Swindon - Kemble re-doubling

Hi All,

Was doing some possession planning today and came across a series of possessions starting in Jan 2013 that are for preparatory work to permit re-doubling between Swindon - Kemble.

I'm guessing to eliminate this as a bottle-neck for diversions during electrification work west of Swindon.

• RMweb Gold

It was listed some years back but I seem to recall Oxford - Worcester made a better case in some way or another so Swindon - Kemble was dropped down the batting order. Now of course the case is much stronger with electrickery works on the horizon on theh Badminton and Box routes. Anything about possible reinstatement of the missing side of the triangle at Bradford Jcn?

• RMweb Gold

There is a major 'enabling' blockade planned for summer 2013 (doing earthworks, moving troughing routes and location cabinets and slewing the existing single line), with a commissioning blockade in spring 2014. In between, I assume that the second track is going to be laid in the same manner as on the OWW, on mid-week night and weekend possessions. The Kemble to Swindon bit is just off my patch, but I'm going to get nosy anyway... :D

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

An interesting link posted by Bob Blackburn on Freightmaster

http://www.urban75.org/railway/kemble-railway-station-gwr.html

Very nice, Kemble is something of an architectural gem that is being well looked after.  The Stationmaster's house is standard GW design - including the porch - but in stone instead of brick.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, i noticed on our daily sheet there are few drivers heading down that way to work some of the trains.

i had the opportunity to learn it but being as i don't know the lines a either end of the worksite it seemed a waste of time

Road learning banbury to didcot/reading instead tomorrow

A couple of extremes in stations in that video, you get the lovely Kemble station and then the bits of wood nailed together that formed the railcar stations ermm halts. Makes you glad for a bus shelter but I do believe the better the station design the more passengers it can generate.

• RMweb Gold

I'd say my presence at Kemble was pretty unwelcome the other day. I went to the booking office to check in and got 50 questions as to why i wanted to take photo's.

hello, hello, whats all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!

are you........local?

• RMweb Gold

Local no. Work there yes.

You shouldn't have been hassled. May be simpler to just quietly walk onto the platform and take your photos. I'll be about there for part of next week, I'll certainly 'deal with' any issues if I see folk being hassled like that. ATOC, NR, BTP guidelines etc,. etc. permit photography....

• RMweb Gold

There are over 40 engineering trains entering and leaving the blockade at the Kemble end over the next 3 weeks. For some, they will come overnight this weekend and next, when the possession extends out to Standish Jct. Others will be worked in and out amongst the hourly FGW shuttle between Gloucester and Kemble.

All trains working beyond the Up platform starting signal (SN149) will require to have a pilotman on board. That includes the FGW shunts from Up platform to Down, running onto the existing single line in the tunnel, plus any engineering train entering or leaving the possession. For the latter, we have a van driven by a PW man on standby to convey the pilotman between the station and the protection, which is just the Swindon-side of Kemble Tunnel.

There are also almost 40 engineering trains working into and out of the block from the Swindon end. Most trains will go in and out from the same end, often in groups of 2 or 3, where the last one in is top & tailed, with locos being 'cascaded' onto the next train inside the possession, prior to coming back out again. Just a small number, probably no more than 6 or 7 from memory, will actually work right through.

All engineering trains at the Kemble end originate from Bescot and are being worked by DBS locos and crews. Due to a relative shortage of DBS crews with Kemble line route knowledge, there will be a degree of footplate relief at Gloucester, thus enabling those with Kemble route knowledge to be 'pooled' locally in Gloucestershire for the Golden Valley section.

The trains from the Swindon end are generally worked to the protection by FLHH locos and crews (originating Hinksey, Eastleigh or Westbury), but with Colas Rail crews taking over from the protection, into the possession.

Apart from general 'housekeeping' jobs such as moving troughing routes, location cabinets and a few signals, there will be track slewing to do, plus some actual track renewals at Oaksey, Minety, Black Dog, Purton, Bremhill (all 'plain line renewals'), plus the installation of new crossovers at Rodbourne Road, Swindon. These latter will be clipped out of use until next Easter, when they will be brought into use. They are a replacement for the two crossovers on the Kemble line curve at Swindon Loco Yard, and will be to an easier geometry.

The Captain will be going Travelling next week and the week after. I will be taking photos...

• RMweb Gold

Here are a few pre-blockade photos to be getting on with (track-side ones all taken under appropriate track safety conditions):.

Kemble station and tunnel area:

post-57-0-57056900-1376152921.jpg

post-57-0-97281200-1376152947.jpg

post-57-0-31518000-1376152958.jpg

post-57-0-66611200-1376152969.jpg

post-57-0-64965800-1376152980.jpg

post-57-0-35176400-1376152996.jpg

post-57-0-62996500-1376153005.jpg

Oaksey Halt (the old platforms have already been bulldozed away):

post-57-0-32684500-1376153033.jpg

post-57-0-40996800-1376153044.jpg

Purton old station:

post-57-0-04546400-1376153057.jpg

Outskirts of Swindon:

post-57-0-71217300-1376153082.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Last time I was at Kemble I had a wander around, took a few pictures and had no issues at all. Mind you I didn't go to the booking office to 'check-in' so that is probably why I didn't get the Spanish Inquisition treatment.

• RMweb Gold

Last time I was at Kemble I had a wander around, took a few pictures and had no issues at all. Mind you I didn't go to the booking office to 'check-in' so that is probably why I didn't get the Spanish Inquisition treatment.

You know what, I really don't think that the 'sign in to take photos' rule was ever really intended for rural stations with relatively few passengers..., (accepting that Kemble can get it's fair share of custom at peak times, but not so much during the day)...

Archived