Wagon Turntable

Hi, I've reached the stage on my layout when I need to make a couple of wagon turntables.

I am in EM so the Peco one won't do.

It will not be required to be working.

I have some photos of L&Y ones, but would appreciate if anyone has any knowledge or dimensional drawings or photos of what I presume is an item not specific to particular railways, also how you built them.

• RMweb Premium

Try and find a copy of '19th century railway drawings in 4mm scale' by Alan Prior, published by David & Charles ISBN 0 7153 8006 0 this has detailed scale drawings of a late Victorian wagon turntable.

Try and find a copy of '19th century railway drawings in 4mm scale' by Alan Prior, published by David & Charles ISBN 0 7153 8006 0 this has detailed scale drawings of a late Victorian wagon turntable.

This might help http://www.metalsmit...n-turntable.htm and there is a good clear picture of a PECO one (wrong scale) at http://www.railway-m..._1_1038654.html

There are a few photos available on the net of different styles (rails on deck or flush)

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1001&bih=750&q=wagon+turntable&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

The diameter always seems to be same to match the standard RCH wagon dimensions. I'd say just use the dimension os say an 8 plank body length. It will be a case of if it looks right then it will be.

Thanks for your replies so far.

There are a few photos available on the net of different styles

Doh, I should have thought searching for images.

However, here's one of the ones I want to reproduce a (non-working) model of.

If it uploads, that is.

So given that I will be scratch-building, where can I get some etched brass plate with that sort of design on?

post-8136-128065101198_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your replies so far.

Doh, I should have thought searching for images.

However, here's one of the ones I want to reproduce a (non-working) model of.

If it uploads, that is.

So given that I will be scratch-building, where can I get some etched brass plate with that sort of design on?

The ones I mentioned in the book above are 12 and 13 feet in diameter. Scale Link do etched brass plate in a variety of styles and sizes.

Guest baldrick25

In a similar vein, and spotted today inside the works at SVR Bridgnorth, a wheelset rotator, very similar to a wagon turntable.

2010-08-07425.jpg

Thanks guys for your continuing efforts. It has thrown up some interesting stuff about a neglected but once apparently fairly common part of the railway system.

I love those 19thC techinical drawings. When you see them close enough to see the pen and brush strokes it makes you realise how artistic and proud of their work those people were.

I have been in touch with the L&Y Society, and they tell me there is a drawing of the ones the L&Y made, in the NRM in York, (unfortunately they don't have an accession number for it)

If anyone else has information about wagon turntables, and perhaps their often associated hardware, like capstans and bollards, maybe this thread would be a good place to put it?

There is a good pic of a LNWR TT half way down this page:-

Mill St Goods Depot

And a general article here:-

The theory

A previous RM thread:-

Capstan shunting

• 11 months later...

Apologies for reviving this thread but the following might be of interest.

Many of the illustrations in "19th century railway drawings" referred to in this thread were based on Daniel Kinnear Clark's seminal work "Railway Machinery" published in 1855. This rare book used to be considered beyond the reach of railway modellers but today a full scanned copy can be found for free on Google Books . The link points to the plates section which is scanned seperately. There are several carriage and wagon turntables illustrated in exquisite detail. You can download the book as a .pdf and then copy individual pages into CAD, or just scale and print them.

Now for my question: does anyone know of a commercially available quiet mechansm that would fit within the footprint of one of these turntables in 4mm and automatically step to the 4 quadrature points? Servos seem to ruled out by the need for 360 deg rotation, but something must exist.

As for the process of shunting the carriages and wagons, it seems to me that it would be easier to breed 4mm scales horses than to come up with a workable magnetic or other concealed system. But maybe someone knows better?

• RMweb Gold

As for the process of shunting the carriages and wagons, it seems to me that it would be easier to breed 4mm scales horses than to come up with a workable magnetic or other concealed system. But maybe someone knows better?

I considered various ways of moving wagons in and out of the factory on Laterite & Co - I ended up using a simple bicycle spoke hooked into the coupling loop.

But, thinking this through a bit further... if a sliding rod, under the trackwork, had a powerful enough magnet to attract a suitable ferrous plate under the wagon, then the wagon could be 'pulled' into the siding (for want of a better word) and 'pushed' out again manually. To release the wagon from the magnet once on the turntable - if the table was turned 90 deg to align with the main track, then the rod/magnet should be able to be withdrawn with out pulling the wagon sideways off the table track.

• RMweb Gold

That's interesting - can I ask why you didn't/couldn't use the full size method of capstans and ropes and draw it in and out using a loco? I'm sure I've seen that done in 4mm though tI'm blowed if I can remember what the layout was.

Lots of reasons, mainly though because I wanted the layout to be 'hands off' - everything operated from behind the scenes. Plus, with the internal siding being very much 'internal', there was no way I'd have been able to attach a rope to the wagon.

The layout using capstans & ropes is this one - Mike's 2010 Challenge entry.

• RMweb Premium

Model Railways of April 1973 has plans & info on one at Sudbury GER.

There are some follow up notes, including details of the underneath in Model Railways 1974 October & December. Apparently this info came from an old edition of Encyclopaedia Britannica. Can't tell you much beyond that, I'm sorry.

Kevin Martin

• 2 weeks later...

That's interesting - can I ask why you didn't/couldn't use the full size method of capstans and ropes and draw it in and out using a loco? I'm sure I've seen that done in 4mm though tI'm blowed if I can remember what the layout was.

Possibly the Shipley Club's latest ex GC layout. Mick.

Hi

Surely you don't need 360 rotation, you only need that if you are turning a loco. You will only need 90 as wagons are not 'ended'.

Therefore a servo would be perfect, via a crank.

Good luck, Jeff

High Level make a 'Flyshunter' motorised wagon chassis for just such a purpose.

Guest Natalie Graham

Hi

Surely you don't need 360 rotation, you only need that if you are turning a loco. You will only need 90 as wagons are not 'ended'.

Therefore a servo would be perfect, via a crank.

Good luck, Jeff

It will depend on railway and period. The LNWR used wagon turntables a lot as many of their earlier vans had doors only on one side* so 180 degrees at least would be needed to get the door at the right side to be unloaded, plus another 90 if the wagon is to be turned onto a cross track as well. I read recently that they later removed one line on the wagon turntables so that there was only one length of track rather than the two crossing at right angles in the first decade of the 20th century from memory ( I was looking for something entirely different at the time so didn't take notice of where I read it). I also saw a photo online of an interesting carriage turntable dating from the earliest days of the London and Birmingham which had three tracks on it at 60 degrees to each other.

*another reason was the odd practice of putting goods sheds at 90 to the mainline so they could only be accessed by turntables

• 2 months later...

Archived