sound effects.  I was at the home of The Gresley Beat in Kent in 2011 with a new video camera and shooting footage with some comments which I could have done without.  All down to experience.

Would love to get back so to see more UK based layouts.  But must save up for that.

Just finished building a couple of Parkside Dundas wagons, a bogie brick and Trestle.  Now to add decals.

Mark in OZ

*snip*

The first part of the video was there to show the signals coming off, but I hadn't realised how long it would take the WD to get round from the fiddle yard, and I couldn't get to the controls to speed it up without appearing in person!

*snip*

*cough*

Someone has been hanging out with Gen Y too long, me thinks...  

*cough*

I remember the days when I was trackside, and the signal came off, and we'd be waiting 15 minutes before a train appeared...

*cue Four Yorskhiremen*

".. 15 minutes?  Luxury.  You were lucky to have a signal.  We used to sit trackside from sun up to sun down, just waiting for a DMU.  

A DMU?  We dreamed of seeing a DMU..."

And on that note, many Happy returns for your birthday, Gilbert.

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

I enjoyed the video but I am concerned about the slotting arrangement of the signal. My understanding of a is when the home signal returns to danger, irrespective of how the signalman in the advance box has set his distant signal it should return to caution at the same time as the home signal returns to danger due to the mechcanical arrangement of the slotting on the signal post.

See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42645#p647511

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

I enjoyed the video but I am concerned about the slotting arrangement of the signal. My understanding of a is when the home signal returns to danger, irrespective of how the signalman in the advance box has set his distant signal it should return to caution at the same time as the home signal returns to danger due to the mechcanical arrangement of the slotting on the signal post.

See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42645#p647511

Hi Clive,

This was partly a senior moment. Being even more senior than I was the previous day. i keyed in the command for the distant first, and of course with the camera running it was too late to do anything about it. I was concerned myself though that both should have returned to danger at the same time, but the problem is that they are worked by separate Tortoises, and thus have different accessory numbers on my NCE system. I'll have another look at the manual and the instructions for the accessory decoder to see if we can work both off the same command, though I'm not confident that it can be done. Tim is a very bright young chappie though, so maybe he can come up with something.

• RMweb Premium

Lovely stuff.

True Clive, but I often watched motor driven distants in my old area (NE England) take a couple of seconds to begin to drop slowly after the home arm returned.  Thus enabling the spectacle (sorry!) of seeing a distant arm still off when the home had returned.  Just saying...  ;-)

Hi Clive,

This was partly a senior moment. Being even more senior than I was the previous day. i keyed in the command for the distant first, and of course with the camera running it was too late to do anything about it. I was concerned myself though that both should have returned to danger at the same time, but the problem is that they are worked by separate Tortoises, and thus have different accessory numbers on my NCE system. I'll have another look at the manual and the instructions for the accessory decoder to see if we can work both off the same command, though I'm not confident that it can be done. Tim is a very bright young chappie though, so maybe he can come up with something.

Does the home signal Tortoise have a spare pair of contacts?

Guest jonte

As promised. exciting developments. Not only have I learned how to record a video, but with a little help even to get it on here. Be gentle, first attempt, forgot not to talk during it, but its a start. You should see another exciting development too actually.

Fabulous, Gilbert!!!!

Excellent quality video; top quality model.

Well worth the wait. 

Jonte

• RMweb Gold

Agreed!  You're not the only one who likes the moving signals...  One or two of them took a bit of work to behave correctly, but after they were told a few choice words of Anglo-Saxon, they decided to toe the line nicely :triniti:

Looks like the slotting on that distant wasn't listening Tim!

No expensive blondes (or spaniels) until after the goods train cassettes are properly filled..... :nono:

Great video, apart from the sticky slot (wrong side failure)

Happy birthday

Andy

:devil:

• RMweb Premium

Ah yes, harsh reality intrudes. The lady is at least thirty years younger than I, can probably run much faster, and does indeed look very expensive. Helpless longing is the order of the day I think. :maninlove: Filling the goods train cassettes will be much cheaper, though I will probably be upsetting Andy by saying that it will also be somewhat less satisfying.